The off topic thread 4.0

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Seems they've overreacted a bit with how much content they'll block so maybe it does.

It'll work it self out.
I think the amount they incorrectly blocked shows how little effort and care they put into it. Doesn't appear to me that they put a great deal of time into it and knew that if any page thought they had been incorrectly deemed a news site they'd get in contact and would fix on an individual basis

They shutdown about 90% of the population.

On moto g(6) plus using BigFooty.com mobile app

I think that's more coincidence because the dense population of Perth is WA's only population, rather than design. QLD for example still only shut down Brisbane, not 90% of its population. Sydney locked down even less as a percentage of population.

They would have flicked a switch. No discretion.
Yup. WOuld have been an AI probably looking for keywords in a page description or something. Catch everything and then a human can come in after and undo the ones that shouldn't have been blocked.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Fair old dummy spit from FB because things aren't going their way anymore.
Nothing like a Rupert Murdoch dummy spit to get us into this in the first place. No academic agrees with this stupid and draconian government law... yet they push ahead because Rupert isn't happy. They get the Greens onside because it's Anti-monopoly and you get it passed. The Liberal government is single handedly destroying the future of Australia and they couldn't be prouder of turning it into a Big Business owned state. Won't matter to them that people can't feed the family when they're on big business board positions after parliament.

Nothing like a Rupert Murdoch dummy spit to get us into this in the first place. No academic agrees with this stupid and draconian government law... yet they push ahead because Rupert isn't happy. They get the Greens onside because it's Anti-monopoly and you get it passed. The Liberal government is single handedly destroying the future of Australia and they couldn't be prouder of turning it into a Big Business owned state. Won't matter to them that people can't feed the family when they're on big business board positions after parliament.

Yeah, nah.

Yeah, nah.
Uncle Rupert isn't losing revenue due to Facebook posting the stories. People can still click on the news stories and go to the websites to read the whole article. They're losing ad revenue because no one wants their trash clickbait anymore and companies find it better to advertise directly on facebook because more people use it for s**t other than reading the news.

Uncle Rupert isn't losing revenue due to Facebook posting the stories. People can still click on the news stories and go to the websites to read the whole article. They're losing ad revenue because no one wants their trash clickbait anymore and companies find it better to advertise directly on facebook because more people use it for sh*t other than reading the news.

Uncle Rupert isn't the only one losing ad revenue.

I think Turnbull is probably right though that this would have worked better as a broad tax to support journalism.

Uncle Rupert isn't the only one losing ad revenue.

I think Turnbull is probably right though that this would have worked better as a broad tax to support journalism.
He isn't, but he's the main player in print based journalism.. around 60% of paper sales are News Corp. The rest I would say are split between Fairfax/Nine (who own the two other major papers in Sydney and Melbourne) and smaller independent players.

This is the only SA newspaper - any wonder they lose revenue when they resort to that s**t.

1613638223141.png

He isn't, but he's the main player in print based journalism.. around 60% of paper sales are News Corp. The rest I would say are split between Fairfax/Nine (who own the two other major papers in Sydney and Melbourne) and smaller independent players.

This is the only SA newspaper - any wonder they lose revenue when they resort to that sh*t.

View attachment 1060699

There might be reason they do it..

Dunno anyone who buys a paper anymore lol.

Because no one wants to read the trash that is in it these days. They're as bad as gossip mags.

That's definitely not the reason. That's the by-product of the reason.

Lot of Aussie journalists and budding young Jimmy Olsen types on low wage are going to lose a lot of money and income from this News/News Corp ban from Aussie Facebook, not to mention a likely number of job layoffs.

Hate Murdoch and his evil empire quite a lot, but this in an extremist and most troubling power play by Cuckerberg, and one that does not just affect News Corpse and it's employees either.

Lot of Aussie journalists and budding young Jimmy Olsen types on low wage are going to lose a lot of money and income from this News/News Corp ban from Aussie Facebook, not to mention a likely number of job layoffs.

Hate Murdoch and his evil empire quite a lot, but this in an extremist and most troubling power play by Cuckerberg, and one that does not just affect News Corpse and it's employees either.

If anything the hope would be the ban drives traffic to the actual sites and if anything boosts their revenue. Can't just read headlines on FB anymore.

If anything the hope would be the ban drives traffic to the actual sites and if anything boosts their revenue. Can't just read headlines on FB anymore.
I'd be surprised if the traffic matched what they would have gotten from Facebook.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back