Remove this Banner Ad

Sep 13, 2015
Hillary Step
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
76ers
Thanks.

So up to 2017 Tigers were playing and losing to Geelong in Geelong. And then the Tigers started winning these Geelong 'home game's when played at the MCG.

What a fortunate change in fixturing.

Almost as if Geelong are more familiar and confident playing in Geelong v Richmond. Massive benefit to the opposition giving up home ground advantage to play where the Tigers are very comfortable v playing somewhere they rarely win.

Tough away game that Geelong trip.

Some teams just get a leg up from AFL fixturing and avoid playing in Geelong. Lucky Tigers. Just like being gifted an early kill against Carlton when they were rebuilding.
We were also playing and losing to Geelong in Melbourne. In general when we played Geelong it didn’t matter where we played them, we lost. But then we beat them and it was all the venue :think:

We were also playing and losing to Geelong in Melbourne. In general when we played Geelong it didn’t matter where we played them, we lost. But then we beat them and it was all the venue :think:
Also when Richmond is forced to play home games away from home it's not the venue at all, it only travel :think:
Hence why Obeanie1 refuses to answer my question. To maintain the victim narrative and to persist with the position that West Coast is entitled to success it hasn't earned, many contradictory arguments have been made.
Fact is West Coast gets advantages over Victorian teams. Never mores than on 2020, yet they couldn't even make the to 4 or win a final. I don't think they'll trouble the top 4 in 2021. However their home ground advantage should see them make 7th or 8th.

Aug 14, 2011
Trafalgar
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Mclaren Mercedes F1
Also when Richmond is forced to play home games away from home it's not the venue at all, it only travel :think:
Hence why Obeanie1 refuses to answer my question. To maintain the victim narrative and to persist with the position that West Coast is entitled to success it hasn't earned, many contradictory arguments have been made.
Fact is West Coast gets advantages over Victorian teams. Never mores than on 2020, yet they couldn't even make the to 4 or win a final. I don't think they'll trouble the top 4 in 2021. However their home ground advantage should see them make 7th or 8th.

what is this question you are rabbiting on about?

As for home ground/travel, seriously the Tigers gave up its home ground near on 60 years ago ..... it was a State League issue home ground.
Travel is an issue in the national comp & I can understand why you might seek to deny it, as the AFLPA does.
The FIXture is also a national comp issue that wasnt a problem back in the State League days.

Then again this is an Eagles 2021 thread .....

Jul 26, 2007
Darwin
AFL Club
West Coast

You need to come up with something more substantial than that tripe.

Remind me again what question has not been answered?

Victim narrative and entitlement to success? WTF are you on?

The narrative is about equalisation for all teams. Not just West Coast. It means that pampered teams such as Richmond over the past 4 years stop getting hand outs to the detriment of other sides.

It means Richmond goes and plays Geelong in Geelong, the most difficult away game in the league by far.

It means Richmond do not get a nice soft fixture leading into finals travelling once in two months while other contenders travel multiple times.

Not hard to comprehend if you open both eyes.

Richmond get forced to play home games away from home? What in 2020 when everyone was forced to do that? Now that is just a dumb argument in itself.

Please explain all these advantages West Coast get over Vic teams. The only one I can think of is they don't share home ground advantage with multiple clubs, thats it. The AFL simply can't change that where as they can address a number of 'benefits' they gift the Tigers in fixturing. Something they actually finally did with the 2021 draw should it remain as published but not as far as they can. (Still no trip to Geelong or Tassie)

Now trot off and do some more homework because the above you submitted is a F-.

Ignored me, good luck !
Busy and will be for a bit
But I was basically asking Obe1 how much disadvantage is not playing a home game at your home ground but not travelling interstate. Ie Geelong playing a home game at the MCG against an MCG tenant.
Is it significant?
Obe1 obviously feels it is.
I tend to agree to a certain extent, but Geelong does play a significant number of games at the G so it wouldn’t be as big a disadvantage as, say, Richmond playing a home game at Marvel against a Marvel tenant.

My point about West Coast with regards to travel and home ground advantage has always been that it’s swings and roundabouts with West Coast gaining a net advantage.

DanWA

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 13, 2013
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
East Fremantle Sharks
But I was basically asking Obe1 how much disadvantage is not playing a home game at your home ground but not travelling interstate. Ie Geelong playing a home game at the MCG against an MCG tenant.
Is it significant?
I tend to agree to a certain extent, but Geelong does play a significant number of games at the G so it wouldn’t be as big a disadvantage as, say, Richmond playing a home game at Marvel against a Marvel tenant.

My point about West Coast with regards to travel and home ground advantage has always been that it’s swings and roundabouts with West Coast gaining a net advantage.
What are you actually getting at?

Richmond plays record amounts at the same venue leading into a finals series

Aug 14, 2011
Trafalgar
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Mclaren Mercedes F1
Is it significant?

The swings & roundabouts of travel leave, say the Eagles, behind on things like time in the air, nights away, & recovery. 10 on the road & 10 v travelling teams can be argued as 'much of a muchness' but that ignores jumping on a plane & flying cross country most fortnights.
Comparing Geelong with the other non Melbourne clubs borders on disingenuous.

Trying to convince me a game in Perth is an 'away' game for a WA side beggars belief in a national comp.

The concept of home ground advantage is about as relevant as a miles per hour speedometer.

Last edited:
The swings & roundabouts of travel leave, say the Eagles, behind on things like time in the air, nights away, & recovery. 10 on the road & 10 v travelling teams can be argued as 'much of a muchness' but that ignores jumping on a plane & flying cross country most fortnights.
Comparing Geelong with the other non Melbourne clubs borders on disingenuous.

Trying to convince me a game in Perth is an 'away' game for a WA side beggars belief in a national comp.

The concept of home ground advantage is about as relevant as a miles per hour speedometer.
So you disagree with Obeanie1 about Geelong?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Aug 14, 2011
Trafalgar
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Mclaren Mercedes F1
So you disagree with Obeanie1 about Geelong?

Havent read his post, my position isnt widely held. Regularly dont agree with Eagles fan, happens when you reach your own conclusions.
As I said comparing Geelong to the WA clubs borders on disingenuous in that its simply moving the old State league concept of home & away around a white board.

Applying the 1960s* form of home & away to Vic clubs might work for them, but its a national comp. Get on board.
* when the Tiges kept their home at Punt Rd & played home games across the park at the G.

Havent read his post, my position isnt widely held. Regularly dont agree with Eagles fan, happens when you reach your own conclusions.
As I said comparing Geelong to the WA clubs borders on disingenuous in that its simply moving the old State league concept of home & away around a white board.

Applying the 1960s* form of home & away to Vic clubs might work for them, but its a national comp. Get on board.
* when the Tiges kept their home at Punt Rd & played home games across the park at the G.
I didn’t think Obeanie1 was being disingenuous.

Aug 14, 2011
Trafalgar
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Mclaren Mercedes F1
I didn’t think Obeanie1 was being disingenuous.

Trying to compare the FIXture under State League concepts is difficult when stuck in the outdated home & away concept.

When home regularly refers to membership rights NOT the venue.....
and away is when memberships dont apply for some clubs but not others when playing in Melbourne .... NOT of the venue.

Then home games for Melbourne clubs are played away from Melbourne & members get a make up game at another clubs home game. Again this only applies to some and .... NOT the venue.
Geelong doesnt fit the variable Melbourne model.

Its a FIXture with little attempt at fairness.
The WA clubs are beneficiaries of that FIXture, not having to travel in consecutive weeks.
One size does not fit all in a national comp.

Continuing to use home & away as gospel serves to entrench a long gone concept from the State League era.

Last edited:
Jan 19, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
Yeah I bumped this bloody thread.

I bumped it, but It wasnt because I wanted to see another West coast vs Richmond Poo fight on this thread. Go look at my posts on this thread so far. I have been Neutral and civilized on this thread. None of the posts I have put up have been descriminating or anti religion or racist or Homophobic. If they have been, you have the right to report me.

I doubt have posted any troll posts on this thread either.

This is about West coasts upcoming 2021 season.

Tony Abbot tough man post.

On topic, have a feeling they will slide a bit this year.

WCE_phil

Brownlow Medallist
Nov 14, 2009
perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Our 3 most important mids are injured and have had limited to no preseason and we will likely line up round one without Yeo and on the back of a very limited preseason with a very tough start to the year.

If we go 2-5 or 3-4 in our first 7 which with the above is quite likely we could well miss finals and certainly won't be challenging.

If we do however pull out a surprising strong start to the season then west coast could be hard to stop.

I also feel that the man on the mark rule will greatly benefit the contested ball and running sides and greatly hurt structurally turnover sides like us greatly. Add it all together and 9-12th I would see as the mark.

Fully fit with the best 22 on the park we are a top 2 side, however the club greatly lacks flanker and midfield depth so I don't see us doing that well.

Coaster2012

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 10, 2012
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Manchester City, Lakers
West Coast right now remind me of Carlton after 1995 and Essendon after 2000

Cheers mate, Essendon finished on top of the table in 2001. Glad you rate us so highly.

I personally don't think we will finish 1st, as you suggest. But I'm hoping for a top 4, we defintely got the cattle.

Aug 14, 2011
Trafalgar
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Mclaren Mercedes F1
Our 3 most important mids are injured and have had limited to no preseason and we will likely line up round one without Yeo and on the back of a very limited preseason with a very tough start to the year.

If we go 2-5 or 3-4 in our first 7 which with the above is quite likely we could well miss finals and certainly won't be challenging.

If we do however pull out a surprising strong start to the season then west coast could be hard to stop.

I also feel that the man on the mark rule will greatly benefit the contested ball and running sides and greatly hurt structurally turnover sides like us greatly. Add it all together and 9-12th I would see as the mark.

Fully fit with the best 22 on the park we are a top 2 side, however the club greatly lacks flanker and midfield depth so I don't see us doing that well.

We certainly dont have the depth, but debuting 8 guys in 2018 was always a signal that Simmo needed more cattle & that has proven correct. That Ryan & Allen have cut the mustard is the good news, losing Willie & Dan Venables is the bad news & the other kids are yet to earn a regular spot.

The game plan needs to change & this year will be the first in a while where Simmo can plan around having NicNat.

Coaster2012

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 10, 2012
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Manchester City, Lakers
What I can't understand is eagles obsession like they should have won multiple premierships , never look at the real facts.

Blew double chances 2 years in row.
Lost 2 home finals against middle road sides at home.
Couldn't deal with the covid situation in Qld.

Eagles fans and alot of other fans suggest that with their list they should have done better. No one has denied those events didn't happen. Not sure what point your making?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back