Player Watch Pick #16 (2020, match NGA bid) - Lachie Jones

Remove this Banner Ad

How the fu** has he got his own show boy oh boy wow wee.
Cost cutting. They offered him and bickley a few slabs of beer a week, Bickley said no, Rowe said fine by me.

Lachie gets initiated to 5aark. Skip to the 2 minute mark to avoid the ads and Crows talk...

He is a crackkup in the interview ... So much a country lad.
SR: Lachie, welcome
LJ: Cheers, how ya goin'?

Then when asked about how he is feeling about being on the list....
SR: So, Lachie, are you loving it?
LJ: 'Course I am!

I love it.

So comments that stand out
1] He has trimmed down quite a bit, turned fat into muscle - Very noticeable now
2] "Rozee is smashing it"
3] Very impressed with Hayes ... his words "he is dominating"
4] AA & Fantasia both playing brilliantly, regarding AA, "he was on fire" on Saturday

Noice.

Love the flowing hair and mo.

Why does he remind me of Greg Phillips, am I going senile?

Not just you, I mentioned a little while back that there are definite similarities between the young Greg Phillips and Lachie.

Not just you, I mentioned a little while back that there are definite similarities between the young Greg Phillips and Lachie.

He's just so solid. Thighs, calves, upper body and arms. But not in the puppy fat way Wines did at 18. He looks like he's 25 and been in the system for 7 years. Also look fearless and will run through any campaigner without blinking.

He's just so solid. Thighs, calves, upper body and arms. But not in the puppy fat way Wines did at 18. He looks like he's 25 and been in the system for 7 years. Also look fearless and will run through any campaigner without blinking.
Once he runs thru a couple of players that campaigner at the MRO will target him. Bookmark it.

I like in the interview when he hit Corcoran, ‘I hadn’t had an impact with the ball so took my opportunity to impose myself’ or something along these lines. It’s that mentality we have been missing/manufacturing from 2015-2019 that lead us to mediocrity. Last year and now this year, this ‘impact’ matches feels genuine.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He's gonna have to impress in the pre-season games against West Coast and West Lakes to ensure he plays round 1. Right now our window is wide open to go for a flag. We have a young-ish team in some spots and need to develop some players, but not at the expense of potentially hurting our on-field performance right now.

I see our back seven as Jonas, AA, Burton, Harlett, Houston, DBJ and McKenzie. I think Clurey and Jones are the next two guys off the rank, and then there's Bonner and Bergman who will also push for a spot at times this year.

I like Lachie and think he will have a great career at Port Adelaide, but I don't think he's a walk up start in round 1 by any means on the proviso of everyone being healthy.

You guys might very well be right, but watching him in the trial get a reality check in the first half, then fight his way back to have quite a good second half. I just get the feeling that this kid has the old-school Port mentality that when his back is against the wall, he will bust his balls to get success.

Going to be a fun few weeks to see who stands up in the pre-season hitouts & puts their name in the starting-22.

If that's the case, then maybe not cracking the 22 from round 1 will be the motivation he needs to have even more of an impact when he does eventually crack it. Jones strikes me as a guy who'll play his best footy if he's playing with a 'I'll show you for not picking me Ken you campaigner' type attitude.
I hope not,we want someone who plays for the love of the jumper,love of the club,to be the best he can be,not someone who is motivated by trying to prove a point to his coach.

I hope not,we want someone who plays for the love of the jumper,love of the club,to be the best he can be,not someone who is motivated by trying to prove a point to his coach.
Good players all have, and are driven by, that mongrel will to succeed. You often hear in interviews how getting dropped drives them to prove the coaches wrong. Smart coaches use that effectively to spur players on.

However I agree that more is needed. The great club champions then couple that with the two motivators you mention. You really need all three IMO.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back