Training 2021 Pre Season training watch

Remove this Banner Ad

Wingard left Port because he was sick of being put in the middle. He wants to be a forward.
Yes when asked he will spend some time in there, but forget about it being a large percentage of centre bounces.

This is absolutely not remotely true. It is the exact opposite of true.

Don’t get your hopes up on O’Brien , he will never do it in a game that matters. Some will take it as harsh and have a sook but it’s the truth.
You have the Lotto numbers, oh truth teller?

You'll find that in these games the best forwards and defenders have to be on opposite teams to give both the best contest. That would explain Scrimshaw.

Cousins surprises me a little. I see from the photos that Harry Morrison was in the blue team. All due respect to Harry but I'd picking Cuz first if I was in charge of team selection.

I tend to agree with how the teams are lined up in the usual practice matches but that didn’t seem to be the case today. Blue teams defence was Hartigan, Frost, Hardwick, Impey, Day and Jiath with orange having Hartley, Greaves, Scrimshaw and Grainger-Barras. Kinda looks like they have a back 6 settled.

The rest of the blue team looked very much like best 22 as well.

I’d have Cousins ahead of Morrison as well.

I’m sure it’s not 100% settled yet but interesting nonetheless.

I tend to agree with how the teams are lined up in the usual practice matches but that didn’t seem to be the case today. Blue teams defence was Hartigan, Frost, Hardwick, Impey, Day and Jiath with orange having Hartley, Greaves, Scrimshaw and Grainger-Barras. Kinda looks like they have a back 6 settled.

I'd be very, very disappointed if Scrimshaw & Greaves aren't starting 22.

good to hear Kosi, Downie, DGB and Moore looking like possible ins, i've been a critic of TOB, but good to see him putting together a good performance...

Finn is very much an inside mid, ignore the athletic testing results, he crashes in and feeds the ball out.

I think the club is trying to add another string to his bow. An he has the pace for the wing, that's why we keep hearing Finn is learning the running patterns.

Probably shows you how bad our defence is more so than how good TOB is!

Morrison always looks good in intra-club practice matches, and it never translates to home and away games

I hope we put in a few kids and keep them in for an extended run
Guys like DGB, Kozzie, Jeka, Brockman, Downie, Greaves, Morris, and surround them with the experienced guys

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Why not?

People do it to themselves with Lewis.

TOB has several seasons on Lewis. Nothing else needs to be said beyond that, but I will anyway.

Despite TOB playing the majority of season in the forward line last year he couldn't even manage a goal a game - 0.8 goals and 2.9 marks per game, at age 26. He's had 9 pre-seasons already and has shows no improvement since 2017. Every year we hear the same thing.

Both players have had a similar purple patch during their careers. Though the difference is one player did that whilst having played 20> and the other has played nearly 80 games.

If Lewis can't get a kick in 4 seasons' then you can bring him up in this conversion.

How is hartleigh behind kozzy?
Because Kosi is playing fwd and Hartley in defence.

I wouldnt read anything into Scrim and Greaves being in the possibles side. Same with Cuz.

It was a warm and sunny morning at waverley with a light cool breeze, great conditions for an intra-club game.

Orange V Blue with Blue being the A team and Orange being the B team with the exception of a few best 22 players players such as Greaves and Scrimshaw playing on the Orange team.

There was quite a crowd of onlookers which included the CEO, El Presidente, List manager, Footy Boss and a bunch of others, plus some of the players wives and girlfriends.

4 x 25 minute quarters with the clock being stopped at the appropriate times, 3 AFL umpires present, so this was pretty much match conditions and played as close to match intensity as you will see during pre-season.

Forwards for the blue team were Kosi, Lewis, TOB, Breust and Moore playing on Denver, Hartley, Greaves and Scrimshaw in defence for Orange.

Forwards for the orange team were Jeka, Brockman, Morris, Nash & Hanrahan playing on Hartigan, Frost, Hardwick, Day, Impey & CJ in defence for Blue.

The orange team got off to a flyer getting the first few goals through Jeka & Morris before Blue clawed their way back to be just a couple of points behind at qtr time. The blue team blew Orange away in the second qtr kicking 8 goals and from there it never got close score wise (final scores were something like 110 to 50), however Orange were far more competitive than the score would indicate.

I'll go though the players 1 by 1 with the blue team first:

Dylan Moore was close to Best On Ground for the Blue team. His workrate was incredible, running between the middle and the goals and impacting In both positions. He just seemed to be everywhere. Kicked at least 3 goals, maybe 4, laid tackles, did the in and under stuff, took some really great overhead grabs. He never faded out, was consistent across all four quarters.

Connor Downie switched between wing, mid and forward for the blue team and was excellent in all roles. He beat Maginess on the wing (more on maginess later) kicked a couple of goals as a forward and was not out of his depth as a mid. He has very much put himself forward for a spot in Rd 1.

Tom Philips was outstanding playing on the wing for the blue team. He racked up the possessions and always used the ball superbly. He kicks low and direct, can break and lay a tackle and is tough. Ran hard for all four quarters. Pick 64? Thanks Collingwood :tearsofjoy:

Shiels played a blinder for the blue team. Was probably the best inside mid on the ground although Worpel gave him a run for his money. Worps was also outstanding. Between the two of them nobody else had a look in with the clearances for much of the game.

JOM (in the blue) was playing more of an outside role including time on the wing. Everything he did was class. He does still have a burst of speed which he used effectively and his disposal was perfect today. Amazing how good his disposal is when he has a bit of space.

Chad was good, not as prominent today with Worps and Shiels dominating for the Blue team. I se ethat as a good thing - not having to reky in Chad to get all of the clearances.

Impey was electrifying off half back and another candidate for best on ground. In one piece of play he gathered a ground ball in a 1 v 3 contest at half back on the wing, put the jets on and took off down the wing right past where we were standing, took two running bounces then delivered to Lewis 30 metres away at half forward who kicked it perfectly to Moore in the forward pocket for a goal. He combined well with Will Day in the first half, the two of them breaking the lines over and over again.

Will Day was excellent in the first half. Along with Impey, they gave the Orange forwards very little chance to keep the ball in their fwd 50. Day & Impey together was an exhilarating combination running out of defence.

Kosi was imposing amd dangerous at half forward, playing more as the link man. He took a number of really difficult contested and overhead marks, and if couldn't mark he smashed the pack and created a contest. Kicked 1 goal that I know of. He is a big fella and it seems like he is really learning how to use his size to impact the contest as well as backing himself to take the grabs.

TOB is one of the stories of the day for me. Timmy Almost became Timmy Pretty Much Everything. Somebody must have told him we were playing Melbourne because he was marking everything that came his way. One grab contested marks, overhead, diving marks, EVERYTHING. Nailed Most of his set shots as well. At least 3 goals for TOB today. Imagine if he could produce that more often.

Breust was just doing what Breust does.

Burgoyne did what Burgoyne does.

Lewis had some outstanding moments today with good one grab contested marking. Conversion wasn't awesome but after today I feel like he is not far from really tearing it up. Maybe against the bulldogs next week???

McEvoy didn't ruck much. He actually spent time at CHF for Blue team and was on the bench a lot. I'm guessing he was on very limited minutes. Loved listening to him talk to all the boys on the bench and the coaches. Inspirational choice as captain in my opinion.

Ceglar did most of the ruck work for Blue and won fairly easily against Reeves and Brooksby. Reeves was not bad but watches his opponent too much rather than the ball which gave Ceglar the upper hand. Ceglar's work around the ground was also good.

Frosty in defence was solid. Hartigan was very good.

CJ was great again today. The only downer being the occasional horrendous turnover by foot that you know he is going to give, yet he really seems to be becoming a much more complete footballer. He is not just X factor anymore. I would still have him in the team.

Howe was good alternating between halfback and the middle. Got plenty of the ball and used it well. Laid some good hard tackles.

Orange Team:

Firstly I want to talk about Maginess. Not because he was one of the best for Orange but because i finally got a really good look at how he goes about it. What i realised today is that Finn is an inside mid. That is where he really excels and that is where his natural game is. For some reason i have been thinking of him as an outside mid and even a potential wingman. Downie towelled him up on the wing today but when Finn went into the guts he had a real impact. He was getting clearances in the middle but then running forward to get into position to receive the ball which gave multiple shots on goal. As the game went on and the weather got hotter, Finn's endurance elevated his performance. He had a 10 minute stint in the third quarter where was the dominant player for Orange playing as a center square mid. When he was moved back to the wing he faded out again.

Greaves (orange in the first half, Blue in the second) was outstanding again. Clean, decisive, evasive, unflustered, perfect disposal, tough.

Jeka was very busy as the key forward for Orange team. Could have had three goals by quarter time if he hadn't of slipped over twice. Considering the limited opportunities he had, he did very well. He worked extremely hard and always made a contest. Showed some more of that elite field kicking again today on two occasions which led to two goals. Took a couple of nice grabs. Like Lewis, I feel that Jeka is very close to having a massive game.

Brockman playing as a small forward for Orange was excellent again today. He even went down back in the second half for a while and was very good. He is composed and is an elite kick. Another one that i would pencil in for Rnd 1 or very early debut. Hanrahan out Brockman in???

Speaking of Hanrahan, Oli did as he often does and bobbed up for some scintillating moments, deft handballs and knock ons, evading three opposition players with ease, a few goal assists, but then disappears for long periods. Kicked at least one goal.

Morris started really well with the first goal of the game. he faded in and out a bit. He is a genuine excitement machine when he gets involved but doesn't stay consistently involved.

Hartley played really well as the KPD for Orange. Took a lot of intercept marks and generally used the ball really well when kicking out of defence. Was really vocal with encouraging and directing the younger guys.

Callow really showed something today. Very reliable pair of hands, high work rate, good disposal and very tough. He flew for a mark on the wing and got absolutely crunched when he was at full stretch. Took the wind right out of his sails but he got up and kept going straight away. Was a good target inside 50. Took some good grabs and kicked a couple I think. I like him and would be happy to add him to the list. I reckon he did his prospects no harm today.

Will Bravo was also very good. He was busy all day. Got plenty of it and used it well.

Denver was solid in defence but on this occasion TOB won the day. He did show his talent and skill on a number of occasions using his position and reading of the play to spoil and repel, but overall a quiet one for Denver.

Scrimshaw went off early but was solid. Pulled off a couple of kicks that required dead eye accuracy to break the play open.

The longer the game went, the better Cousins got. He and Finn really kept Orange in it in the last quarter. Cuz was winning clearances and bursting away, working well in tandem with Finn. Cuz worked hard all day. Solid performance overall.

I think there were approx 6 (maybe 8) Box Hill boys out there as well.

Non starters - Gunners, Sic, Pepper, Saunders, Seamus Mitchell, T Mitchell. Seamus did a lot of running.

Shout out to houdinhuddo with the binoculars helping to identify players.

Please keep this all in context. It was a very lopsided contest. I'm just reporting what I saw.

That's it from me.

Enjoy.
You lost me at.......

It was a warm and sunny morning at Waverley with a light cool breeze, great conditions for an intra-club game......

BlindOnlyBluebottlejellyfish-small.gif

Word at Waverley today was today’s teams were picked by the leadership group with feedback given as to why players were picked in one side or the other. With leading teams back involved at Hawthorn it sounded very much like the leading teams style of doing things.

Word at Waverley today was today’s teams were picked by the leadership group with feedback given as to why players were picked in one side or the other. With leading teams back involved at Hawthorn it sounded very much like the leading teams style of doing things.
How does leading teams work? Interesting to know if you don’t mind :)

How does leading teams work? Interesting to know if you don’t mind :)
Not exactly sure but a lot of 360 degree feedback and creating consistent habits. One of the guys today involved with the coaching group was from leading teams so they are fully engaged. Can’t remember if it was 08 or through the 3peat but been involved before.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back