Suns in the Media - Part I

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wasn't suggesting he would play for us, although technically he would be a free agent next year and could sign for any club if he wanted to...

I was suggesting he could get involved in coaching/mentorship with our young group. Could you imagine the kind of thrill guys like Izak Rankine or Ben King would get out of having Buddy Franklin coach them on their forward craft? I mean we're literally talking about a top 5 forward of all time!

Tippett seemingly had no interest in getting involved until Dew got in his ear. Maybe that's all it's going to take? Plus, Dewy and Buddy go way back. They were '08 Premiership teammates which is a much longer relationship than Shaw or Tippett.
I can see us signing Buddy to a 9 year / $10m contract as an assistant coach ;)

I wasn't suggesting he would play for us, although technically he would be a free agent next year and could sign for any club if he wanted to...

I was suggesting he could get involved in coaching/mentorship with our young group. Could you imagine the kind of thrill guys like Izak Rankine or Ben King would get out of having Buddy Franklin coach them on their forward craft? I mean we're literally talking about a top 5 forward of all time!

Tippett seemingly had no interest in getting involved until Dew got in his ear. Maybe that's all it's going to take? Plus, Dewy and Buddy go way back. They were '08 Premiership teammates which is a much longer relationship than Shaw or Tippett.
Tippet has zero feel for the game in my opinion, he was an athlete and you can’t teach someone to be an athlete. Waste of time having him around

to me it’s like having Wayne Carey as a coach, he would say mark the ball and kick the goal,. Sounds simple but you have to have that ball reading ability AND the athletic skill to pull it off. Plus you would be too worried that he’s shagging your missus to listen anyway

The SPECIMEN - 196cm, 106kg

Patrick Murtagh is the 196cm rookie who has been growing so rapidly that the football department has requested his time in the gym be cut in half.
“The other first and second year players have got gym four times a week, I just have it twice,” Murtagh said.
“They told me to reduce it two weeks ago. I have been told that my athleticism, size, speed and endurance is where it needs to be so I just need to concentrate on my footy.

Murtagh put on 10kg of muscle mass in the off-season while managing to keep his body fat at just 11 per cent.
“I’m lucky because mum is from Papua New Guinea so I have been gifted with a good metabolism,” Murtagh said.

Here is what Murtagh eats on just a standard day off on the weekend.

BREAKFAST: Omelette consisting of six to eight eggs, ham, cheese, onion and spinach and barbecue sauce. Two toast. If he is feeling extra hungry Murtagh will cook two sausages and mix them in to make scrambled eggs.

MORNING TEA: A bowl of yoghurt with protein powder, creatine, oats and banana with a protein shake on the side.

LUNCH: Four sausages, rice, potatoes and a plate of greens.

15 MINUTES AFTER LUNCH: Pre-made meal, including lasagne or pasta.

AFTERNOON TEA: Two steak sandwiches, chips and mixed vegetables.

30 MINUTES BEFORE DINNER: Bowl of pasta.

DINNER: Fried rice, including everyone else’s leftovers.

DESSERT: Another serving of fried rice.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

fu** me - it's all muscle too - give Majak Daw a run for his money as the next AFL specimen
Big and heavy is useless in AFL , need to move well . Hawkins cut weight to prolong their career m

I watched Mark Blicavs run around at a training camp in December 2012 with the rest of the Geelong Cats.
Lapped them when they ran some laps, but did not look like a footballer at all.
It can be done but suggest it is a longshot.

wow... wtf. 106kg..
How the heck did he put on 10k of muscle in one off season... surely that does not happen very often.
Unreal! I have posted about his size a few times in this sub forum but it's nice to see the actual numbers. 10kgs of muscle in a shortened off season at the age of 20 is just insane. The only explanation is that Murtagh has been gifted genetically because that's just crazy growth for any athlete that age, let alone a tall!

QnnAenL.jpg

The SPECIMEN - 196cm, 106kg

Murtagh put on 10kg of muscle mass in the off-season while managing to keep his body fat at just 11 per cent.
“I’m lucky because mum is from Papua New Guinea so I have been gifted with a good metabolism,” Murtagh said.
Perhaps his Papua New Guinean blood has blessed him genetically to reach an enormous size compared to others his age? Reminds me of Mal Michael having grown up in Queensland with a mother from PNG and an Australian father. Big Mal was huge in his day - about 100kgs at 190cm according to sources online. To put that in perspective, Dangerfield is the same height as Mal Michael and plays in the era of big bodied midfielders but is still giving up 4-5kgs when compared to Mal Michael back then. However, MM was that size in the peak of his career through his mid to late 20s but was only 88kgs at the age of 21 when playing for Collingwood.

Murtagh only turned 21 last week and is already heavier than Buddy Franklin! Big Bud is 196cm just like Murtagh and weighs 105kgs and we now know Murtagh is 106kgs. Even Kurt Tippett was 6cms taller yet played at a lighter weight of 105kgs. 11% body fat percentage also shows it's almost entirely muscle that Murtagh has put on over the off season. Just imagine what's possible if we can actually teach this kid to kick a footy at a high level. A two prong forward line of the hulking Murtagh physically dominating one-on-one contests and the lighter framed Ben King playing as a lead up forward... We're allowed to dream on this forum :D

In all seriousness, 2021 is a big year for Murtagh because he'll be given the opportunity to learn and develop against really high level defenders in the VFL. If he can find a way to thrive in this competition then we may just have something special on our hands!

Wonder if he is the reason for them letting Wrihght go. They could see him being that double forward tag team with Ben King once Day retires.

Wonder if he is the reason for them letting Wright go. They could see him being that double forward tag team with Ben King once Day retires.
Could be. I know they've also given Conroy plenty of opportunities to develop into a key forward but obviously Murtagh is physically gifted and that's probably getting our coaches excited in terms of his prospects. I suppose they are generally just hoping either one of them can step up when it's Day's time to step aside. King, Murtagh and Conroy were all born in the same year so that's probably a really good thing when you talk about creating a tag team duo up forward.

had a chat to him last year at the meet the recruits night. he seemed a bit anxious about the whole thing having not played much footy, but he seemed real genuine and wanted to give it his best go. also, he was an absolute unit back then too haha
Makes sense. We're talking about a guy that was playing QAFL reserves footy less than two years ago so you can certainly understand why he would feel that way.

Having Kurt Tippett work with him may be exactly what he needs to believe he has a genuine shot at making it. Tippett similarly picked up footy really late after dedicating his time to basketball for most of his teenage years but obviously had the physical attributes one needed to make the transition with next to no footy experience. Just like Murtagh, Tippett was an overager when he was drafted and no doubt he also felt anxious when the Crows drafted him because he had literally played less than 50 games of football in his life. Tippett then did his time in the SANFL during the 2007 season and showed enough to debut in round 1 of 2008. That's the kind of pathway Murtagh should be aspiring to follow and having a guy by your side who did exactly what you're trying to do should help.

had a chat to him last year at the meet the recruits night. he seemed a bit anxious about the whole thing having not played much footy, but he seemed real genuine and wanted to give it his best go. also, he was an absolute unit back then too haha
Watching in the VFL is going to be an absolute joy!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back