Teams 2021 St.Kilda Best 22 (assuming all players are fit)

Remove this Banner Ad

I reckon round 1 there might be a few surprises and it might look something like this:

b: Paton Howard long
Hb: coffield Wilkie Clark
C: Ross Jones hill
Hf: billings membery butler
F: Marshall king Higgins
Foll: Ryder Steele Gresham
Int: highmore battle Sinclair lonie

Emer: Carlisle dunstan bytel Kent

unavailable: crouch Geary Hannebery (just a hunch)

reckon if giants arent too tall up forward Carlisle will miss and we will play highmore as another medium sized interceptor. Have a all to familiar feeling Hannebery won’t get up and obviously crouch is suspended. Think Sinclair will get the nod ahead of dunstan/bytel and lonie will beat Kent for the last small forward spot.

Get talking

I believe we are keeping a close eye on the JK situation up in Western Sydney.

As is well publicised, he has a player option on his deal to extend his contract for 8 seasons, or he can become a RFA at the end of the season.

At this stage, he is sitting on the fence. Similar to Merrett situation at Essendon, he wants to see how the year plays out before making his FA decision.

However, have been told if he decides to come back home we are his numero uno.

I believe we are keeping a close eye on the JK situation up in Western Sydney.

As is well publicised, he has a player option on his deal to extend his contract for 8 seasons, or he can become a RFA at the end of the season.

At this stage, he is sitting on the fence. Similar to Merrett situation at Essendon, he wants to see how the year plays out before making his FA decision.

However, have been told if he decides to come back home we are his numero uno.

I wouldn't be surprised if Adelaide lost Laird or Brodie Smith, it's going to be a few s**t years for them.

I wouldn't be surprised if Adelaide lost Laird or Brodie Smith, it's going to be a few sh*t years for them.

It looks that way doesn't it?

They're both excellent players, Brodie Smith is 29 so no doubt would want to play out his twilight years somewhere where he's a shot of playing finals.

Laird is 27 too so by the time Adelaide are realistically contending again he'll probably be 32.

It looks that way doesn't it?

They're both excellent players, Brodie Smith is 29 so no doubt would want to play out his twilight years somewhere where he's a shot of playing finals.

Laird is 27 too so by the time Adelaide are realistically contending again he'll probably be 32.

Matty Crouch is up for free agency too.

Round 1 Team:
B. Highmore Howard Wilkie
H.B. Clark Battle Coffield
C. Hill Jones Wood
H.F. Butler Marshall Higgins
F. Gresham King Membrey
Foll. Ryder Steele Hannebery
Inter. Billings, Long, Paton, Ross

Best 22, 2021
C. Hill Crouch Wood
H.F. Butler Marshall Higgins
F. Gresham King Membrey
Foll. Ryder Steele Jones
Inter. Billings, Hannebery, Long, Paton

Future? Team:
C. Hill Crouch Josh Kelly
H.F. Butler Ben King Higgins
F. Gresham M.King Membrey
Foll. Marshall Steele Jones
Inter. Billings, Bytel, Long, Paton

Granted not a All-Fit 22, but considering there’s no Round 1 thread (or I’m blind)

B: Paton, Carlisle, Wilkie

HB: Long, Howard, Coffield

C: Hill, Clark, Ross

HF: Higgins, Membrey, Billings

F: Butler, King, Marshall

FOL: Ryder, Gresham, Steele

IC: Bytel, Sinclair, Battle, ???

Last spot is wide open, pending who’s firing and how they match up against GWS but if the reports are true, Highmore could be good fit across half back for a Clark move into the miss.

Round 1 on Projected Availability

FB:C.WilkieD.HowardT.Highmore
HB:N.CoffieldJ.CarlisleH.Clark
C:S.RossJ.SteeleB.Hill
HF:J.HigginsJ.BattleJ.Billings
FF:D.ButlerM.KingT.Membrey
R:P.RyderL.DunstanJ.Gresham
I/C:S.McKernanB.LongJ.Bytel
J.SinclairJ.Frawley (Emg.)D.Kent (Emg.)J.Lonie (Emg.)

Round 1 if All Available

FB:J.GearyD.HowardB.Paton
HB:C.WilkieJ.CarlsileN.Coffield
C:D.HanneberyJ.SteeleB.Hill
HF:J.HigginsR.MarshallJ.Billings
R:P.RyderB.CrouchJ.Gresham
I/C:J.BattleH.ClarkS.Ross
Z.JonesJ.Frawley (Emg.)J.Sinclair (Emg.)B.Long (Emg.)

The team I hope establishes itself as our best 22 throughout the year (assuming all fit)

FB:C.WilkieD.HowardB.Paton
HB:N.CoffieldJ.BattleB.Long
C:B.HillJ.SteeleS.Ross
HF:J.BillingsR.MarshallJ.Gresham
R:P.RyderB.CrouchH.Clark
I/C:T.HighmoreZ.JonesJ.Bytel
J.HigginsJ.Carlisle (Emg.)J.Sinclair (Emg.)J.Geary (Emg.)

Update: Removed Marshall from round 1 lineup :(
Update 2: Remove Ben Paton from round 1 lineup :'(

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This would be why we picked up mature depth, McKernan slots neatly into Marshall's spot in the side. The best teams over the past decade haven't just been because of their talent, they've had the depth and structure where if one player goes down, their role is filled by the next man up. Injuries happen, we're in a strong position to cover them thanks to our strength in depth.

A couple of questions surrounding the side - do we go with Bytel or Dunstan, Highmore or Webster (edit: or both with Paton out), Higgins or Lonie or Kent, Carlisle or Frawley? I'm glad that even after the injuries we've had, our 22 is still this strong with serviceable depth in all areas of the ground (except ruck).

I've also made the big call of putting Hannebery as a depth option - at his best I believe he's firmly in our best 22 but even the most optimistic of Saints fans know that he's unlikely to reach that ceiling consistently. If he can become our Clark Keating and rock up for the finals each year, I'd be happy with that.

Touch wood, but this is how we're currently looking for Round One (also shout-out to Armoooo for the best way of setting up the team).

FB:WebsterHowardWilkie
HB:CoffieldCarlisleLong
C:HillClarkBillings
HF:HigginsMcKernanGresham
FF:ButlerKingMembrey
R:RyderSteeleRoss
I/C:BattleSinclairBytel
HighmoreFrawley (Emg)Lonie (Emg)Dunstan (Emg)

Unavailable best 22: Marshall (McKernan), Jones (Sinclair), Crouch (Bytel), Geary (Highmore), Paton (Webster)
Unavailable depth: Byrnes, Hannebery (is he still best 22? Will he actually be available Round 1?)

Edit: Paton breaks his leg right after I post this...I feel slightly guilty.

Last edited:

[TD valign="top"]FB[/TD]
[TD valign="top"]Highmore[/TD]
[TD valign="top"]Carlisle/Frawley[/TD]
[TD valign="top"]Wilkie[/TD]

[TD valign="top"]HB[/TD]
[TD valign="top"]Coffield[/TD]
[TD valign="top"]Howard[/TD]
[TD valign="top"]Webster[/TD]

[TD valign="top"]C[/TD]
[TD valign="top"]Hill[/TD]
[TD valign="top"]Steele[/TD]
[TD valign="top"]Ross[/TD]

[TD valign="top"]HF[/TD]
[TD valign="top"]Higgins[/TD]
[TD valign="top"]Membrey[/TD]
[TD valign="top"]Billings[/TD]

[TD valign="top"]FF[/TD]
[TD valign="top"]Butler[/TD]
[TD valign="top"]King[/TD]
[TD valign="top"]McKernan[/TD]

[TD valign="top"]Foll[/TD]
[TD valign="top"]Ryder[/TD]
[TD valign="top"]Gresham[/TD]
[TD valign="top"]Jones[/TD]

[TD valign="top"]IC[/TD]
[TD valign="top"]Long[/TD]
[TD valign="top"]Sinclair[/TD]
[TD valign="top"]Clark[/TD]

[TD valign="top"][/TD]
[TD valign="top"]Battle[/TD]
[TD valign="top"][/TD]
[TD valign="top"][/TD]

Assuming Jones gets up for round one and Crouch, Marshall, Geary and Paton are unavailable, I'd line up something like this.

Webster/Wilkie can take the main small that Paton would normally take. Highmore seems to be close and given the injuries we have, I'd give him a shot. It's very important that Clark transitions into midfield I think so I'd be playing him in there for most of the game. It's still a pretty solid looking team, but we wouldn't want many more injuries.

[TD valign="top"]FB[/TD][TD valign="top"]Highmore[/TD][TD valign="top"]Carlisle/Frawley[/TD][TD valign="top"]Wilkie[/TD]

[TD valign="top"]HB[/TD][TD valign="top"]Coffield[/TD][TD valign="top"]Howard[/TD][TD valign="top"]Webster[/TD]

[TD valign="top"]C[/TD][TD valign="top"]Hill[/TD][TD valign="top"]Steele[/TD][TD valign="top"]Ross[/TD]

[TD valign="top"]HF[/TD][TD valign="top"]Higgins[/TD][TD valign="top"]Membrey[/TD][TD valign="top"]Billings[/TD]

[TD valign="top"]FF[/TD][TD valign="top"]Butler[/TD][TD valign="top"]King[/TD][TD valign="top"]McKernan[/TD]

[TD valign="top"]Foll[/TD][TD valign="top"]Ryder[/TD][TD valign="top"]Gresham[/TD][TD valign="top"]Jones[/TD]

[TD valign="top"]IC[/TD][TD valign="top"]Long[/TD][TD valign="top"]Sinclair[/TD][TD valign="top"]Clark[/TD]

[TD valign="top"][/TD]
[TD valign="top"]Battle[/TD][TD valign="top"][/TD]
[TD valign="top"][/TD]

Assuming Jones gets up for round one and Crouch, Marshall, Geary and Paton are unavailable, I'd line up something like this.

Webster/Wilkie can take the main small that Paton would normally take. Highmore seems to be close and given the injuries we have, I'd give him a shot. It's very important that Clark transitions into midfield I think so I'd be playing him in there for most of the game. It's still a pretty solid looking team, but we wouldn't want many more injuries.
Just for fun, how would you matchup our defenders to our forwards ?

Just for fun, how would you matchup our defenders to our forwards ?
From the team I did there, I’d probably go something like:
Howard-King
Carlisle-McKernan
Highmore-Membrey
Wilkie-Butler
Coffield-Billings
Webster-Higgins

Not great match ups for our small forwards. Our smalls like to roll up high which doesn’t really suit the intercepting of Coffield/Wilkie etc.

[TD valign="top"]FB[/TD][TD valign="top"]Highmore[/TD][TD valign="top"]Carlisle/Frawley[/TD][TD valign="top"]Wilkie[/TD]

[TD valign="top"]HB[/TD][TD valign="top"]Coffield[/TD][TD valign="top"]Howard[/TD][TD valign="top"]Webster[/TD]

[TD valign="top"]C[/TD][TD valign="top"]Hill[/TD][TD valign="top"]Steele[/TD][TD valign="top"]Ross[/TD]

[TD valign="top"]HF[/TD][TD valign="top"]Higgins[/TD][TD valign="top"]Membrey[/TD][TD valign="top"]Billings[/TD]

[TD valign="top"]FF[/TD][TD valign="top"]Butler[/TD][TD valign="top"]King[/TD][TD valign="top"]McKernan[/TD]

[TD valign="top"]Foll[/TD][TD valign="top"]Ryder[/TD][TD valign="top"]Gresham[/TD][TD valign="top"]Jones[/TD]

[TD valign="top"]IC[/TD][TD valign="top"]Long[/TD][TD valign="top"]Sinclair[/TD][TD valign="top"]Clark[/TD]

[TD valign="top"][/TD]
[TD valign="top"]Battle[/TD][TD valign="top"][/TD]
[TD valign="top"][/TD]

Typically our defenders play 85-90% of the game. That gives a maximum game time of 60% to a dedicated defender on the bench.
Without Crouch , i'd prefer another mid, Dunstan or Bytel,. Leaving only one of Long or Highmore. ( probably Long ).
Backline rotations can be covered by Sinclair, Long , and Ross, while still spending most of their time in the middle.

From the team I did there, I’d probably go something like:
Howard-King
Carlisle-McKernan
Highmore-Membrey
Wilkie-Butler
Coffield-Billings
Webster-Higgins

Not great match ups for our small forwards. Our smalls like to roll up high which doesn’t really suit the intercepting of Coffield/Wilkie etc.
Yes I think we are going to need a smaller, quicker defender to go with equivalent forwards. Long? McKenzie?

Ok going to try a new team assuming that Geary , Paton , Crouch , Marshall, Byrnes , and Jones are unavailable due to injury and suspension.

FB - Wilkie , Howard , Webster
HB - Coffield , Carlisle, Long
C- Hanners , Clark , Hill
HF - Billings , King , Butler
FF - Higgins , Membrey , McKernan
R- Ryder , Steele , Gresham
I/C - Ross ,Battle , Kent , Highmore

I just love the idea of having Ryder , Steele , Gresham and Clark at the centre bounce .
McKernan comes in to be second ruck and a marking target up forward so will probably get the third tall defender .

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app

Last edited:
My go;

Missing: Pato, Marshall, Hanners, (being realistic), Jones, Gears, Byrnes, Crouch

FB: Highmore, Cars, Wilks
HB: Coff, Dougs, Long
C: JB, Steele, Hill
HF: Allison, Members, Battle
FF: Buts, King, Higgins
Fol: Ryds, Clark, Gresh
Bch: JWeb, Sinclair, Ross, Lones
Emer: Frawley, Dustan, Bytel, Wood

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Have a new series going on our website in preparation of the 2021 season. Running through all the club's lists and best 22s and St Kilda has just dropped. Always feel like a supporters' judgement is one of the best going around so give us a follow, check it out and let us know your thoughts!

Have a new series going on our website in preparation of the 2021 season. Running through all the club's lists and best 22s and St Kilda has just dropped. Always feel like a supporters' judgement is one of the best going around so give us a follow, check it out and let us know your thoughts!

Followed, I assume Paton isn’t there cause of the leg?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back