May 24, 2006
Car 55
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Redbacks, Sturt, Liverpool, Arizona
Just finished it. 5 seasons.

100% the GOAT.
I deliberately slowed up my watching towards the end because I didn't want it to end. Tried to savour those last few episodes. Only other tv show I've done that with is The Sopranos

revo333

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 7, 2018
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
3 episodes into season 4 and this is the most interested I've been in the show, I'm watching the episodes in full now without taking a break half way through.

3 episodes into season 4 and this is the most interested I've been in the show, I'm watching the episodes in full now without taking a break half way through.
giphy.gif

Shiiiiiiiieeeeetttt. first time watching I had to pull myself away from the screen at 5am with work/uni the next day after pounding ep after ep.

revo333

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 7, 2018
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
giphy.gif

Shiiiiiiiieeeeetttt. first time watching I had to pull myself away from the screen at 5am with work/uni the next day after pounding ep after ep.

I'm breaking the episodes in half to ty and stay focused on whats going on, I found I needed to do this in season 3 but so far season 4 has been easier to follow.

swingdog

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 3, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
West Coast

For me, Season 4 is the best. Not necessarily in terms of the cops vs gangs part but the breakdown of how the education systems fits into this makes it the richest of the seasons. Plus the rise of Marlo.

TassieSaint

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 5, 2007
Hobart
AFL Club
Tasmania
Other Teams
Tassie Tigers
For me, Season 4 is the best. Not necessarily in terms of the cops vs gangs part but the breakdown of how the education systems fits into this makes it the richest of the seasons. Plus the rise of Marlo.
I think it's not just the education system specifically, but the diverging paths of the 4 kids (who are four of the best characters in the show) due to a combination of various institutions, home environment etc. failing them. And then how that compares with other street storylines that season like Bodie and Poot, Bubbles and Sherrod etc.

That's what makes it the best season for me, it's the storyline of the kids that really underlies all the other storylines from all seasons and the theme of the show in general.

May 24, 2006
Car 55
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
I think it's not just the education system specifically, but the diverging paths of the 4 kids (who are four of the best characters in the show) due to a combination of various institutions, home environment etc. failing them. And then how that compares with other street storylines that season like Bodie and Poot, Bubbles and Sherrod etc.

That's what makes it the best season for me, it's the storyline of the kids that really underlies all the other storylines from all seasons and the theme of the show in general.
Yep there is an inevitability about where they end up.

"The game's rigged man"

I liked the observation that school is basically them learning to rebel against authority to prepare them for life, except with police replacing teachers

I deliberately slowed up my watching towards the end because I didn't want it to end. Tried to savour those last few episodes. Only other tv show I've done that with is The Sopranos
I watched it on Foxtel a number of years ago, it was an episode a day mon-thu, so four a week. In hindsight it was an excellent way to watch it, even if it didn't feel like it at the time. It made me think about the previous episode and also where the story would go.

May 24, 2006
Car 55
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
I watched it on Foxtel a number of years ago, it was an episode a day mon-thu, so four a week. In hindsight it was an excellent way to watch it, even if it didn't feel like it at the time. It made me think about the previous episode and also where the story would go.
I was similar. Watched probably 4-5 episodes a week. Would often 'cheat' by reading a recap/analysis of each episode, particularly early on. Helped me remember who was who and how they fit in.

I wonder if there is a difference in how shows that are released all at once are received compared with shows that air one episode per week?

When episodes are a week apart people have time to pick them to bits, come up with vivid projections of what is going to happen next, what they are hoping to see next episode, read other's opinions etc. Inevitably what then arrives doesn't match their expectations.

Whereas if you were plunging from one episode into the next with less outside noise...?

Apr 12, 2010
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
Yeah season four was a surprisingly good one, I didn't think focusing on kids would have been as good but it ended up amazing.

Marlo was one of the few characters I didn't really like. Just came across as not really convincing as being tough. Maybe it was a casting issue I dunno but I couldn't respect him like I did Barksdale, Bell, Omar, etc.

Last edited:
I was similar. Watched probably 4-5 episodes a week. Would often 'cheat' by reading a recap/analysis of each episode, particularly early on. Helped me remember who was who and how they fit in.

I wonder if there is a difference in how shows that are released all at once are received compared with shows that air one episode per week?

When episodes are a week apart people have time to pick them to bits, come up with vivid projections of what is going to happen next, what they are hoping to see next episode, read other's opinions etc. Inevitably what then arrives doesn't match their expectations.

Whereas if you were plunging from one episode into the next with less outside noise...?
I think from that experience compared with Breaking Bad (where I did tend to binge, I remember watching the last 8 eps over two days, which while very enjoyable meant that it was all gone in one weekend) is why I now tend to not watch more than one episode of anything a night now, instead I'll watch a different show. Although the latest season of The Expanse is testing that resolve to the limit

swingdog

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 3, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
West Coast
I think from that experience compared with Breaking Bad (where I did tend to binge, I remember watching the last 8 eps over two days, which while very enjoyable meant that it was all gone in one weekend) is why I now tend to not watch more than one episode of anything a night now, instead I'll watch a different show. Although the latest season of The Expanse is testing that resolve to the limit

Is that good? Have it lined up.

Does The Expanse get that good? 3/4 through season 1 and it's pretty average... I had high hopes.

Unless you really struggle to get through the episodes I'd keep going if I were you, but if it ain't your cup of tea then fair enough I guess.

Is that good? Have it lined up.

It might take a bit of effort to start with but I think it's well worth it.

Edit: I just went and had a look at Rotten Tomatoes and the ratings for each season on there goes : 1) 77%, 2) 95%, 3)100%, 4)100%, 5)100%.

So yeah, I guess it does pick up after the first season after all.

Last edited:

WireHawk

Team Captain
Aug 16, 2009
The Black Lodge
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Yeah season four was a surprisingly good one, I didn't think focusing on kids would have been as good but it ended up amazing.

Marlo was one of the few characters I didn't really like. Just came across as not really convincing as being tough. Maybe it was a casting issue I dunno but I couldn't respect him like I did Barksdale, Bell, Omar, etc.
The guy who played Marlo, Jaime Hector, is a fine actor. He is a lot more
animated in other roles. He played Marlo perfectly in my opinion. Marlo was
a sociopath and wasn't given to outward displays of emotion. He killed without
feeling.

Barksdale, Bell and Omar were great characters but Marlo had to be different
from them. Jaime Hector's performance was subtle in it's menace.

May 24, 2006
Car 55
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
The guy who played Marlo, Jaime Hector, is a fine actor. He is a lot more
animated in other roles. He played Marlo perfectly in my opinion. Marlo was
a sociopath and wasn't given to outward displays of emotion. He killed without
feeling.

Barksdale, Bell and Omar were great characters but Marlo had to be different
from them. Jaime Hector's performance was subtle in it's menace.
It was strange initially having the villain as such a blank character following on from such charismatic ones. However it made more sense as things went on. The 'new breed' were cold, unfeeling. Didn't play by the rules of the game. "Ain't easy civilising this motherf***er"

Feb 21, 2006
Muckertal
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Turtles, NYJets, Celtics, Tottenham
People often find the second season a struggle on first watch through, just because it changes so much from season 1. However on re-watching, it becomes so many people's favourite season. Happened to me. It's so integral to the whole story arc.

Was about to post exactly this, I appreciated the 2nd season so much more on 2nd watch through

Feb 21, 2006
Muckertal
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
I have prob

I have probably re watched the series 3/4 times and every time I pick up something new that I didn't previously. That's why it's such a great series. That and it's hard to understand the accent at times haha.

When I did my rewatch I watched with subtitles picked up so much I missed the first time through

Feb 21, 2006
Muckertal
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Just finished it. 5 seasons.

100% the GOAT.

I still can't split this and Sopranos. I had The Wire ahead slightly after the first time I saw it after rewatching both last year I had Sopranos slightly ahead but it's semantics. Both at the top of the heap as far as I'm concerned.

revo333

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 7, 2018
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs

Just finished season 4 and it's my favourite season, although the last episode was a little anti climatic but maybe it gets better once I finish the season. To add with season 4 I think they might of gone a bit overboard on the violence and killings.

Marlo is probably my least favourite character, Was really hoping he would cop a bullet to the head by the time season 4 finished.

revo333

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 7, 2018
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs

It makes a huge difference.

I watched all of breaking bad in probably 3 months and while it was great there is only a few moments that remain in the memory while with Game of Thrones I got to watch the last 3 seasons as they aired and I found i was watching the episodes again while waiting for the next one and you end up remember so much more.

Caesar

Ex-Huckleberry
Mar 3, 2005
Tombstone, AZ
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
People often find the second season a struggle on first watch through, just because it changes so much from season 1. However on re-watching, it becomes so many people's favourite season. Happened to me. It's so integral to the whole story arc.
Yeah, I really like season 2.

The only season I actively dislike is season 5, which got pretty silly at certain points. But even that had plenty of good elements.

Yeah, I really like season 2.

The only season I actively dislike is season 5, which got pretty silly at certain points. But even that had plenty of good elements.
s5 definitely the weakest. Still better than 99% of TV shows though and I think needed the season to tie up the ending.

revo333

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 7, 2018
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
All done, a great series and after one watch through i'd rank the seasons 4,1,3,5,2

I'd put season 5 ahead of season 2 as I thought the second last episode was one of the best of the entire series.

Now I look forward to reading through this whole thread!

When I watch again I think I'll just do 1,3 and 4. Am looking forward to picking on things I missed and more things making sense.

Back