News 2021 St.Kilda Media Thread

Oct 2, 2010
AFL Club
St Kilda
St Kilda doing its homework on how to get jump on opponents under new man on the mark rule
A new rule clamping down on the man on the mark could cost teams 50m penalties and goals. That's why the Saints are determined to be one step ahead.
Jay Clark

Newly re-signed St Kilda backman Callum Wilkie says players will have to fight their natural instincts on the mark to prevent conceding soft 50m penalties and easy goals early this season.
The Herald Sun can reveal Wilkie, who was this week elevated into the leadership group, has signed a two-year contract extension after his excellent start to his career at the Saints.

The 24-year-old said the Saints have prioritised their defence over summer after conceding the second-most points of the top-eight teams last season.

The new rule to prevent any movement from the man on the mark poses a huge challenge for players, who Wilkie said would naturally want to move laterally to close down angles for the opposition.

Wilkie, who has been a revelation playing 41 games in his first two seasons, said the Saints have been going to work on the new rule to try to limit any early-season infringements.

“It is tough because your natural instinct is (to move) to close down the inside 45 (degree kick),” Wilkie said.

“Or just move around when you are on the mark when someone is having a set shot because you are really just trying to put them off somehow.

“We are really trying to train to stand (still) there like they are saying, (because) they (umpires) are giving 50m away which is going to cost goals, so it is going to be hard.

“We have been trying to drill it in for the past month, and obviously trying to find ways around it.”

Umpires have been instructed to clamp down on any lateral movement from the players on the mark in a bid to encourage quicker and more free-flowing play from the team in possession.

St Kilda co-captain Jack Steele says the teams who make the adjustment quickly will stand to benefit in the new season.

“It is a bit difficult to start with, but we have all embraced it and the teams which adapt best to that are going to be best-placed, especially early in the season,” Steele said.

Wilkie, who was overlooked at four national drafts and worked as an accountant before he was rookie-listed by the Saints, said he was thrilled to receive the leadership nod from his peers.

“It is a huge honour to get the endorsement from my peers and all the staff in the football department,” he said.

“It is a really exciting group going forward hopefully over the next 10 years and I’m excited to be a part of it.

“I feel like I see the game well, I think that is one of my biggest strengths, and I may not be the quick or powerful athlete that a lot of other players are.

“But being able to see the game well and helping people get to the right spots I think has helped me come a long way.”

St Kilda list chief James Gallagher said Wilkie had thoroughly deserved a two-year contract extension.

“Since he’s come into the side, he’s become an integral part of our backline and that will no doubt continue moving forward,” Gallagher said.

“Last season we saw Cal really accelerate his leadership. Alongside fellow backman Dougal Howard, he has been enormous when it comes to setting the standards for the entire group.

“It’s testament to Cal’s work ethic and professionalism that he’s been able to achieve what he has from starting out as a mature-age rookie.”

Ha ha ha. Saw the headline and loved it. God he annoyed me last week. Must be a lot of teams in salary cap crisis.
All depends on the contracts signed, the lengths and how they weighted them. Collingwood were probably so proud of the Grundy contract but that was an anchor around their necks that was undoubtedly in play last year but will be for years to come. How many other clubs have players signed on big fat contracts? And who was short-sighted enough to back-end them?

May 29, 2013
AFL Club
St Kilda
Crappy news about RoMo :thumbsdown:

Re: the 50m / no movement on the mark rule it will definitely cost side/s games for even the slightest movement and 50m paid or it not being paid because the umpire misses it and doesnt pay 50m

Horrible rule which is only going to end in tears due to inconsisent rulings

Will be a talking point all year

To be honest, I don’t want the club to touch Tassie with a Winx-sized pole until the AFL have planned out their expansion into the state. Whilst our recent surge up the ladder will be protective, opening the door to potential relocation is never a nice thought.

To be honest, I don’t want the club to touch Tassie with a Winx-sized pole until the AFL have planned out their expansion into the state. Whilst our recent surge up the ladder will be protective, opening the door to potential relocation is never a nice thought.
Did we redevelop Moorabbin for nothing?

ScrappyDo

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 29, 2018
Omnipotent
AFL Club
St Kilda
Did we redevelop Moorabbin for nothing?
I bloody love going to Tassie once a year to play North. Best stadium in the AFL IMO.

If we must sell games to improve cash flow, then let it be to Tasmania.
Pig out on exceptional seafood. Hit up a brewery or WhiskySaint for free booze and accommodation for Sainters.

All fine by me. North and the Hawks have it stitched up, but to sell a home game there once a year instead of China or UnZed is just ace!

Couldn't agree more

I bloody love going to Tassie once a year to play North. Best stadium in the AFL IMO.

If we must sell games to improve cash flow, then let it be to Tasmania.
Pig out on exceptional seafood. Hit up a brewery or WhiskySaint for free booze and accommodation for Sainters.

All fine by me. North and the Hawks have it stitched up, but to sell a home game there once a year instead of China or UnZed is just ace!
It's pretty obvious we are building a foundation for the club to remain in Victoria for generations to come. The difference between us and North is North have no assets. We have a good supporter base down in Tassie and will earn plenty for playing games there. It's illogical to assume this is a early step in a relocation given what our club has invested in the last 24 months.

ScrappyDo

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 29, 2018
Omnipotent
AFL Club
St Kilda
It's pretty obvious we are building a foundation for the club to remain in Victoria for generations to come. The difference between us and North is North have no assets. We have a good supporter base down in Tassie and will earn plenty for playing games there. It's illogical to assume this is a early step in a relocation given what our club has invested in the last 24 months.
Exactly.
Absolutely nothing to do with relocation and everything to do with revenue.

Pretty sure north are debt free

Exactly.
Absolutely nothing to do with relocation and everything to do with revenue.
I remember the club saying a game in NZ was worth about 4 MCG games to us so it'll be interesting to see if anything comes out about revenue, I'm sure it's going to be a huge money maker.

Back