Player Watch #8: Bailey Scott

Remove this Banner Ad

Mate, I've always had a bit more time for you than some other people have and I respect how you've held your own and stuck to your opinions through some flat out disgraceful personal abuse over the years, but on Scott you are just downright wrong. I think you've held onto this conception of him as a player since his junior days, when you regularly claimed we should let Geelong or the Suns have him, and you're maybe too stubborn to clearly confront the evidence of his performance in the AFL that's proved you wrong.
tZ may be a little on the repetitive side when it comes to his whipping boys.
However on Scott, he is not wrong (yet) & he is not right either.
Bailey burst onto the scene with a RS Nom in his first game & played some good games since.
It is very early days though... he still could be a bust.
Some posters calls of him being a 200 game player are a bit premature.
From what I’ve seen from him so far, I think he will have a fine career.
He was arguably BOG in the half a match sim I watched last week. He just runs tirelessly up & down the wing to create opportunities.

Agree - but it will make the apology all the more sweeter to those of us who rate Bailey.

Of course if it turns out that tZ is right - I will put my hand up and do the walk of shame first.
Fabulous situation for interested onlookers... Either way, we can't lose. TZb or SBG forced into a grovelling apology/humiliating climbdown. Grab the popcorn folks....

In my house it was definitely:

Vanilla - 1 vote
Strawberry - 2 votes
Chocolate - 3 votes
The strawberry sat in our freezer forever, it would probably still be there if the fridge hadn’t crapped out.

One of my brothers mates came over with a bottle of Pepsi and drank a couple of glasses and left the rest. He came back about 3 months later and it was in the fridge exactly as he left it. We loved Coke and I’d drink tap water ahead of Pepsi. Same goes with the strawberry, I ain’t no pink ice cream eating man!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Said it before and I'll say it again - Bailey Scott will be Captain one day. And anyone who thinks he won't see 200 games is just too distracted by the flashier players. Bailey is probably our most likely 200 gamer of all the youngsters we've got right now. And he'll do it like he does everything - quietly, dependably, intelligently, and with precision and durability across all skill sets - while everyone is paying more attention to the players who have more flare or bravado.

Not that I really know what a good old-fashioned footballer is, as I'm relatively new to the game, but he fits my idea of it. He's got timelessness about him, like Cunners does. Like you could put either one of them in a time machine and send them back a hundred years to play then, and they'd fit. Or send them forward a hundred years, and they'd fit.

Anyways, I love him. He's my new favourite player now that Jasper :( has gone. Bit of a shift, I know, but he's great, even with his non-flash hair. :zap:💙

Said it before and I'll say it again - Bailey Scott will be Captain one day. And anyone who thinks he won't see 200 games is just too distracted by the flashier players. Bailey is probably our most likely 200 gamer of all the youngsters we've got right now. And he'll do it like he does everything - quietly, dependably, intelligently, and with precision and durability across all skill sets - while everyone is paying more attention to the players who have more flare or bravado.

Not that I really know what a good old-fashioned footballer is, as I'm relatively new to the game, but he fits my idea of it. He's got timelessness about him, like Cunners does. Like you could put either one of them in a time machine and send them back a hundred years to play then, and they'd fit. Or send them forward a hundred years, and they'd fit.

Anyways, I love him. He's my new favourite player now that Jasper :( has gone. Bit of a shift, I know, but he's great, even with his non-flash hair. :zap:💙

Doubt he’ll be captain as Lmac , Jy then maybe LDU or even Phillips might be captain during his career

I do like everything else you wrote - Bailey will be a player.

Scott stepping up
Well into his third AFL pre-season, Bailey Scott is progressing both on and off the football field.
By Dan Woods - North Media - 1 hr ago

Well into his third AFL pre-season, Bailey Scott is progressing both on and off the football field.

Despite still being just 20 years of age, the 2018 draftee is keen to take on more responsibility as a leader within the playing group this season, especially with this year's crop of new draftees.

“I think naturally the longer you’re at the club, the more responsibility you take on,” Scott told North Media.

“I’m more than happy to help out the younger boys and teach them their roles and responsibilities as North Melbourne players.

“With the new coaches coming in I learnt everything new as quickly as possible, so I could help the new boys transition into the AFL environment.”

Scott is looking to make himself a permanent part of the Roos’ best 22, and believes confidence is key to achieving his goals.

He was a standout at the start of his first year in 2019, earning a NAB Rising Star nomination, but injuries and form curtailed his progress.

Bouncing back in 2020, the hard-running wingman played the last 12 games and continued his improvement.

Now, going forward, he’s determined not to neglect improving on the strongest aspects of his game.

“I want to develop more confidence to bring out further parts of what my football looks like and become an important player in the AFL side this year,” Scott said.

“As I get older I need to continue adding a bit of strength to my frame and I managed to achieve a bit of that over the summer, which is awesome.

“I have a good understanding of the areas I need to work on the most, but I need to be mindful I don’t lose my run and drive with the footy in the process.”

They should have a picture of this kid in the dictionary under "dedication"

WILL be a very, very good footballer, and is a possible future captain.

I've been to training twice this pre-season for Friday scratch matches. Especially last week's game I was blown away by the quality of Bailey's football more than just about anybody else out on the park. He was in everything. One passage of play where he took the ball out of the back line with a precision pass down the wing, kept on linking up until he had a shot for goal from 50 that was touched on the line from memory.

To me he clearly stands out as a player with time and poise who makes the right decisions every time. When others are making mistakes he'll be the one cleaning up after them. He has precise foot skills, he can stick tackles, kick goals, take contested marks and clearly possesses close to elite endurance. Above all of this the kid clearly has heart and determination. There's a maturity about him which is very comforting in such a young team. I'm not saying he's going to be Isaac Smith or Nigel Lappin but he's someone I think we can be very confident will be a very good player for us, for many years to come.

100% Agree.

This bloke is our Trent Cotchin, just does everything well, no fuss.

Cleaner than just about everyone on our list, and the one you’d want kicking a goal after the siren.

Tz was right about Gibson, MacMillan and Dumont. And wrong about Bonar and Scott. I also have time for the kids resilience, despite his incorrect stance on this particular player.

100% Agree.

This bloke is our Trent Cotchin, just does everything well, no fuss.

Cleaner than just about everyone on our list, and the one you’d want kicking a goal after the siren.

Tz was right about Gibson, MacMillan and Dumont. And wrong about Bonar and Scott. I also have time for the kids resilience, despite his incorrect stance on this particular player.

Tz was not right about Macmillan. You don't get to be wrong in your called list changes some 150 weeks in a row and claim vindication when the 10 year player moves to the coaching panel.

How old is Darby?

Also, I am a big rap for Bailey. The only thing he needs in my eyes is more confidence/self belief he cant tear games apart. That with some physical development, we have ourselves a player.

How old is Darby?

Also, I am a big rap for Bailey. The only thing he needs in my eyes is more confidence/self belief he cant tear games apart. That with some physical development, we have ourselves a player.
Pretty sure this year is his draft year? Although others will know for sure.

Bailey doesn't seem the type to rip a game apart, but rather the type you don't even think about because he will just get you 22-30 a game with a goal every other game without fail

Tz was not right about Macmillan. You don't get to be wrong in your called list changes some 150 weeks in a row and claim vindication when the 10 year player moves to the coaching panel.

Just because the coaches didn't drop him, doesn't mean he didn't deserve to be dropped.
And he was dropped, he was delisted.... you can mark it any which way you want, in my eyes - that's a tick.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back