Movie What's the last movie you saw? (5)

Status
Not open for further replies.

2006_Eagles

Brownlow Medallist
10k Posts BeanCoiNFT Investor Spooderman Meme Medal
Sep 6, 2015
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Pelicans, Perf Wildcats
Another Round - Mads Mikkelsen-starring Danish film about four high school teacher friends, bored and dispassionate about their work and their lives, who decide to partake in an experiment after one discovers a philosophy that the optimal human blood alcohol content is 0.05%, and so take to trying to maintain this consistent alcohol level through the school day, becoming more engaging teachers in the process. Of course, this cannot last, and the desire to up the level goes disastrously. Excellent film, with both comedy and drama well balanced, and great performances from its excellent cast giving an enjoyable study of mid-life crises (watched on my birthday, so that hit home).

Best concept for a film ever

Mar 26, 2008
Fight Club
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
76ers, Storm, Broad St.
Malcolm & Marie - Not without complete merit, but not particularly interesting beyond its meta commentary around film criticism, ownership and whatever personal bullshit the writer/director Sam Levinson puts in there. A very good Zendaya performance though. 6.5/10

Judas and the Black Messiah
- Truly don't make films like this anymore. Almost like a Michael Mann movie about the Black Panther movement. Shaka King is a talent. Power rankings of actors and Daniel Kaluuya is an easy top 3. LaKeith Stanfield plays one of the more complicated/interesting/indifferent protagonists put to screen. Easy front runner for best of the year. 9.5/10

RobbyRoy

Norm Smith Medallist
May 3, 2007
Perth
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
Victory
Hollywood will cast the likes of Jason Sudekis, Jason Bateman, Ed Helms, Owen Wilson.
I reckon that would be just about spot on.

Been trying to catch up on 2020 releases lately. The picks of the bunch for me would probably be Saint Maud, The Invisible Man, and His House. I'm not really a horror guy, but these three all worked really well for me.

atlas1

Cancelled
Harry Potter Fan A Star Wars Fan
Nov 6, 2016
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Saving Private Ryan

Another on the list of all time great films. Always forget how good this is until I rewatch it again. Phenomenal performance by so many.

Yep, one of the best comedies

atlas1

Cancelled
Harry Potter Fan A Star Wars Fan
Nov 6, 2016
AFL Club
Hawthorn
It’s slapstick is up there with Platoon?
SociableLawfulHawaiianmonkseal-max-1mb.gif

Judas and the Black Messiah - Truly don't make films like this anymore. Almost like a Michael Mann movie about the Black Panther movement. Shaka King is a talent. Power rankings of actors and Daniel Kaluuya is an easy top 3. LaKeith Stanfield plays one of the more complicated/interesting/indifferent protagonists put to screen. Easy front runner for best of the year. 9.5/10
His CV over the last few years would be right up there:
  • Sicario
  • Get Out
  • Widows
  • Queen & Slim
  • JATBM (which I'm yet to see but very keen for)

Dec 1, 2014
Sydney
AFL Club
Richmond
Synchronic - a sci-fi thriller about two paramedics (Anthony Mackie and Jamie Dornan) who begin discovering people having mysteriously died after having taken a new designer drug called Synchronic. It takes this interesting premise and mystery (it looks as though it's causing people to hallucinate but with their hallucinations coming to life) and pivots into a pretty strange and dull second act, only to kind of redeem itself with the finale. Not terrible, but a bit of a mess of a movie, which doesn't seem to know what it wants to do. The co-directors are talented and there's some interesting stylistic moments and impressive shots, and Mackie gives a solid performance, but it left it a little too late to do as much for me as it could have.

The Nest - In 1980s New York, Jude Law is a successful Wall Street trader who convinces his American wife (Carrie Coon) and children to relocate to his native England, and a large country manor in Surrey. The atmosphere just drips in this one, as the movie is essentially a domestic drama but feels like a thriller, with a constant feeling of terror and foreboding bubbling under the surface while very little happens, really. Law is very good and Coon is fantastic, and continues to be one of the more underrated performers working today. Very good.

Aug 13, 2007
Vancouver
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Oilers
Greenland. Good disaster movie that isn't focused on the special effects of just things blowing up. Focuses more on how society would react with themes of family and forgiveness. Pretty realistic interpretation on how something like a comet strike would go down. Butler and Baccarin were both pretty good. I enjoyed it 8/10.

Mar 17, 2014
AFL Club
Collingwood
Synchronic - a sci-fi thriller about two paramedics (Anthony Mackie and Jamie Dornan) who begin discovering people having mysteriously died after having taken a new designer drug called Synchronic. It takes this interesting premise and mystery (it looks as though it's causing people to hallucinate but with their hallucinations coming to life) and pivots into a pretty strange and dull second act, only to kind of redeem itself with the finale. Not terrible, but a bit of a mess of a movie, which doesn't seem to know what it wants to do. The co-directors are talented and there's some interesting stylistic moments and impressive shots, and Mackie gives a solid performance, but it left it a little too late to do as much for me as it could have.

The Nest - In 1980s New York, Jude Law is a successful Wall Street trader who convinces his American wife (Carrie Coon) and children to relocate to his native England, and a large country manor in Surrey. The atmosphere just drips in this one, as the movie is essentially a domestic drama but feels like a thriller, with a constant feeling of terror and foreboding bubbling under the surface while very little happens, really. Law is very good and Coon is fantastic, and continues to be one of the more underrated performers working today. Very good.
I watched the Nest without knowing anything about it thinking it would be a horror film but its not. I really enjoyed it too, Agree with Carrie Coon take, i reckon she gets an Oscar nom

RobbyRoy

Norm Smith Medallist
May 3, 2007
Perth
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
Victory
Judas and the Black Messiah - Truly don't make films like this anymore. Almost like a Michael Mann movie about the Black Panther movement. Shaka King is a talent. Power rankings of actors and Daniel Kaluuya is an easy top 3. LaKeith Stanfield plays one of the more complicated/interesting/indifferent protagonists put to screen. Easy front runner for best of the year. 9.5/10
Very, very good film. Felt a bit more of an exploration of O'Neil and Hampton early on would have benefitted impact in the last act. Regardless, seriously impressive film.

twotooto

late bloomer
Sep 26, 2015
AFL Club
West Coast
Not really sure where to post this. Will definitely not be everyone's cup of tea.

More of a doco as opposed to a movie.

Accessible on YouTube. Here is the blurb in the description of the video ~

"Murray Siple's feature-length documentary follows a group of homeless men who have combined bottle picking with the extreme sport of racing shopping carts down the steep hills of North Vancouver. This subculture depicts street life as much more than the stereotypes portrayed in mainstream media. The film takes a deep look into the lives of the men who race carts, the adversity they face and the appeal of cart racing despite the risk. Shot in high-definition and featuring tracks from Black Mountain, Ladyhawk, Vetiver, Bison, and Alan Boyd of Little Sparta."

So good. 9/10

Sep 15, 2011
AFL Club
West Coast
Richard Jewell... solid drama about the hero security guard at the ‘96 Olympics who became the main suspect, good performances. Hard not to with the likes of Sam Rockwell and Kathy Bates. Only issue with it is, while it’s not hard to feel sympathetic for Jewel, it’s not at all unreasonable for the FBI to suspect him. He was pretty damn odd. They’d not be doing their job if they didn’t consider him. Felt more for his mum. 7/10

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back