Apr 24, 2013
Arden Street Hill
Essendon Lawn Bowls Club
LDU will be a star. So classy. Has that intangible Simon Black/Scott Pendlebury type quality of making the game slow down around him.

Needs to get his disposal numbers up before truly being considered elite, but when he does he'll have more impact on a game with 20-25 disposals than a lot of mids have with 30-35.

You know your football.

It's not parochialism on my behalf, so forget that he plays for North, as a kid with his talent would be good anywhere.

The two standouts on the training track at North have been Simpkin, who approaches footy with the discipline of a Shaolin monk and has won all the time trials, and Davies-Uniake who WILL arrive in 2021 (take note supercoachers)

I mean, check this out for poise (in the pouring rain):

I'm prepared to cop the barbs that come with making grandiose statements, but I honestly believe LDU can become a top 5 AFL player.

EskimoPAFC

The Comebacks & Family Man
Dec 17, 2017
Success without Premierships
Fair enough, although I figure you must rate North very poorly at the moment.

The team that is likely to take the field is going to be stronger than the side that played Port last season.

In: Cunnington, Corr, Stephenson, Garner, Taylor, Thomas, Turner.
Out: Higgins, Dumont, Hosie, Perez, Vickers Willis, Williams, Wood.

Higgins is the only definite out that would walk in to our round 1 team, with Dumont being a possible and the other 5 players being superceded with the likely round 1 replacements. It's a big difference & Cunnington alone is a significant addition. Perez will be a player, but he's still developing, and the other 4 players have been delisted.

Please don't take this to mean that I think North will win the match. My view is that's it's possible, but not probable at this stage.

I'll be disappointed if we aren't competitive.

I mean I do, but I'd back us vs anybody round 1, especially this year.

We've lost one round 1 game since Ken took over (7-1 W-L), against Fremantle in 2015 at Subiaco.

We get excited with all the pre-season hype and play an unrestrained creative brand of football round 1 that's virtually unbeatable, then get worse as the season goes on and we have poor selection decisions and fall under the pressure of expectations.

Apr 24, 2013
Arden Street Hill
Essendon Lawn Bowls Club
I mean I do, but I'd back us vs anybody round 1, especially this year.

....and so you should as you're a good side at the top of their game.

If not for the competition getting played in a swamp in 2020, then you could very well be the reigning premiers

I just would not get too caught up in the hype about how bad North was, particularly in the 2nd half of 2020, as they were literally throwing magnets at the board with player positions, and we had significant injuries.

Likewise, I don't make any correlation with what happened between our sides at the end of 2019.

I'll be surprised if it's a blowout.

So North Melbourne will offer him a million a year then.

1613432732354.png

Mar 10, 2008
adelaide
You know your football.

It's not parochialism on my behalf, so forget that he plays for North, as a kid with his talent would be good anywhere.

The two standouts on the training track at North have been Simpkin, who approaches footy with the discipline of a Shaolin monk and has won all the time trials, and Davies-Uniake who WILL arrive in 2021 (take note supercoachers)

I mean, check this out for poise (in the pouring rain):

I'm prepared to cop the barbs that come with making grandiose statements, but I honestly believe LDU can become a top 5 AFL player.

This just in: football player breaks tackle. The next Jasper Pittard?

EskimoPAFC

The Comebacks & Family Man
Dec 17, 2017
Success without Premierships
....and so you should as you're a good side at the top of their game.

If not for the competition getting played in a swamp in 2020, then you could very well be the reigning premiers

I just would not get too caught up in the hype about how bad North was, particularly in the 2nd half of 2020, as they were literally throwing magnets at the board with player positions, and we had significant injuries.

Likewise, I don't make any correlation with what happened between our sides at the end of 2019.

I'll be surprised if it's a blowout.

The other side of this is that if it is a blowout with Port winning by 50+ I wouldn't take much from it for Norf.

If we revert to the way the side went in 2015-2019 under Ken we could easily win round 1 by 70 then play you again in round 18 with it all on the line and lose by a similar margin.

Coobk001

Mar 26, 2007
SA Spurs, Anaheim Ducks, White Sox
Fair enough, although I figure you must rate North very poorly at the moment.

I'll be disappointed if we aren't competitive.

lol this is Janus level stuff. You post it like it's a surprise someone doesn't rate North. Fact: No-one outside of North rates you.

1613435249039.png

You lost your last 8 straight and really were extremely lucky not to win the spoon last year.

It's not chest beating, it's fact. I love your optimism, but the Roos have a trash side and list and it'd be a real disappointment if we didnt win comfortably. If you were competitive and/or won, all hell would break loose on this forum.

Apr 24, 2013
Arden Street Hill
Essendon Lawn Bowls Club
You equate pre-season AFL football betting markets with football intelligence? :D

I swooped on the $3.50 for Port for the top 8 in last seasons markets because the idiots had blown them out so far.:thumbsu:

JUSTWORK

Aug 25, 2013
lol this is Janus level stuff. You post it like it's a surprise someone doesn't rate North. Fact: No-one outside of North rates you.

View attachment 1058815

You lost your last 8 straight and really were extremely lucky not to win the spoon last year.

It's not chest beating, it's fact. I love your optimism, but the Roos have a trash side and list and it'd be a real disappointment if we didnt win comfortably. If you were competitive and/or won, all hell would break loose on this forum.
Surely crows are spoon favourites? #backtoback

Coobk001

Mar 26, 2007
SA Spurs, Anaheim Ducks, White Sox
You equate pre-season AFL football betting markets with football intelligence? :D
No but it indicates clearly where people rate them. You said someone didn't rate you, and I highlighted that no-one rates you.

Odds can always be wrong, they are driven by peoples opinions and their associated money. And right now there's no doubting peoples opinions of the Roos, and that is that the Roos are RED HOT favourites for the spoon, and realistically they should be.

It's ok to have hope, I mean good on ya, but when you're in here talking about thinking you'll be competitive and possibly beat last years minor premier, you're clearly ignoring the reality that you're the spoon fav, and for good reason, and a result like that would be a massive upset, absolutely massive. So that sorta pie in the sky stuff should probably be on your own board, not ours. Believe in whatever fantasies you want, but reality is your list is in all sorts of trouble. As a Roos supporter I hope for your sake underneath you are prepared to win a spoon, because avoiding the spoon, or maybe avoiding the bottom 2 would probably be a pass mark for the Roos.

Willsy10

Apr 3, 2014
Less than 20 minor round games ago North absolutely flogged us in arguably our most embarrassing loss since the 2011-12 shellackings.

I still haven't quite worked out what the hell happened that night but haven't our respective fortunes changed dramatically since that awful Saturday night at the Docklands.

All logic points to a comfortable round 1 win for us but you never know with North Melbourne, we've had some bizarre blowout wins/losses against them over the journey. They've beaten/flogged us when you wouldn't expect them to and vice versa.

Apr 24, 2013
Arden Street Hill
Essendon Lawn Bowls Club
No but it indicates clearly where people rate them.

I don't care much for the common person's views on footy mate. If you reckon this is a sure thing then get on. :thumbsu:

If you find some odds on North not finishing last then please let me know.

Apr 24, 2013
Arden Street Hill
Essendon Lawn Bowls Club
On face value, I just don't see who is going to kick a lot of goals for North to be regularly competitive.

Good point.

North's defence is going to be structured very differently compared to what you have seen in the B.Scott era. There won't be a lot of rebounding defenders all running forward once possession is established because they have identified the turnovers that come from this as our ultimate achilles heel. The drills have been heavily focused on maintaining possession/structure in defence and getting the ball down through the middle of the ground when we attack, so expect the blowouts either way to diminish. There's been a heavy focus on corridor footy.

No doubt the Port scouts are on to this.

I'd expect a very comfortable win, but you never know who will rise or fall down the ladder.

Especially considering our turbulent game history, they have been a hoodoo for us. I would expect us to win with the quality players on our list, we will see.....

Oct 12, 2007
The Hills