News Coronavirus (COVID-19) Discussion Thread III - L6ckdown

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yep, and their summer outbreak that required a lockdown in parts of Sydney spread down here and we didn't need anything major, our contact tracing kept it sweet

Again, my point the whole time.

Comparing incidents and outbreaks as if they are like for like is a mug's game.

In hindsight, our contact tracing actually contained this outbreak. Every case has been in the immediate contact tracing bubble. Obviously, there was a point where they lacked confidence that would be the case.

You can compare the aggregate of results over twelve months though. And you can compare responses to individual outbreaks.

Not at all. The Murdoch press gave him a hard time and everyone else may as well have started every question with #istandwithdan.

I worked as a journo here and overseas for a long time. I covered politics here and overseas.

The only thing I've ever seen that can compare to the partisan unhinged bullshit that defined the media coverage of the winter lockdown was the dying days of Gordon Brown's government in the UK.

TONY ABBOTT'S ex chief of staff lobbed at pressers and pretended to be a journo.

The likes of Baxendale (who I trained to a degree lol) were literally making stuff up.

Seb Costello (surname a bit of a hint) was running around just straight up LYING about a spike in suicides, something subsequently disproven by the Coroner.

I'm happy to agree with you that the Andrews Government made serious, terrible mistakes, because they did.

But you're flat out wrong on the media stuff. It was shocking partisan bias, not seen since the Kirner days here.

The Hun and Oz thought they would use a public health emergency to knock off an ideological rival.

Not only is that sickening in of itself, they failed.

I worked as a journo here and overseas for a long time. I covered politics here and overseas.

The only thing I've ever seen that can compare to the partisan unhinged bullshit that defined the media coverage of the winter lockdown was the dying days of Gordon Brown's government in the UK.

TONY ABBOTT'S ex chief of staff lobbed at pressers and pretended to be a journo.

The likes of Baxendale (who I trained to a degree lol) were literally making stuff up.

Seb Costello (surname a bit of a hint) was running around just straight up LYING about a spike in suicides, something subsequently disproven by the Coroner.

I'm happy to agree with you that the Andrews Government made serious, terrible mistakes, because they did.

But you're flat out wrong on the media stuff. It was shocking partisan bias, not seen since the Kirner days here.

The Hun and Oz thought they would use a public health emergency to knock off an ideological rival.

He ignored them. They had nothing left to write about, even the opposition (the worst in living memory) have shut up.

In hindsight, our contact tracing actually contained this outbreak. Every case has been in the immediate contact tracing bubble. Obviously, there was a point where they lacked confidence that would be the case.

You can compare the aggregate of results over twelve months though. And you can compare responses to individual outbreaks.

Because it is a DIFFERENT STRAIN to last time.

A strain known to spread far quicker.

Jeez.

End result is contact tracing DIDN'T fail, despite all the wailing of pantywaists.

We had the same short lockdown at multiple other Australian cities in the same situation.

He ignored them. They had nothing left to write about, even the opposition (the worst in living memory) have shut up.

What Andrews did was Crisis Management 101.

It will be taught in PR and politics courses for decades.

Of course, we all come to these things with our own biases. I would just make a couple of points:

I have no love for Credlin at all but whether you call her a journo or not, she does work for a media organisation and the questions she asked at the press conferences had a significant impact on proceedings. Not because of any lies she told but because of the lies and cover-ups of the Andrews government. By thinking they could run a sham inquiry and lie to the public about what happened, when it happened, and who was responsible, they invited a large amount of press scrutiny on themselves. Andrews' chief of staff was forced to resign because of lies he told the inquiry that were uncovered by Credlin.

You are talking about a small section of the media. There were large chunks of the media that gave Andrews an absolutely free ride including the ABC. In fact, many of the ABC journos were found to be active participants in the IstandwithDan online activities, which include threats of rape against your former colleague.

Of course, we all come to these things with our own biases. I would just make a couple of points:

I have no love for Credlin at all but whether you call her a journo or not, she does work for a media organisation and the questions she asked at the press conferences had a significant impact on proceedings.

Her questions - fed to her straight from Liberal HQ - had stuff all impact.

Sam Maiden, a real journalist currently eviscerating Morrison, put that bullshit to bed.

Not because of any lies she told but because of the lies and cover-ups of the Andrews government. By thinking they could run a sham inquiry and lie to the public about what happened, when it happened, and who was responsible, they invited a large amount of press scrutiny on themselves.

The inquiry found exactly where the blame lay - Victoria Police not doing their job.

Andrews' chief of staff was forced to resign because of lies he told the inquiry that were uncovered by Credlin.

???

Lissie Ratcliffe is his chief of staff. She's a woman. She didn't resign.

I suspect you're thinking of Chris Eccles, the Secretary of DPC, an entirely different person and role.

Telling command of detail though.

You are talking about a small section of the media. There were large chunks of the media that gave Andrews an absolutely free ride including the ABC. In fact, many of the ABC journos were found to be active participants in the IstandwithDan online activities, which include threats of rape against your former colleague.

This is a straight up lie.

The Herald Sun and The Age were both virulently anti Andrews. Both of Melbourne's daily papers taking a political partisan approach.

Which media gave him a free ride?

You're just making stuff up here and your ABC claim is pretty odious without any evidence.

Give it up.

You're just wrong on this one.

I agree with your last paragraph but surely the answer is better health advice - to have confidence that what they are you telling you is reliable and worthy of a full state lockdown. He simply is not getting that and it's spooking him to the detriment of the public.

And who are the business voices in these meetings - are they getting a fair hearing?

You can't shut down a whole population on such short notice solely on 'health advice' where the advice by its definition will be conservative.

One outbreak - 6 million people locked down - the long term damage of this cannot be understated.

The evidence suggests that the lockdown actually made no contribution to containing this outbreak given every single case linked to the cluster was either a hotel quarantine employee or a household or known close contact. It was entirely contained within the contact tracing bubble. There was obviously something that happened that meant they had no confidence that was actually the case.

The leaders should note shopping around for advice to support a predetermined decision, but by the same token, there is nothing wrong with having a variety of views at the table and weighing them up before making a decision. The politicians need to own the decision-making process which is actually something Gladys has been clear on.

Look I somewhat agree about this latest lockdown, and if nothing changes and snap stage 4 lockdowns continue to happen this way then I would be inclined to fully agree.

That being said though I think part of the decision making around this lockdown would've come down to the fact it was Valentines day weekend, and if there was ever a day tailor made for spreading infectious diseases then Valentines day would be it.

It's quite easy to imagine a scenario where somebody who has had contact with one of the infected people at the airport cafe either directly or indirectly then attends some sort of singles event in the city who then spread it around to multiple people there, who then spread it to friends/family etc. and then spiralling quickly out of control from there.

But I agree going forward there needs to be a better way to deal with any potential outbreaks that's more of a happy medium between safe and effective, and also common sense.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Look I somewhat agree about this latest lockdown, and if nothing changes and snap stage 4 lockdowns continue to happen this way then I would be inclined to fully agree.

That being said though I think part of the decision making around this lockdown would've come down to the fact it was Valentines day weekend, and if there was ever a day tailor made for spreading infectious diseases then Valentines day would be it.

It's quite easy to imagine a scenario where somebody who has had contact with one of the infected people at the airport cafe either directly or indirectly then attends some sort of singles event in the city who then spread it around to multiple people there, who then spread it to friends/family etc. and then spiralling quickly out of control from there.

But I agree going forward there needs to be a better way to deal with any potential outbreaks that's more of a happy medium between safe and effective, and also common sense.

As I said earlier in the thread I completely understand the lockdown but am not happy about how we got there.

I suspect the airport worker and the airport being a tier 1 exposure site with an estimated 3,500 contacts was the straw that broke the proverbial camel's back.

It had the potential to get ugly, fast. Especially if the gov were a bit dubious on the road testing of our contact tracing improvements, or whether this strain actually spreads faster.

There's also a huge compliance factor as well which I see so few people speaking about. Harsh lockdowns are an absolute, positive signal that we need to limit movement. Wishy washy rules, or any sign that it's not being taken that seriously by government, and all of a sudden you risk people who should be self isolating due to potential contact going "nahhhh, stuff it. I won't get tested and I won't report that I was at the site. Going to go kiss me Nanna on the lips, and the gov aren't taking it that seriously."

But I'm not happy about what appear to be mistakes made in quarantine.

Yep, agree. Personally given how long in lockdown last year I think keeping this to a short, sharp 5 day event was crucial to ongoing compliance. It's worth noting that IMHO this is the sharpest lockdown we've had to date. Although we had months at a time last year the majority of construction work and trade work was ongoing the whole time - which was not the case this time.

Odds are we'll need more lockdowns before the year is done, I can't speak for everyone else but I think a 2-3 business day shutdown - while inconvenient - will be more palatable on a semi regular basis than waiting until large scale ongoing lockdowns are necessary. In the past I've felt they've been too hesitant to commence lockdowns and this has ultimately dragged out the durations. I don't think that length of lockdown we experienced last year is sustainable regularly. A week every few months - at the moment I'll take that.

Morrison has some significant media support from everyone's least liked ex Australian and it makes a massive difference. I don't think he's better at anything except lying with straight face. No politician - including Andrews - is immune to that accusation. Morrison like Andrews has a massive team of social media and PR people running interference constantly to create the "image" they want to project. The major difference is that Dan isn't getting a free ride in the mainstream media - at least when it comes to COVID.

Does the Australian and Herald Sun come under the banner of mainstream media? If they do, I’m not sure your last sentence holds water. If they don’t, then the word “mainstream” needs redefinition in all dictionaries.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Really? I don't like Andrews much but he is the best purely political operator we have seen in politics, state, or Federal for a long time. Underestimate his mastery of political skills and the dark arts of media manipulation and spin at your peril.

Unfortunately the liberal party at state level has not offered him any resistance. That's bad for Labor too because he can operate with impunity. How strong can you be if there's no opposition?

Unfortunately the liberal party at state level has not offered him any resistance. That's bad for Labor too because he can operate with impunity. How strong can you be if there's no opposition?

One of the problems we have with politics in Australia is lack of participation. Very few people actually sign up to be members, which enables motivated dickheads to come in and take control and do a lot of damage. Unfortunately, this seems to have happened to the Libs in Victoria with reactionary religious conservatives, like Marcus Bastian and Karina Okotel, building powerful factions that dominate pre-selections and other key outcomes. Fortunately, there seems to have been some recognition that these players have been causing serious damage to the party in the state, which as you point out is not good for the state as a whole.

And he is just as ruthless with internal opposition in the ALP. Just ask Jane Garrett.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back