Oppo Camp Jaidyn Stephenson (Traded to Nth Melb. 2020)

Should This Thread Be Kept Open?

• Yes

Votes: 30 54.5%
  • No

Votes: 25 45.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well yes, forwards can play better when given more opportunities, thanks for pointing that out. Regardless of that, he was terrible and regularly make horrific mistakes like missing simple chances and getting caught holding the ball multiple times per game...
You are fond of pointing out outlandish statements from others, then you say this.
Can you please provide proof of "Multiple times per game".
PS Not arguing about his s**t year, just your statement.

He won it in 2018

Come 2020 he was a shadow of that bright spark who burst onto the scene.

If his 2020 form is a true reflection of long term output, than we did well to get a club to take on his contract that was based on 2018 form.
Bro no one took 2020 seriously. 2021 or 2022 might be the next proper season.

We are weaker if a kid can't come in and better Stepho's 2020 output....it won't be hard

We are weaker if we can't find a replacement for Treloar, but we have Sidey fresh and waiting to come back

Flip was an avg contributor in 2020, surely we can push a guy like IQ onto a wing and not lose much, or a kid like Macrae.

The vets we lost off our list - Reid, Varcoe, Beams, Dunne, Langdon - none gave us anything in 2020

The key to weather we slide or improve will be how Howe integrates into the back six, and weather Grundy and DeGoey can have AA quality seasons.

Having an injection of youth on the training track instead of injured veterans will be a positive change.
[/QUOTE]
Are we winning a flag in 2021. Simply put no. Could we have won it in 2018? Simply put yes. The players you are bagging got us there and more and have plenty of good years to give. Stephenson was just about best on ground on the ultimate day. He’s going to be a star when he gets to 24-25.

Are we winning a flag in 2021. Simply put no. Could we have won it in 2018? Simply put yes. The players you are bagging got us there and more and have plenty of good years to give. Stephenson was just about best on ground on the ultimate day. He’s going to be a star when he gets to 24-25.
[/QUOTE]
Just about best on ground? I’ve heard it all now

must have been his 2 goals, 9 disposals. lol even de goey kicked more goals on the GF. But Adams, treloar, Crisp and Langdon all were better than him.

Add Mayne as well. Adams and Langdon the only Pies players in Norm Smith consideration.

Richmond did, and have the flag to prove it.
With an asterix next to it.
The bigger issue here is the Stephenson topic. We threw away the rising star winner in nearly a premiership year. He’s a young potential star that had more talent on the Collingwood than anyone. JT WHE and a few others are ones that should’ve been traded. We also got nothing in return for Him.
You pluck out the rising star winning from pick 7 and trade him two years later?

must have been his 2 goals, 9 disposals. lol even de goey kicked more goals on the GF. But Adams, treloar, Crisp and Langdon all were better than him.
So you are s**t canning his GF performance? 18 year old. First year player. X factor on the day. Forget stats it’s the impact be brought and excitement to the team they saw them get that close. He was in the bests.

So you are sh*t canning his GF performance? 18 year old. First year player. X factor on the day. Forget stats it’s the impact be brought and excitement to the team they saw them get that close. He was in the bests.
Where did I say that? I just said he wasn't the driving factor. He contributed. Plenty were ahead of him. Easy to put him in one of the best goal scorers given de goey only had more than him.

Yeah he kicked 2 goals. De goey kicked 3, better ones.

So you are sh*t canning his GF performance? 18 year old. First year player. X factor on the day. Forget stats it’s the impact be brought and excitement to the team they saw them get that close. He was in the bests.

Who's bests? I don't recall seeing him listed in any official "bests". Or in any media, the Age below a case in point:

WEST COAST 2.2 4.3 8.7 11.13 (79)
COLLINGWOOD
5.1 6.3 8.7 11.8 (74)

Goals: West Coast:
Kennedy 3, Hutchings, Shuey, Sheed, Darling, Yeo, Cripps, Vardy, Rioli. Collingwood: De Goey 3, Cox 2, Stephenson 2, Hoskin-Elliott, Varcoe, Mihocek, Adams.
Best: West Coast: Shuey, Barass, Sheed, Vardy, McGovern, Kennedy, Hurn. Collingwood: Adams, Mayne, Langdon, De Goey, Varcoe, Sier.

Even had Sier and Varcoe listed ahead of him.

People aren't saying he didn't have a reasonable game, just that he was well shy of being among the bests.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Who's bests? I don't recall seeing him listed in any official "bests". Or in any media, the Age below a case in point:

WEST COAST 2.2 4.3 8.7 11.13 (79)
COLLINGWOOD
5.1 6.3 8.7 11.8 (74)

Goals: West Coast:
Kennedy 3, Hutchings, Shuey, Sheed, Darling, Yeo, Cripps, Vardy, Rioli. Collingwood: De Goey 3, Cox 2, Stephenson 2, Hoskin-Elliott, Varcoe, Mihocek, Adams.
Best: West Coast: Shuey, Barass, Sheed, Vardy, McGovern, Kennedy, Hurn. Collingwood: Adams, Mayne, Langdon, De Goey, Varcoe, Sier.

Even had Sier and Varcoe listed ahead of him.

People aren't saying he didn't have a reasonable game, just that he was well shy of being among the bests.
So we had 6 good players on the day? Please sier went off in the second half and part of the reason we lost.

Where did I say that? I just said he wasn't the driving factor. He contributed. Plenty were ahead of him. Easy to put him in one of the best goal scorers given de goey only had more than him.

Yeah he kicked 2 goals. De goey kicked 3, better ones.
Name me 22 players better than Stephenson on the current Collingwood list.

So we had 6 good players on the day? Please sier went off in the second half and part of the reason we lost.
Just give it a break.
So Stephenson was one of the best, but did nothing after qtr time. But Sier was a part of the reason we lost, when he had 21 possessions, 4 tackles & 7 clearances?

Sometimes it's best to just admit it was a silly statement rather than digging yourself a deeper hole.

Last edited:
Just give it a break.
So Stephenson was one of the best, but did nothing after qtr time. But Sier was a part of the reason we lost, when he had 21 possessions, 4 tackles & 7 clearances?

Sometimes it's best to just admit it was a silly statement rather than digging yourself a deeper hole.
I've noticed that That's Gold likes to take a contrary, negative view on all things Collingwood quite often, apparently just for the sake of it.

Add Mayne as well. Adams and Langdon the only Pies players in Norm Smith consideration.

Mayne being 1 of our Best was another Reason why we did not win the Flag

In Feb of 2018 did you think we were a chance to win the 2018 flag??

Sure Flip and Stepho had good 2018s, but they haven't improved since then yet we're being paid like they were top line players. These are the blokes who almost carried us to a flag in 2018

2018 E.W.Copeland Trophy top ten

1. Steele Sidebottom 203 votes (E.W. Copeland trophy)
1. Brodie Grundy 203 votes (E.W. Copeland Trophy)
3. Scott Pendlebury 178 votes (J.J. Joyce Trophy)
4. Jack Crisp 160 votes (J.F. McHale Trophy)
5. Taylor Adams 159 votes (Jack Regan Trophy)
6. Tom Phillips 134 votes
7. Jeremy Howe 132 votes
8. Jordan De Goey 127 votes
9. Josh Thomas 122 votes
10. Brayden Maynard 107 votes

Flip is the only one not with us in 2021, those players plus Moore, Daicos and Elliott give us enough talent to contend, if a couple of kids can impress and we get an OK run on injury front then who knows.

The hope was that Stepho would progress like Daics did and make the leap to a top5 finish in BnF....he went backwards

Love your undying optimism for the club Jen

Still I didn’t say we would be terrible I said we would likely slide down the ladder because of our terrible off season. The slide won’t just be because of the off season it’s also because the list has lost serious talent and we have had to replace that talent with 1st year players. We are weaker in 2021 compared to 2020.

Re the good vibe. Every list is flying currently. Nobody has lost a game, everyone’s recruits are likely
March champions. It’s when a few losses occur, maybe a few players get picked before they are ready that any cracks that are there will start to appear

I hope you are right and things are great. However we as a club have shots ourselves in the foot numerous times this off season and I think it would be a mistake for the club and supporters to shake it off too easily. I think there will still be changes needed and a bit more pain.
To be fair, I think we were already on the slide. I doubt not trading anyone out would have halted the 2021 slide.

In Feb of 2018 did you think we were a chance to win the 2018 flag??

Sure Flip and Stepho had good 2018s, but they haven't improved since then yet we're being paid like they were top line players. These are the blokes who almost carried us to a flag in 2018

2018 E.W.Copeland Trophy top ten

1. Steele Sidebottom 203 votes (E.W. Copeland trophy)
1. Brodie Grundy 203 votes (E.W. Copeland Trophy)
3. Scott Pendlebury 178 votes (J.J. Joyce Trophy)
4. Jack Crisp 160 votes (J.F. McHale Trophy)
5. Taylor Adams 159 votes (Jack Regan Trophy)
6. Tom Phillips 134 votes
7. Jeremy Howe 132 votes
8. Jordan De Goey 127 votes
9. Josh Thomas 122 votes
10. Brayden Maynard 107 votes

Flip is the only one not with us in 2021, those players plus Moore, Daicos and Elliott give us enough talent to contend, if a couple of kids can impress and we get an OK run on injury front then who knows.

The hope was that Stepho would progress like Daics did and make the leap to a top5 finish in BnF....he went backwards
The Superstar averaged single digit possessions in 2020 and 1 goal a game. Yeah he will be missed....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back