The off topic thread 4.0

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
The fact that they're 8x - 10x the size in square kms makes them also not apples and apples.

Not quite sure I follow. Did WA lockdown an area the size of Victoria then?

I just find it a bit ridiculous defending Andrews in this case when those of us who expected no spike in cases going into this lockdown have been proven correct but the "oh you can't use hindsight" gets brought out. We've had multiple case studies of how to handle these situations in NSW, QLD, SA and WA, but I believe (correct me if I'm wrong as I can't remember what SA did) none of those states enacted a total State lockdown. We're now getting closer to the kernel of truth in this with Loon and ADL admitting this is more a case of Dan being overly cautious due to their previous issues. That's a completely different situation then. That's not responding to the cases and the facts on hand, that's using emotions to set policy. And that's why people are frustrated. That's their emotions.

The old "but what if " argument. What you are saying here is that Andrews can not be held accountable for his actions because there always will be a "what if" no matter how you look at things.
They're playing it safe. Better to do too much than not do enough and lose control is the mantra Vic has gone with. As has NZ which is currently seen to be going too far with 3 family cases and then 2 close contacts. When Vic didn't act quick enough and lost control last time was that a better outcome than this shorter 5 day clean up?

Sure ideally there's no slip ups at all. No community outbreaks through errors (nubiliser) or bad luck (frozen goods or airport laundry) would be the ideal scenario. But when there is an outbreak most people would feel it's better to go hard (some say too hard) and early and then get back to pre-COVID life next week. That's how most of the world is seeing both countries from afar

They're playing it safe. Better to do too much than not do enough and lose control is the mantra Vic has gone with. As has NZ which is currently seen to be going too far with 3 family cases and then 2 close contacts. When Vic didn't act quick enough and lost control last time was that a better outcome than this shorter 5 day clean up?

Sure ideally there's no slip ups at all. No community outbreaks through errors (nubiliser) or bad luck (frozen goods or airport laundry) would be the ideal scenario. But when there is an outbreak most people would feel it's better to go hard (some say too hard) and early and then get back to pre-COVID life next week. That's how most of the world is seeing both countries from afar

But again, the issue last time was the cases with unknown sources. That's how the spread got out of control. If there were unknown cases again this time that's a completely different story.

Victoria's pretty big. Yes or no answer - Do you think shutting down the Mallacoota Caravan Park for 5 days had any effect on containing the spread of covid19?
No.

But do I think the Vic govt/police could get up a border to stop people from Vic metro into Vic country in 7 or 8 hours? No.

Should they be able to is another question entirely. Auckland is a much smaller city with only 3-4 checkpoints to get setup and they managed to get that sorted within 5.

WA locked down Perth right? Which has a population of 2 million out of WA's population of 2.6 million.

Sydney+Wollongong+Central Coast was 5.5 million our of NSW total of 7.5 million.

But densities obviously very different. Vic 6.4 million in less than a third of NSW's area.

Like Loonerty said, if he didn't lockdown and we got cases in country Vic, people would have lost their minds.
The lockdown was fine, it was just the extent of it.

But hey its over and we move on. Cost me a couple of grand but i can live with that. Got mates its cost 20k+.

No.

But do I think the Vic govt/police could get up a border to stop people from Vic metro into Vic country in 7 or 8 hours? No.

Should they be able to is another question entirely. Auckland is a much smaller city with only 3-4 checkpoints to get setup and they managed to get that sorted within 5.

There were flights out of Melbourne interstate continuing.

Why didn't other states go into immediate 5 day stage 4 lockdown? I mean surely better safe than sorry right? Terminal 4 is also the domestic terminal and there was a covid hotspot there.

You don't need to setup a border either for a metro stage 4 lockdown.

You said this last time too, any deeper analysis behind that comment? After all as I responded, NSW did something else and no one complained, which sorta indicates a flaw in this observation.

Like I said, I don't think people fully appreciate how much risk NSW government took on through their approach, and how lucky they were, thankfully it worked.

Last edited:

My example of NSW was that the population won't just mindlessly complain. Cruyff was issuing a blanket statement that no matter what was done people would complain.

But again, the issue last time was the cases with unknown sources. That's how the spread got out of control. If there were unknown cases again this time that's a completely different story.
The issue this time was they were afraid of the speed of the transmission even between close contacts. Too afraid of what has proven to be 70% more spreadable overseas. I'd rather that than not.

The issue this time was they were afraid of the speed of the transmission even between close contacts. Too afraid of what has proven to be 70% more spreadable overseas. I'd rather that than not.

But not afraid enough to cancel tickets to the tennis that night.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

There were flights out of Melbourne interstate continuing.

Why didn't other states go into immediate 5 day stage 4 lockdown? I mean surely better safe than sorry right? Terminal 4 is also the domestic terminal and there was a covid hotspot there.

You don't need to setup a border either for a metro stage 4 lockdown.
And what happened to the people when they landed in the other states? Were they told to get tested and isolate?

Everyone who had been through T4 was told to self-isolate until they had a negative test, at least into NSW that was the case. Had a colleague who had to do that having flown on the Sunday.

My example of NSW was that the population won't just mindlessly complain. Cruyff was issuing a blanket statement that no matter what was done people would complain.

I'm sure they would've complained about the strategy had luck not been on your side on this occasion, and these clusters had become an uncontrolled outbreak.

Of course people wouldn't complain if no cases made it out of metro Melb.

But with how quick this spreads, it's impossible to say whether it would have or not.

And people have loved to bash Andrews through all of this, people would have had a field day if it got out of control. And I am sure if he didn't lockdown there would still be people criticising him about something.

But not afraid enough to cancel tickets to the tennis that night.
That was a joke. Won't blindly defend Andrews on poor decisions.

Also feel like the people who brought forward weddings from the Saturday to Friday night were a bit selfish as well.

And what happened to the people when they landed in the other states? Were they told to get tested and isolate?

Everyone who had been through T4 was told to self-isolate until they had a negative test, at least into NSW that was the case. Had a colleague who had to do that having flown on the Sunday.

Same everywhere. Some states went the next step and required quarantine for travellers from Melbourne, I think the airport cafe case was the main trigger.

But what about the people they interacted with? They may have touched something. Someone else may have touched the same surface and contracted covid. Could have gotten out into the community. Why was there no stage 4 lockdown nationwide? Surely it would have been better safe than sorry right?

Yeah, I mean, what if the Sydney outbreak got out of control over Christmas? Would people have given Gladys a free ride if you had to do another major lockdown?

I was actually expecting a full lockdown so no I wouldn't have been pissed off if that had happened. It was all dependent on whether those small clusters grew, and they didn't. Our track and trace has been fantastic but she's not getting praise for the same reason a lot (not all) are criticising Andrews.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back