List Mgmt. Analysing the 2018 trade period

Remove this Banner Ad

The last of the individual trade reviews.

2017 Trade 28
In the last and easily the most one sided trade Freo made in 2017 we had another player with that queasy feeling in their stomach and a hankering for mum's cooking. More synically I suspect most are suffering from wallet emptyitis. Fortunately it was Matera who had that feeling and Freo was his destination of choice. So we waved goodbye to our future round 3 pick, picked up our boots and went home from the trade spectacle.

From day one Matera proved a frustration to Freo fans who always wanted a bit more from the small forward who seemed to define mercurial. Looking over the numbers his average contribution of 60.1 SC points per game is just low in my opinion. Still he gave us 43 games and 2585 SC points before the powers that be decided enough was enough and delisted him.

Gold Coast wasn’t as fortunate. They traded that future R3 pick, which I believe ended life as Pick 44, to Brisbane in 2018’s fourth trade. It was a pick frenzy with seven picks changing hands. None of which GC held onto. Pick 24 became 27 before being sent to West Coast as part of trade 44. GC then took Jez, McLennan who is yet to be sighted in the wild and a future round 5 West Coast pick (yep that’s a 2019 pick for those counting). Back in trade 4 GC also picked up pick 27, which got sent to Geelong as GC sort talent. The meagre output George Horlin-Smith offered suggested they didn’t succeed. Still they did get a late pick, 80. Except those junk time picks seem to be more and more useless as the AFL limits the number of picks teams take to draft night. 2018 P80 never surfaced after the trade, neither did 2019’s WC round 5 pick.

All that is to say that after count back’s and proportional distribution GC weighed in with 2 games and 85 SC points confirming this as the most one sided trade Freo had in 2017.
Yeah we traded a future (2018) 3rd rounder for Brandon Matera.

Still had a year to go but was out of favour at the suns.

Had we waited one more season, Freo would of got him as a free agent on a 3 year deal

Yeah we traded a future (2018) 3rd rounder for Brandon Matera.

Still had a year to go but was out of favour at the suns.

Had we waited one more season, Freo would of got him as a free agent on a 3 year deal
Just as well we didn’t. He would likely have been grossly overpaid as a free agent and judging by his work ethic last year, coasted through the contract whilst making minimal impact.

There are two trades in question. Yes we used Pick 41 in the trade for Pick 2. But it was the top up in that trade. There were other options at the time. Consequently I would say that we way over paid for Pick 41. Making Andy more expensive than required. The trade for Andy, statistically speaking, is even or slightly in GC’s favour. The trade for Pick 41 is not even close, statistically speaking.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
Pretty sure that at the very moment we made the trade for Crozier it was pick 39. Very soon after a FA compo pick was allocated to push back to 40 and then another to 41. Anyway Crozier was out of contract and had made his mind that he was going. Pick 39/40 for Crozier was a little under for us but we did quite well out of the Hamling trade a year earlier. So a goodwill trade so to speak.

The pick 41 (which was the Crozier pick after compo’s) was thrown into the Weller for pick 2 because we were set on pick 2. On points value throwing in pick 41 made the trade value for Weller was about pick 3. Can’t really combine all these trades. They need to be treated in isolation.

1. The Crozier trade was ok - just under and good value for WB.

2. The Weller trade for us was very good value. Weller is a good player but pick 2 in the draft is very good compensation.

3. Matera for future 3rd (4th rounder like what we paid for Colyer would be about par; considering GCS wanted him gone). We paid overs I reckon but he was under contract and we obviously promised a deal would get done and it was getting down to trade deadline. Wasn’t really the sort of player we needed. We needed a slippery, quick and more agile small forward. Not the nuggety short and slow small forward. Better due diligence without the pressure from Colin Young. I reckon Rosich and Young had some love affair going on.

Today I start looking at Freo's 2016 trade period. A time of great excitement, anticipation and early picks. After all we rolled up to the trade pick with P3 in our pocket and a bunch of players wanting to come home. The world was our oyster... perhaps.

2016 Trade 1
The sun rose greeting the early bird and Freo’s trade team who were after a plumb trade. There were rumours GWS needed trade currency. They had an unprecedented number of academe players tipped to go in the first two rounds and they wanted them all. Sure enough we were rewarded. We passed pick 3 to GWS and giggled like silly little school girls as we made off with pick 7, 35, 72 and Cam McCarthy.

Yes. Finally we traded in a forward to join Pav and deliver some elusive piece of silverware. Except 2017 was as good as Cam’s performances got. We picked up Griffin Logue with 7 who also hasn’t come on as we hoped. Once again we need to knock on the door of the strength and conditioning people with a quiet question. Can you get one tall defender on the park for a whole season. Pick 35 was spent in trade 11 and pick 72 in trade 36. More on both of those later. So after countbacks, player contributions and so forth we can say that our opening move in 2016 eventually earned a healthy 147 attributed games and 8509 SC points at an average of 57.9 points per game.

What about GWS. Well they weren’t hanging around and dealt picks 3 and 16 in trade 3 to Brisbane who have enjoyed the Luggage they drafted at the time. By way of compensation they received picks 2, 31, 51 and 60. But that’s only the start of the story. In a masterclass of swaps, trades and academe compensation. SOS managed to use this trade as the basis for sending picks 15, 37, 38, 44, 51, 52, 54, 55 and 56 to pick up Will Setterfield (P4), Harry Perryman (P14) and Isaac Cumming (P20). Lets pause for a moment to appreciate GWS’s 2016 trade period for a second, before remembering that it was about then that the AFL said “that’s enough of that young son”, promptly banning teams banking large numbers of picks for draft night. Still adding pick 16 to pick 3 meant that on count back GWS could only bring 68% of it’s trade 3 score to trade 1.

Freo trade team walks away with he chocolates with their 147 games easily accounting for GWS’s 70. They also comfortably accounted for GWS’s 5778 SC points. But the chocolates are only plain Cadbury’s dairy milk. Watching Taranto and Perryman contribute an average in excess of 82 SC per game leaves us with an opportunity to gaze at our navel a bit contemplating the what if’s of poor fitness both mental and physical.

2016 Trade 11
Trade 11 in 2016 was one of those all too rare opportunities to bring a sandgroper home. We were all feeling good over the McCarthy thing so the powers that be sidled up to the dogs and politely requested they hand over Hamling for a respectable round two pick in 35. Provided they gave us change of course. A few beers later we added 43 and 61 to the pot. They reciprocated with 40 and 63 and we all headed off smiling.

Their smiles led them straight to trade 16 where they handed over 35 and 43 in a deal for pick 26 and pick 80. Pick 26 they took to the draft eventually securing Lipinski but recognised that 80 isn’t worth the paper it’s printed on, leving it in the bin somewhere between trade and draft night. They didn’t hang onto pick 63 either dealing it to St Kilda along with North’s 2017 round 4 pick and Koby Stevens. In return they received pick 50 (Young, Lewis ) and St Kind’s 2017 round 5 pick. For those able to use the tool it tells you that Stevens was worth less than nothing at the end of the trade. (I’m not kidding on count back he was worth -32 AFL academe points. Ouch). 50 became Young, Lewis (yes I’m calling him that from now on) who hasn’t made too many games. St Kilda’s round 5 eventually became Callum Porter who played a single game before being delisted last year. Which is a nice way of saying that Lipinski made all the running and the Dogs only gained 43 games and 3080 SC points out of all that effort.

Hamling only made it onto the park for 3 seasons (I’m trying to be polite about the S&C people so I won’t say a thing) but managed the win here all by himself. However we should be excited about pick 40 here. We picked up B Cox who is starting to come on well filling in amongst the frequently decimated KPD stocks. The steak knives in the trade, pick 63 ended up in the Kersten trade (see below for details) but as this was all that was traded we can add 100% on the count back.

So to the verdict, Freo by the length of the Whitten Oval. We brought 138 games and 8677 SC points to a very one sided affair. Those counting may point out that the dogs managed a better SC points per game number at 68.5 where we could only muster 62.9. I’ll counter that by saying all three players we called spend all their time as key forwards or backs. Consequently I expect their possession numbers to be down and as stated previously regard games played as a better indicator particularly for defenders.

2016 Trade 32 18
We bothered because pick 63 was the steak knives in the Hamling deal and hey there was another forward in the offing who wanted to come home. As backup plans go it was a valid option if the McCarthy thing failed. Of course you're all fresh out of luck if plan b fails too.

None of that however was front of mind when Geelong summoned Fremantle announcing they were reconsidering the deal and would now gladly trade Kersten for that inconsequential pick 63. Their motives were clarified immediately as it was passed to Carlton whilst the ink was still wet allowing Geelong to secure Zac Tuohy.

Kersten unfortunately didn’t have a huge impact at Freo. He played 29 games, scored 1581 SC points and could have been something. He did however hand us a win here as that pick 63 was worth less than 9% of trade 19 meaning that Geelong only attributes 9 games and 651 points to the trade. They don’t care. Trade 19 was all about Tuohy but they do remind us that we need better SC points per match. Kersten only ran at 54.5. Tuohy and Lachie Fogarty average 76.2. Another limited victory.

Last edited:
2016 Trade 11
Trade 11 in 2016 was one of those all too rare opportunities to bring a sandgroper home. We were all feeling good over the McCarthy thing so the powers that be sidled up to the dogs and politely requested they hand over Hamling for a respectable round two pick in 35. Provided they gave us change of course. A few beers later we added 43 and 61 to the pot. They reciprocated with 40 and 63 and we all headed off smiling.

Their smiles led them straight to trade 16 where they handed over 35 and 43 in a deal for pick 26 and pick 80. Pick 26 they took to the draft eventually securing Lipinski but recognised that 80 isn’t worth the paper it’s printed on, leving it in the bin somewhere between trade and draft night. They didn’t hang onto pick 63 either dealing it to St Kilda along with North’s 2017 round 4 pick and Koby Stevens. In return they received pick 50 (Young, Lewis ) and St Kind’s 2017 round 5 pick. For those able to use the tool it tells you that Stevens was worth less than nothing at the end of the trade. (I’m not kidding on count back he was worth -32 AFL academe points. Ouch). 50 became Young, Lewis (yes I’m calling him that from now on) who hasn’t made too many games. St Kilda’s round 5 eventually became Callum Porter who played a single game before being delisted last year. Which is a nice way of saying that Lipinski made all the running and the Dogs only gained 43 games and 3080 SC points out of all that effort.

Hamling only made it onto the park for 3 seasons (I’m trying to be polite about the S&C people so I won’t say a thing) but managed the win here all by himself. However we should be excited about pick 40 here. We picked up B Cox who is starting to come on well filling in amongst the frequently decimated KPD stocks. The steak knives in the trade, pick 63 ended up in the Kersten trade (see below for details) but as this was all that was traded we can add 100% on the count back.

So to the verdict, Freo by the length of the Whitten Oval. We brought 138 games and 8677 SC points to a very one sided affair. Those counting may point out that the dogs managed a better SC points per game number at 68.5 where we could only muster 62.9. I’ll counter that by saying all three players we called spend all their time as key forwards or backs. Consequently I expect their possession numbers to be down and as stated previously regard games played as a better indicator particularly for defenders.

2016 Trade 32 18
We bothered because pick 63 was the steak knives in the Hamling deal and hey there was another forward in the offing who wanted to come home. As backup plans go it was a valid option if the McCarthy thing failed. Of course you're all fresh out of luck if plan b fails too.

None of that however was front of mind when Geelong summoned Fremantle announcing they were reconsidering the deal and would now gladly trade Kersten for that inconsequential pick 63. Their motives were clarified immediately as it was passed to Carlton whilst the ink was still wet allowing Geelong to secure Zac Tuohy.

Kersten unfortunately didn’t have a huge impact at Freo. He played 29 games, scored 1581 SC points and could have been something. He did however hand us a win here as that pick 63 was worth less than 9% of trade 19 meaning that Geelong only attributes 9 games and 651 points to the trade. They don’t care. Trade 19 was all about Tuohy but they do remind us that we need better SC points per match. Kersten only ran at 54.5. Tuohy and Lachie Fogarty average 76.2. Another limited victory.
We just have a terrible history with getting forwards. McCarthy, Kersten, Gumbleton, Sylvia (mid-fwd but still), Hogan, the list goes on.

We really need some sort of change with the way we pick our recruits.

We just have a terrible history with getting forwards. McCarthy, Kersten, Gumbleton, Sylvia (mid-fwd but still), Hogan, the list goes on.

We really need some sort of change with the way we pick our recruits.
We have taken Sturt and Henry with reasonable picks, and while they are not KPPs they do look like quality.

2016 Trade 11

2016 Trade 32 18

That was a very enjoyable read. Keep em coming

That was a very enjoyable read. Keep em coming
I'll look ay 2019
For mine 2019 ended up being a fantastic trade period now seeing the main negative at the time was that we were unable to get the points required to match the Henry bid and that led to the 2021 going back from pick 7 to pick 10. With Essendon receiving pick 7 as compensation for losing Daniher the pick we would have had heading into the draft was 8 and it would have been used at pick 11 in the actual draft after the Bulldogs and Sydney had matched academy bids for
Braeden Campbell.and Jamarra Ugle-Hagan.

Its early days but I think Chapman will turn out to be a gun so we lost nothing by the pick slipping and perhaps will benefit from taking Chapman if we were going to select someone else had the pick not slipped. The three players drafted picks 11-13 were also all smallish onballers and inside players. I think its very likely we would have gone with Chapman even if we had not slid done due to owing points. Archie Perkins was a player I wanted to draft but he would have been gone by our pick if we had kept it anyway.

The trades.
For Brad Hill we received pick 10, a future second-round pick, a future fourth-round pick, pick No.58 and Blake Acres. I think pick 58 ended up being used to draft Michael Frederick.

We received pick No.22, 79 and a future second-round selection and gave up Langdon, pick No.26 and a future fourth-round selection.

Then the Dockers dealt Pick 10, Pick 28 and a 2020 fourth-round pick to the Demons, in return for Pick 8.
Kysaiah Kropinyeri-Pickett (12), Trent Rivers (32) were the players Melbourne selected with the picks gained from us.

James Aish went to us along with pick 69 and a future third round draft selection for the St Kilda second rounder. I think pick 69 ended up being used on Frderick. The exchange of picks where we sent a future third to St Kilda but got StKilda future second means we effectively got Aish for the future second as we received Collingwood future third in this trade.

In summary the trade that made the 2019 trade period such a big win for us with the benefit of hindsight (in my opinion) was that the move of the the Number 10 pick to pick 8 in a trade that seemed overs at the time (moving from 10 to 8 for the sake of a second and 2020 fourth rounder) ended up allowing us to to select Serong. The St Kilda trade also brought us Acres and the draft picks that got us both Aish (via trade) and allowed us to select Frederick (I think). They all look like being very good long term players. The Langdon trade wasn't great in terms of what we got in return but it was better than nothing as he was going to join Melbourne via the preseason draft if we didnt make that trade.

While we weren't able to match the Henry bid we did enter the trade period without a third or fourth round pick so the trades we made were still enough for us to get enough points to match some of the points required for Henry as well using the traded Melbourne second rounder live in the draft to match part of the points for the Henry bid. Picket and Rivers will have to be absolute guns to make the Melbourne decision to trade a pick that ended up being Caleb Serong even close to even. Im sure Melbourne would take back this trade with the benefit of hindsight.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back