Training 2021 Pre-Season

It was originally going to be but they changed their plans after the lockdown.

It was clarified on SEN and by the club on twitter after people were disappointed there wasnt a stream.
Ah fair enough. My point was that intraclub is the most intense before the JLT games start. I wasn't there today and was told it was intraclub.

Most likely
Slow process
6-8 weeks for minor fractures usually. Then 3-4 weeks running.

Probably can rule him out for 6 months straight off the bat given it's a severe (clean break) injury. That takes us to the middle of August. Then you've got a few weeks building fitness back. He could be back for finals but I doubt it.

May 6, 2009
AFL Club
St Kilda
6-8 weeks for minor fractures usually. Then 3-4 weeks running.

Probably can rule him out for 6 months straight off the bat given it's a severe (clean break) injury. That takes us to the middle of August. Then you've got a few weeks building fitness back. He could be back for finals but I doubt it.

Michael barlow was at least a full year with the same kind of break.

Was also never the same player as he showed pre injury either, as with nathan brown.

Fingers crossed it's different for pato but history says it's a seriously career limiting injury.

Forget about this year, or even next year really in terms of him being anywhere near his pre injury self.

Let's just hope he gets back to where he was any ANY point in time.

bergholt

Good Ordinary Player
Mar 14, 2007
Brunswick
AFL Club
St Kilda

Was also never the same player as he showed pre injury either, as with nathan brown.

Fingers crossed it's different for pato but history says it's a seriously career limiting injury.

Forget about this year, or even next year really in terms of him being anywhere near his pre injury self.

Yeah, this doesn't look good for the kid. Reminds me of Jayden Attard - cemented himself in the side then had a bad injury and never made it back.

It helps that Patto is two things - young and small. Usually taller/bigger players take a lot more time and/or have a tougher time coming back from these breaks. Heavier, more bone to heal. Older you get the harder it is too of course.

Patto will be back to normal I reckon. Got no concerns over that. Just sucks for him his season is pretty much over before it began.

Maybe I am missing something here. But if we are going to stack one team so heavily in the mids and forwards (especially mids), and have one way traffic all day, why not put the first choice defenders on the first choice forwards (play at least some of Coff, Howard, Wilkie etc in yellow)?

At least then we can practice transition out of defence, and give a more genuine contest?

Seems a waste to have out first choice defenders missing out on most of the match sim, and doing SFA all day. Just wondering out loud.

Also sounds like time for that insurance ruckman!!

If there is a strong focus on connection and transition, or even defensive structures it makes sense to have the whole probables team working on the same side.

From a coaching perspective one sided match simulations very often mean team structures and tactics are working.

Circus

Wise Veteran
Apr 19, 2012
Smithton
AFL Club
St Kilda
Watched the replay with eyes half closed because it looked bloody horrendous. I sincerely hope the footage makes it look worse than it was, although I can't see how both bones can't have been broken. But the type of break is critically important for Ben's recovery.

Equally as important is how this affects the club and how we deal with it as the season gets under way. Its a significant set back to team plans and structures. We need an entire club approach so that every-one can share the pain as well as look forward to the next contest. It must be shattering for the coaches and players for something like this to happen in such a benign manner.

Its a difficult balancing act but I have no doubt our club is mature and professional enough to deal with it. We have the right people to gather the players together because they have to be both cuddled and their resolve strengthened.

The last thing we need to do as supporters is point the finger, proportion blame and identify culprits for an accident. A shattering accident. That is exactly the kind of stuff than can derail a season. Maybe our motto should be "Strength Though Adversity."

Do.... do you... hear the snap?!!

Or is it just a camera clicking...

Poor bastard doesn't even go in to shock. He's crying out in pain straight away.

Poor bastard doesn't even go in to shock. He's crying out in pain straight away.
It’s shocking
Broke my leg when I was 19 at work both bones took me years to get my leg even close to normal
The pain was unbelievable and still have flashbacks and grab my leg can’t watch stuff like that

Oct 21, 2016
AFL Club
St Kilda
Yes. Your first point is what really worries me.
Goose and Nathan Brown were never the same after sustaining really bad breaks.
Really hoping for the kid that this is not as bad.
Plenty that have made a full recovery too though.
Mitch Wallis comes to mind

On Pixel 3 XL using BigFooty.com mobile app

freebloke

Cancelled
Apr 8, 2016
AFL Club
St Kilda
Imagine if it was a VFL match, and it was the opposition team’s player who did this. Everyone would be crying blue murder and wanting 6 weeks for a late hit. Roughy’s a great guy, and Paton’s a twig in comparison.

Nobody’s saying anything that Roughy did was malicious. It was a poor outcome, more so, for Paton who is an up and comer.

If having a training injury makes us triple premiers then so be it!

I don’t think the analogy works. There is no co-relation. That’s like saying, “oh, if being super capitalist with a minimum wage that hasn’t changed for 11 years makes us a super power, so be it”.

Having good training standards are important. I don’t know if most premiership winning teams would treat injuries in pre season as an indicator, even in jest.

can coach

Team Captain
Aug 22, 2013
AFL Club
St Kilda
Do.... do you... hear the snap?!!

Or is it just a camera clicking...

Really sad to watch. You can hear patto in agony and roughy just probably in shock looking at Pattos leg. Sounds like it will be a long recovery for the kid . You see those type of tackles every week so go easy on rough. Opens the door for Tom Highmore thou , probably a like for like .

It’s shocking
Broke my leg when I was 19 at work both bones took me years to get my leg even close to normal
The pain was unbelievable and still have flashbacks and grab my leg can’t watch stuff like that
Horrendous mate.

I've broken my arm and done an ACL both playing football when I was a teenager, the arm break was clean and pain was shocking so I can't imagine the leg, a bigger bone. My arm never fully healed properly, it's visibly different to my other arm and I still get slight aches in it...this is now 15 years after the injury.

Don't think I've seen an injury at the Saints as sad as Ben's since Riewoldt did his AC against the Lions

Sep 12, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
St Kilda
Horrendous mate.

I've broken my arm and done an ACL both playing football when I was a teenager, the arm break was clean and pain was shocking so I can't imagine the leg, a bigger bone. My arm never fully healed properly, it's visibly different to my other arm and I still get slight aches in it...this is now 15 years after the injury.

Don't think I've seen an injury at the Saints as sad as Ben's since Riewoldt did his AC against the Lions
Gears compartment syndrome springs to mind.

Gears compartment syndrome springs to mind.
Horrific too but I felt differently to that. Maybe because Gears already had a long career behind him. Ben's is horrific and sad for me.

I heard Roughy visited and stayed with Ben at the hospital after training?

If so it shows how far we have come as a group under this new leadership. I heard the other week the group is now as close as the Riewoldt/Lenny/BJ era.

I hope this galvanizes the players, especially the young ones n Coff and Clark who are his best mates.

Back