List Mgmt. 2021 Draft picks: 4/33/75

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
It would be worth looking at. Especially if you are top end possible and an SANFL team is willing to play you in the league side.
Getting Jason Horne or any other top SA prospect just got harder with the head start the SA/WA boys will have over their Victorian counterparts. SA/WA boys are going to have a big, big advantage when it comes to exposure to the AFL Recruiters/Scouts and therefore competition for them come the draft will be stronger than in the past. You only had to look at last year's "Covid" draft where more SA boys went earlier than they would have normally.

And this from Fox Footy..

Last edited:
Getting Jason Horne or any other top SA prospect just got harder with the head start the SA/WA boys will have over their Victorian counterparts. SA/WA boys are going to have a big, big advantage when it comes to exposure to the AFL Recruiters/Scouts and therefore competition for them come the draft will be stronger than in the past. You only had to look at last year's "Covid" draft where more SA boys went earlier than they would have normally.

On the bolded point - how much of that is just us? We heavily (and out of character as well) prioritised SA players with one of them not even directly benefitting from the longer COVID lockdown in Victoria. SA players certainly weren't prioritised at other clubs early on in the draft, with only two being taken in the top 30. You do see a serious increase in the last 30 picks though with the real victim being the mature agers who signed up for the VFL in 2020.

Let's not forget having a whole league shut down is as much of a blessing to some prospects as it is a disaster to others. After all for as many kids that bounce up the draft boards with a really good year there are just as many that look good but don't come on. I am sure there are prospects who missed out in SA secretly wishing we were locked down for months.

Mind you, it's probably not harder for us to get at least one SA prospect, but that's because we've bottomed out and are going to get younger as the year goes on. Not exactly a profile that indicates anything other then a year we finish 16-18. And yeah, 2021 is when you'll see the COVID impact with Vics high end talent if they lock down for months. The U17s saved a lot of them in 2020, it can't in 2021.

Last edited:

I think that will be evened out a bit by the fact of the U18s changing to U19s this year.
All those Vic kids that missed out are going to get another shot.

We are bottom for one reason:

we have not hit a draft home run in the past decade. Not even those we’ve lost to other teams

it’s not like we haven’t had the picks. We have

so should we even be trusting these upcoming picks to the same recruiting team?

not one home run in the near decade (2012 onwards) that Haggis has been in charge.

not one, when a team needs multiple big hits to rise or stay up there

we have not hit a draft home run in the past decade. Not even those we’ve lost to other teams

not one home run in the near decade (2012 onwards) that Haggis has been in charge.

I agree with your basic point - our recruiting has been pretty bad for years, and that is huge part of why we are where we are. I wouldn’t discount players being demoralized by inept staff being a factor as well.

If by home run you mean Martin/dangerfield/bont level players then yep - no home runs. But if you mean AA level players then I think Matt Crouch, Cameron and Lever count. Maybe Doedee but I’d say he’s only borderline. But even if you count them, it’s nowhere near enough to build and sustain a competitive team. You really need at least one player on the Crouch/Cameron/Lever level every year, not every three years. And you really need a Martin/Dangerfield/Bont level player every now and then too.

I agree with your basic point - our recruiting has been pretty bad for years, and that is huge part of why we are where we are. I wouldn’t discount players being demoralized by inept staff being a factor as well.

If by home run you mean Martin/dangerfield/bont level players then yep - no home runs. But if you mean AA level players then I think Matt Crouch, Cameron and Lever count. Maybe Doedee but I’d say he’s only borderline. But even if you count them, it’s nowhere near enough to build and sustain a competitive team. You really need at least one player on the Crouch/Cameron/Lever level every year, not every three years. And you really need a Martin/Dangerfield/Bont level player every now and then too.
The Martin, Bontompelli's etc i.e. elite midfield prospects aren't available too often at the picks we've generally taken to the draft.

Even the year we had the pick to quite possibly take one of Rowell or Anderson with Melbourne always taking Luke Jackson the AFL slipped in and screwed us over with their GCS priority pick. In my view Anderson in the long run will be the more damaging mid than Rowell.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The Martin, Bontompelli's etc i.e. elite midfield prospects aren't available too often at the picks we've generally taken to the draft.

Even the year we had the pick to quite possibly take one of Rowell or Anderson with Melbourne always taking Luke Jackson the AFL slipped in and screwed us over with their GCS priority pick. In my view Anderson in the long run will be the more damaging mid than Rowell.
Absolutely re us being shafted. It would have been interesting though had the AFL not gifted GC that priority pick and Melbourne had pick 2 - would they have gone Jackson or Anderson when push came to shove..we will never know

Absolutely re us being shafted. It would have been interesting though had the AFL not gifted GC that priority pick and Melbourne had pick 2 - would they have gone Jackson or Anderson when push came to shove..we will never know
The strong word from a long way out was the Dees were taking Jackson and that was backed up strongly when they traded out Brayden Pruess in the trade period prior to the draft.

What do we need to do to get a Priority Pick? Surely another spoon puts us in the mixer.
We could finish bottom the next 10 years and it won't happen. The VFL will change the rules and abolish it completely it we even get close to qualifying.
Only to re-instate it a year or two later to assist North Melbourne

So if this year we end up bottom again what do you think the chances of us getting a priority pick?

We are bottom for so many reasons. This is Marty level analysis.

You're probably right, I wonder if we'd ask the question.
Funny thing is you'd think with the supporter base we have and the money that brings into the system, or more to the point that we don't drain the system like some clubs, that the AFL would look after us. Yet we seem to be treated almost with disdain at times. If this was the NBA, EPL or any other professional league in the world we'd be in that bracket of favored franchises that others get annoyed with. I guess it shows how the AFL is still really stuck in the VFL.

I don’t mean players who once or twice might be fringe AA players in low value positions.

that crouch, Cameron & lever are the high spots is exactly my point. Who cares? Nice players at best, and I’m not a big crouch or lever fan.

Cameron is a win and an indictment when he’s probably the biggest hit we’ve had.

where are the game changers, the difference makers or structural rocks?

there are none. Since Danger, Sloane, Tippett (I know), Talia & Tex? Phil Davis too.

those Rendell picks have kept us solvent all these years, but there has been no equivalent quality coming up to replace them.

and finally the music stopped

is that really true?

Cripps, Neale, Mitchell, Fyfe etc
Why didn't Matty pick Neale and Fyfe?, they were both there in his tenure at the AFC? Mitchell was prior to Matty's tenure and Cripps was during our Tippett sanction period.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back