Strategy Trade and List management Thread Part 4 (opposition supporters - READ posting rules before posting)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Virgin Dog

Cancelled
Oct 29, 2017
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Can somebody please clarify if we will add any more players to our list before the season starts.

As I understand it, we have 2 list spots open and three players currently training with us.
I think it's just the one list spot (Lloyd). McLean could be placed on the Long Term Injury list to open another spot if needed.

Wouldn't mind seeing us hold a spare spot. Guys like Nick Coffield, Bont, Clayton Oliver wouldn't have gone anywhere near Top 10 if they didn't play their draft year (maybe not even drafted) so there could be massive draft bargains mid year. I'd be looking for the next Tim Kelly / Liam Ryan opportunity

Nov 29, 2018
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Memphis Grizzlies
I’m not sure what it means for the extra list spot though? Can we take McLean off the LTI when he’s ready if we’ve used his spot on someone else?

I wasn't sure myself, so I had a quick read through the rules. After the 8 weeks we can put McLean back on the primary list, but what happens to that extra player isn't as clear to me

Where a Player is transferred from a Club’s Long Term Injury List to its Primary List, the Club may request the General Counsel to:
(i) transfer the Player transferred from the Club’s Rookie List under Rule 26.1(b) back to the Club’s Rookie List unless that Player is included on the Club’s Primary List at the time it is lodged with the AFL under Rules 6.1 or 7.2; or
(ii) transfer from the Club’s Primary List to the Club’s Rookie List another Player who is eligible to be included on the Club’s Rookie List at the time of transfer.

I'm pretty sure this is from when rookies had to be promoted to play AFL matches, so it would've changed by then. So not entirely sure, but I'm willing to bet the player that we pick up for McLean's list spot couldn't play once McLean is back, maybe they're move to the cat B rookie list or something.

Triple Baileys

Club Legend
Jan 7, 2019
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
At the risk of covering old news, did anyone read the WB website on the Bont playing more time as a forward?

Why not play him full time as a forward and only bring him into the square in an emergency (e.g. WB 1 point behind, centre bounce, 1 minute to go)?

Pros:
1) Eases pressures on midfield log jam. Midfield log jam could potentially cost us one or two star mids (e.g., Bailey Smith or Dunkley)
2) May preserve the Bont to get extra good seasons out of him post when he turns 30.
3) Bont is good overhead and is as big and burly as a KPF and we all know about his ground game and his footy IQ. Vastly superior option at CHF or FF than Bruce or Schache, so solves that problem. Bruce can be retooled as a 2nd ruck / resting forward and Schache can vie with Bailey Dale et al for a HFF spot, he is an HFF option with his long leading game where he makes his height an advantage, his accurate long kicking, his good handling skills and AFL level vision.

Cons:
No Bont in the midfield.

You weigh it up.

At the risk of covering old news, did anyone read the WB website on the Bont playing more time as a forward?

Why not play him full time as a forward and only bring him into the square in an emergency (e.g. WB 1 point behind, centre bounce, 1 minute to go)?

Pros:
1) Eases pressures on midfield log jam. Midfield log jam could potentially cost us one or two star mids (e.g., Bailey Smith or Dunkley)
2) May preserve the Bont to get extra good seasons out of him post when he turns 30.
3) Bont is good overhead and is as big and burly as a KPF and we all know about his ground game and his footy IQ. Vastly superior option at CHF or FF than Bruce or Schache, so solves that problem. Bruce can be retooled as a 2nd ruck / resting forward and Schache can vie with Bailey Dale et al for a HFF spot, he is an HFF option with his long leading game where he makes his height an advantage, his accurate long kicking, his good handling skills and AFL level vision.

Cons:
No Bont in the midfield.

You weigh it up.

I don’t have the stats in front of me but I feel like Bont has usully been one of our worst in terms of conversation in front of goal particularly on a set shot (even though hes nailed some big moments like 2015 vs Adelaide and 2020 vs eagles). Although most are pretty bad at that at out club.

Mar 10, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Charlton Athletic, Roys FFC

Pros:

Cons:
No Bont in the midfield.

You weigh it up.

It's an interesting question, because who/where do these guys all play ?

Bruce, Naughton, Wallis, Weightman, Jamarra, Bont, Schache, Hannan, West, Cavarra, Dale, English.

You can argue - Naughton should play back in this case.

And you could argue - Schache won't make it, West isn't ready yet, Dale isn't up to it.

You still then have: Bruce, Bont, Jamarra, English (resting forward) - as KPP types. Wallis should be a lock as a mid-forward, Hannan/Cavarra/Weightman - then fighting for the last spot. I think it's one tall too many, would prefer three - and I'm not sure we want any of Bont/Jamarra/English - playing CHF all season.

So you have:

HF: Cavarra Bruce Wallis
FF: English (resting) Bont Jamarra (sometimes)

I'd prefer more pace in there if I'm honest - but I do agree with what you have said.

BeMoreBont

Team Captain
Oct 14, 2017
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs

Pros:

Cons:
No Bont in the midfield.

You weigh it up.

Another significant con to add - we lose our best (by some margin) kick going inside 50. Which is arguably already our greatest weakness.

Sep 22, 2008
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
It's an interesting question, because who/where do these guys all play ?

Bruce, Naughton, Wallis, Weightman, Jamarra, Bont, Schache, Hannan, West, Cavarra, Dale, English.

You can argue - Naughton should play back in this case.

And you could argue - Schache won't make it, West isn't ready yet, Dale isn't up to it.

You still then have: Bruce, Bont, Jamarra, English (resting forward) - as KPP types. Wallis should be a lock as a mid-forward, Hannan/Cavarra/Weightman - then fighting for the last spot. I think it's one tall too many, would prefer three - and I'm not sure we want any of Bont/Jamarra/English - playing CHF all season.

So you have:

HF: Cavarra Bruce Wallis
FF: English (resting) Bont Jamarra (sometimes)

I'd prefer more pace in there if I'm honest - but I do agree with what you have said.
Out of all the options we’ve got who can play forward, you’ve found arguably the worst forward line in the league 😂

Mar 10, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Charlton Athletic, Roys FFC
Out of all the options we’ve got who can play forward, you’ve found arguably the worst forward line in the league 😂

Just wait til we line up that way in Rd 1 !! :p

PS. There are a few clubs worse, but not many....

Golden_6

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 15, 2014
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Chicago Bulls
I wouldn't want Bont spending anymore time forward than Dusty or Danger. He's a very handy forward but he's certainly not elite. Despite having a plethora of gun mids, the reality is that Bont is still our best midfielder and that taking him out for large stretches would somewhat hurt our team.

He was probably at an 80/20 split last year. I'd be comfortable moving that to around 60/40 and that's as far as I would go.

I wouldn't want Bont spending anymore time forward than Dusty or Danger. He's a very handy forward but he's certainly not elite. Despite having a plethora of gun mids, the reality is that Bont is still our best midfielder and that taking him out for large stretches would somewhat hurt our team.

He was probably at an 80/20 split last year. I'd be comfortable moving that to around 60/40 and that's as far as I would go.
Which elite forwards are you concerned about him pushing out?

j/k fair point :p

I think I read some stats about Dusty playing more forward than mid these days.
Don't think Danger is far behind either.

Dale4captain

Premiership Player
Sep 14, 2010
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Chicago Bulls
The very good Carlton poster with intel has said we were very interred in Balta but no chance he leaves. At least we’re looking at that type.
have it on good authority we had Nik Cox on speed dial if the Dunks trade was to go through. We're def looking at that type

Bulldogs85

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 25, 2016
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
NBA- Houston Rockets
Some kind of trading out/trading back in shenanigans, I assume. Nik Cox is a big Dogs fan, would have loved to get him.

We also bid on Cody Brand who's a pure lockdown key defender.
I was hoping when we placed a bid on Cody Brand Essendon wouldn’t match they want tall in last year’s draft

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back