Our two greatest trades: How Fremantle paid to stop worrying and love Serong.

Remove this Banner Ad

Oct 25, 2002
Roleystone
AFL Club
Fremantle
TLDR: Serong = 10 + 28 + 4th round pick

Fremantle didn't trade to get Serong, they traded to get a pick ahead of a Henry bid.

That's right and I believe it was the best wheeling and dealing in our history.

Story time now, if you'll indulge me. Our two greatest trades happened 20 years apart. Carlton is the arsehole on both occasions. Here we go:

At 2019's end we finished 13th our 1st round pick would have been 6 except for GC being gifted a priority pick and so became pick 7. Pick 8 was held by North and pick 9 was in the hands of Carlton (who had traded with Adelaide in a pick swap in 2018). Pick 10 started it's journey in Port Adelaide's hands as its 1st rd pick for finishing 10th.

Brad Hill wanted to go to St Kilda and we knew Liam Henry was potentially going around pick 10. If Billy were to go we would ideally like to recieve a pick before Henry was bid on. St Kilda held pick 6 before the trade period started and we would have coveted that pick in exchange for Brad. In the second trade completed St Kilda traded out pick 6 & 59 for 12 & 18. Bugger.

St Kilda next move was to sent 12 & 18 to Port in exchange for pick 10, Dougal Howard and Paddy Ryder.

The next day the deal for Brad Hill was done. Hill and our future 3rd left the building and in came picks 10, 58, StK's future 2nd & 4th plus Blake Acres. We quickly passed on the two future picks for James Aish, 69(nice :)) and Collingwood's future 3rd. So by Wednesday evening, we had 10, 58, 69, Aish, Acres and Collingwood's 3rd pick in 2020 for the price of Brad Hill and our 3rd rd pick in the following year.

I'm not sure if you are aware but there is a lot of nothin' going on for long periods in trade week We were probably looking at our picks 7 and 10 and wondering/worrying/driving ourselves mad with the idea that some arsehole would bid on Henry at 8 or 9. Those two adverseries were Melbourne and Carlton. I imagine Melbourne got in our ear and were trying to convince us that those dogs over at Carlton really really liked Henry and that Melbourne could generously help us out, when that didn't work they probably told us- "screw it, we'll bid on him at 8 unless you agree to a deal."

We eventually decided we couldn't trust Carlton or Melbourne and so agreed to a deal with Melbourne for pick 8. Melbourne probably wanted our picks 10 and 22. We didn't want to hand over 22 as well as 10 to Melbourne, plus we needed to get some sweet late draft picks to pay for Henry. And so we made a deal with Adelaide. Out went pick 22 and the future 3rd from Collingwood we were holding and in came 28, 49 and Carlton's future 4th.

21st November-Finally we arrive at the big one. Fremantle receives PICK8. Melbourne receives PICK10, 28 and the future 4th. Melbourne would have been delighted with this and we are left wondering whether this trade was really necessary. I mean if Henry doesn't get bid on before 10 it wasn't even necessary, and we look like nervous nellies who blinked first.

Fast forward to the draft.

Gil's ,"Fremantle Pick 7 Hayden Young, Fremantle Pick 8 Caleb Serong, Carlton Pick 9 has bid on Liam Henry. Fremantle has matched the bid and with pick 9 selects Liam Henry. Carlton pick 10 has bid on Tom Green. GWS matches"

*2minutes later*

"Carlton has live traded pick 11 to Gold Coast."

Carlton later claim their shenanigans was to buy time but I believe it's because they are still offended over the Stephen O'Reilly trade.

Bigfooty Classic Post - " Worst trade ever? That's easy. Pick 16 and 46 for Stephen O'Reilly who played 12 games for the Blues. AND Carlton had to pay him illegally outside the cap. AND he blew the whistle on them. AND the Scum had to pay a fine. AND they got kicked out of the draft and had to recruit hacks. AND it meant that their multi-million investment in Denis Pagan was a waste because he had no players. Stephen O'Reilly for - Pick 16, pick 46, $1m fine, pick 1, 2, 17 and 33 in the 2003 draft, pick 1 in the 2003 PSD, 1st and 2nd round picks in the 2004 draft. Daylight second behind this one.

Last edited:
Summary 2019
Outgoing: Brad Hill, pick 22, a 2020 3rd and something like a future 5th
Incoming 8, 49, 58, 69, Acres, Aish

Drafthand: 7, 8, 49, 58, 69, 79, 83
Picks: Hayden Young, Caleb Serong, Liam Henry and Michael Fredericks(the pick for Michael came from Brisbane for a peppercorn)

Carryover debt: Henry's points deficit resulted in sliding from 10 to 14. We picked Chapman. The opportunity cost was that we could have selected Reid, Pedlar, Powelll or Bruhn instead of Chapman. Who knows?

Carlton later claim their shenanigans was to buy time but I believe it's because they are still offended over the Stephen O'Reilly trade.

I personally believe that Carlton was dirty on us for ruining their deal with Adelaide. Adelaide were happy to downgrade their pick 6 to Carlton's pick 9 if they knew McAsey would still be there. Freo suspecting Carlton would pounce on Young at pick 6 started showing interest in McAsey, so Adelaide backed out of the deal. Carlton then wanted revenge for missing out on Young.

I personally believe that Carlton was dirty on us for ruining their deal with Adelaide. Adelaide were happy to downgrade their pick 6 to Carlton's pick 9 if they knew McAsey would still be there. Freo suspecting Carlton would pounce on Young at pick 6 started showing interest in McAsey, so Adelaide backed out of the deal. Carlton then wanted revenge for missing out on Young.
And Freo picked the two players on Carlton's board right before they got the chance to.

Excellent draft for Freo and we should see the fruits of that this season - we just need to keep in mind that it's a lot easier to have a rockstar draft when the players are taken as first round picks.

Think we traded a 2020 4th to Brisbane to jump up a few spots at the tail end of the draft and pick Frederick
I thought we used our last pick of the picks that were 69, 79, 83.entering draft to select Frederick that werent used to match the Henry bid. Those picks all went forward significantly due to how multiple pick late bids were used on matching academy and father son bids.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

TLDR: Serong = 10 + 28 + 4th round pick

That's right and I believe it was the best wheeling and dealing in our history.

Story time now, if you'll indulge me. Our two greatest trades happened 20 years apart. Carlton is the arsehole on both occasions. Here we go:

At 2019's end we finished 13th our 1st round pick would have been 6 except for GC being gifted a priority pick and so became pick 7. Pick 8 was held by North and pick 9 was in the hands of Carlton (who had traded with Adelaide in a pick swap in 2018). Pick 10 started it's journey in Port Adelaide's hands as its 1st rd pick for finishing 10th.

Brad Hill wanted to go to St Kilda and we knew Liam Henry was potentially going around pick 10. If Billy were to go we would ideally like to recieve a pick before Henry was bid on. St Kilda held pick 6 before the trade period started and we would have coveted that pick in exchange for Brad. In the second trade completed St Kilda traded out pick 6 & 59 for 12 & 18. Bugger.

St Kilda next move was to sent 12 & 18 to Port in exchange for pick 10, Dougal Howard and Paddy Ryder.

The next day the deal for Brad Hill was done. Hill and our future 3rd left the building and in came picks 10, 58, StK's future 2nd & 4th plus Blake Acres. We quickly passed on the two future picks for James Aish, 69(nice :)) and Collingwood's future 3rd. So by Wednesday evening, we had 10, 58, 69, Aish, Acres and Collingwood's 3rd pick in 2020 for the price of Brad Hill and our 3rd rd pick in the following year.

I'm not sure if you are aware but there is a lot of nothin' going on for long periods in trade week We were probably looking at our picks 7 and 10 and wondering/worrying/driving ourselves mad with the idea that some arsehole would bid on Henry at 8 or 9. Those two adverseries were Melbourne and Carlton. I imagine Melbourne got in our ear and were trying to convince us that those dogs over at Carlton really really liked Henry and that Melbourne could generously help us out, when that didn't work they probably told us- "screw it, we'll bid on him at 8 unless you agree to a deal."

We eventually decided we couldn't trust Carlton or Melbourne and so agreed to a deal with Melbourne for pick 8. Melbourne probably wanted our picks 10 and 22. We didn't want to hand over 22 as well as 10 to Melbourne, plus we needed to get some sweet late draft picks to pay for Henry. And so we made a deal with Adelaide. Out went pick 22 and the future 3rd from Collingwood we were holding and in came 28, 49 and Carlton's future 4th.

21st November-Finally we arrive at the big one. Fremantle receives PICK8. Melbourne receives PICK10, 28 and the future 4th. Melbourne would have been delighted with this and we are left wondering whether this trade was really necessary. I mean if Henry doesn't get bid on before 10 it wasn't even necessary, and we look like nervous nellies who blinked first.

Fast forward to the draft.

Gil's ,"Fremantle Pick 7 Hayden Young, Fremantle Pick 8 Caleb Serong, Carlton Pick 9 has bid on Liam Henry. Fremantle has matched the bid and with pick 9 selects Liam Henry. Carlton pick 10 has bid on Tom Green. GWS matches"

*2minutes later*

"Carlton has live traded pick 11 to Gold Coast."

Bigfooty Classic Post - " Worst trade ever? That's easy. Pick 16 and 46 for Stephen O'Reilly who played 12 games for the Blues. AND Carlton had to pay him illegally outside the cap. AND he blew the whistle on them. AND the Scum had to pay a fine. AND they got kicked out of the draft and had to recruit hacks. AND it meant that their multi-million investment in Denis Pagan was a waste because he had no players. Stephen O'Reilly for - Pick 16, pick 46, $1m fine, pick 1, 2, 17 and 33 in the 2003 draft, pick 1 in the 2003 PSD, 1st and 2nd round picks in the 2004 draft. Daylight second behind this one.
Our full trading in 2019 was overall our best work ever with the benefit of hindsight in my opinion. Not only how we ended up with Serong but we benefited from other trades too,.
Also, the main negative at the time of the draft was that we were unable to get the points required to match the Henry bid and that led to the 2021 going back from pick 7 to pick 10. Its early days but I think Chapman will turn out to be a gun so we lost nothing by the pick slipping and perhaps will benefit from taking Chapman if we were going to select someone else had the pick not slipped.

The trades.
For Brad Hill we received pick 10, a future second-round pick, a future fourth-round pick, pick No.58 and Blake Acres.

We received pick No.22, 79 and a future second-round selection and gave up Langdon, pick No.26 and a future fourth-round selection.

Then the Dockers dealt Pick 10, Pick 28 and a 2020 fourth-round pick to the Demons, in return for Pick 8.
Kysaiah Kropinyeri-Pickett (12), Trent Rivers (32) were the players Melbourne selected with the picks gained from us.

James Aish went to us along with pick 69 and a future third round draft selection for the St Kilda second rounder.

In summary the trade that made the 2019 trade period such a big win for us with the benefit of hindsight was obviously (as discussed here) that the move of the the Number 10 pick to pick 8 in a trade that seemed overs at the time (moving from 10 to 8 for the sake of a second and 2020 fourth rounder) ended up allowing us to to select Serong. The St Kilda trade also brought us Acres and the draft picks that got us both Aish (via trade). They both look like being very good long term players. The Langdon trade wasn't great in terms of what we got in return but it was better than nothing as he was going to join Melbourne via the preseason draft if we didnt make that trade.

While we weren't able to match the Henry bid we did enter the trade period without a third or fourth round pick so the trades we made were still enough for us to get enough points to match some of the points required for Henry as well using the traded Melbourne second rounder live in the draft to match part of the points for the Henry bid. Picket and Rivers will have to be absolute guns to make the Melbourne decision to trade a pick that ended up being Caleb Serong even close to even. Im sure Melbourne would take back this trade with the benefit of hindsight.

Quote Reply

Remove this Banner Ad

Back