2021 Music

Remove this Banner Ad

Waiting on a War

Waiting on a War is not good. It has a cool 4 chord progression in the chorus, but it's trash outside of that

Is Clint back? If not then a strong sneh

Aye, with Clint.

The wrote a new tune which they debuted this time last year I think then COVID derailed it all as with everything.

Both the new Foo Fighters and Rubens albums are ok without being great. Kind of album I don’t mind but not sure if I’ll go back often. Though the Rubens is perhaps more of a grower. It’s good to see them change up their sound but I do fear they are losing what made them different and they are starting to sound like many other indie pop bands.

I don't understand the appeal beyond the hype generated by the singles. It's watered down Slint with no point of difference beyond some milquetoast horns. Self-censoring the "big pharma" line on Sunglasses? Pretty lame.

It's not bad - I'll listen to it - but it's not the best album released this year. That honour would have to go to Shame - Drunk Tank Pink.

On SM-G970W using BigFooty.com mobile app

I get Slint vibes, but also kind of has the atmosphere of something like Sun Kil Moon’s Benji.

Not the worst, but a little bland on first listen. The ideas are fine, it’s just lacking some real depth and could have been trimmed to something closer to EP length.

The 6 track LP does hark back to Spiderland a fair bit.

Think indie rock is in a flat spot in general, but the band will end up putting out some decent stuff.

I get Slint vibes, but also kind of has the atmosphere of something like Sun Kil Moon’s Benji.

Not the worst, but a little bland on first listen. The ideas are fine, it’s just lacking some real depth and could have been trimmed to something closer to EP length.

The 6 track LP does hark back to Spiderland a fair bit.

Think indie rock is in a flat spot in general, but the band will end up putting out some decent stuff.
I'm more interested to see what Squid do (from the same scene) with their debut LP this year. Their sound isn't really anything new either, but I've still enjoyed everything they have put out.

I'm more interested to see what Squid do (from the same scene) with their debut LP this year. Their sound isn't really anything new either, but I've still enjoyed everything they have put out.

Pretty cool. Sounds like a more mathy Talking Heads.

Just waiting for one banging indie rock LP to be released this year.

On a semi-related note Lana Del Rey is coming out with a new LP soon.

2nd single from Royal Blood's expected new album came out about a month ago and I have just only discovered it today.

Song is called Typhoons and has similar insturmentals and sounds like Arcade Fire & IDKHOWBTFM but with more guitar riffs with it and boy is it such a banger to listen to so far for anyone interested in that sort of Alternative Rock & Indie Pop music.

Their album (Typhoons) is expected to be released to the public on the 30th April, 2021.

Last edited:
2nd single from Royal Blood's expected new album came out about a month ago and I have just only discovered it today.

Song is called Typhoons and has similar insturmentals and sounds like Arcade Fire & IDKHOWBTFM but with more guitar riffs with it and boy is it such a banger to listen to so far for anyone interested in that sort of Alternative Rock & Indie Pop music.

Their album (Typhoons) is expected to be released to the public on the 30th April, 2021.

The chorus riff and chorus outro riff are excellent.

Masked Wolf will likely get massive very soon

103 million plays for Astronaut on spotify now, the horse has bolted!

Its a killer song

Thurnin - Menhir & Harakiri for the sky - Maere are clearly my 2 favourite albums released this year. Menhir is an (acoustic) instrumental folk album and Maere is a mix of black & post-metal. Although sonically they aren't very similar, the atmosphere created by each album is spot on, 'majesty' vs 'chaotic beauty.' I would say HFTS are rapidly becoming one of my favourite metal bands that formed this century, and maybe even beyond this century. Thurnin on the other hand, is a one man project from the Netherlands and 'Menhir' is his first album.

Thurnin - Menhir & Harakiri for the sky - Maere are clearly my 2 favourite albums released this year. Menhir is an (acoustic) instrumental folk album and Maere is a mix of black & post-metal. Although sonically they aren't very similar, the atmosphere created by each album is spot on, 'majesty' vs 'chaotic beauty.' I would say HFTS are rapidly becoming one of my favourite metal bands that formed this century, and maybe even beyond this century. Thurnin on the other hand, is a one man project from the Netherlands and 'Menhir' is his first album.
Just listening to Thurnin - Trials of Menhir, and you're right it is majestic. Beautiful.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Haven't heard of too many artists I like that are releasing albums this year, Anneke van Giersbergen (ex The Gathering) released a new album last Friday, Imelda May has one coming out in April and Nancy Wilson (Heart) is releasing her debut solo album in early May.

The ARIA charts have been pretty solid this year. Of the 11 tracks to enter the top 10 this year for the first time, I don't dislike any, fine with all of them. Good Days a clear standout, but quite dig Calling My Phone as well, plus you have Weeknd, the triple J top 2, and even the likes of Sheeran, Bieber and Tones are on the rebound after some utter shite recently.

Budjerah's 2nd single came out recently, another wholesome banger

Madlib the bad kid's album is pretty cool. Lots of groovy beats, baby.

Also gave Flyying Colours' album a listen. Aussie shoegazey indie band. Not exactly reinventing the wheel, but I reckon it's got some decent tracks on it and is worth a listen if you're into that sort of thing.

Liking the new Rich Brian track

Feel like his next project might hit. 1999 was a bit mixed, his emo melodic execution was dodgy at times, and still needed to dial down those persistent Drake-isms, but hopefully he learned. This is better than anything on that EP (although that had a few tunes).

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back