Travel Popular Travel Destinations & Holidays You Didn't Like

Remove this Banner Ad

raskolnikov

Cancelled
10k Posts 30k Posts Wordler Werewolf Player Essendon Player Sponsor 2021 - Anthony McDonald-Tipungwuti and Archie Perkins Essendon Player Sponsor 2020 Essendon Player Sponsor 2019 Song Contest Winner - 5+ Rounds
Apr 1, 2002
Cap Coast
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Gold Coast Suns
Have you been anywhere else on the planet? You might be disapointed. Paris is the best tourist city there is.

Nope. St. Petersburg.

Great8

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 19, 2015
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Manchester United, Juventus,
Nope. St. Petersburg.
Amazing place and I’ll have to agree with you and that’s coming from a Paris lover.
I can’t say I dislike any major European city but have been lucky enough to have spent a lot of time over there.
When I was doing tours the general consensus from customers was that Rome was the most disliked major European city. Most loved the architecture and history but disliked the city itself, I have never had that issue with Rome.

Amazing place and I’ll have to agree with you and that’s coming from a Paris lover.
I can’t say I dislike any major European city but have been lucky enough to have spent a lot of time over there.
When I was doing tours the general consensus from customers was that Rome was the most disliked major European city. Most loved the architecture and history but disliked the city itself, I have never had that issue with Rome.

I hated Rome. Better Italian food in Lygon St (yes.. i know.. we were probs in a tourist trap), and i was sick as a dawg.

Latter probably didnt help matters.

Oh yeah and the locals are/were rude af.

This is an interesting topic. Always depends on your circumstances when visiting a place. Not that it's popular as a tourist destination, but one European city I didn't really enjoy or like was Brussels.

Tis isnt it.

It depends on lots of different things, just look at my previous post. Had i been well and not spitting up bile one night.. i might have a different opinion on Rome/Italy. But i was ******* miserable x 10. Was August too, so hot hot hot.

You can have good times in any city imho.

Detroit. Loved it. Went baseball, got my picture taken under the huge tiger, saw Stevie Wonder (free concert)... had a blast.

Jun 19, 2011
MCG
AFL Club
Hawthorn
why would you go into the outer suburbs? I dont go to broadmeadows in melbourne or the gang controlled suburbs in major american cities. Even Canberra has dodgy outer suburbs that you avoid.

And who stays at the bottom of the hill near Sacre-Coeur? Thats inner city but all major inner cities have some dodgy areas and the train stations down the bottom of the hill is a place even first timers know to avoid at night.

it seems like you have a problem with immigrant outer areas of paris and not actually paris.

this thread is about dodgy places to go on holidays. Not a discussion about the non touristy parts of the cities that are easily avoided. A city is a sh**hole if it has nothing to provide for people on holidays or Its unsafe in the touristy Areas or there are no attractions or limited culture. There is also lots of great neighbourhoods of paris that would be fantastic places to live.
Street art and markets.

nobbyiscool

Cancelled
WWE Board Goosed Sweet F.A Sikh Volunteers Charity Match Tasmanian Team NFL Fantasy Comp Champion Armchair Endzone Major Comp Champion
Aug 11, 2006
I hated Rome. Better Italian food in Lygon St (yes.. i know.. we were probs in a tourist trap), and i was sick as a dawg.

You mustn't have been to Lygon in a while :(

Another of Melbourne's depressing High St wastelands nowadays.

ash_1050

Premiership Player
Nov 21, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Melbourne Victory and Arsenal
I spent a week or so in Rome in December 2018 just prior to Christmas and found it to be a great city to explore. If you turn up in peak tourist season you have an entirely different experience, as it's like being stuck in a busy airport in terms of intensity.

Likewise whilst living in Krakow my favourite time of year was January (on smog free days) where you could walk through the main square at 2am and it's completely covered in snow with not another person in sight. Completely different experience to say mid July where it's heaving with people 24/7 and you're tripping over tourists taking selfies every few meters.

revo333

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 7, 2018
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
This is an interesting topic. Always depends on your circumstances when visiting a place. Not that it's popular as a tourist destination, but one European city I didn't really enjoy or like was Brussels.

I thought Brussels was just ok, a bit like Vienna there is potential to have a good time but it's all just a bit bland.

I would recommend Brussels though as it's a good base to see other parts of Belgium which I found more interesting and worth the train travel.

Hawk Dork

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts Zombie Lover BeanCoiNFT Investor
Feb 9, 2005
on the road to nowhere
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Hawks
It seems like you dont like city travel in europe for the most people like city to travel. To see amazing ancient cities.

the crowds are annoying in rome i agree. But you figure out ways to avoid it. Go walk up a hill. Most tourists dont seem to like hills in rome. get up early in the morning. The place is literally deserted even as late as 8am. the west side of the river also seemed a lot better most of the time and is just as stunning.

rome is my favourite city to take the wife. Paris my favourite city to take the kids.
Rome is my fave Paris is my wifes fave

(Log in to remove this ad.)

pepsi

Brownlow Medallist
Feb 4, 2008
Maribyrnong
AFL Club
Essendon
I spent a week or so in Rome in December 2018 just prior to Christmas and found it to be a great city to explore. If you turn up in peak tourist season you have an entirely different experience, as it's like being stuck in a busy airport in terms of intensity.

Likewise whilst living in Krakow my favourite time of year was January (on smog free days) where you could walk through the main square at 2am and it's completely covered in snow with not another person in sight. Completely different experience to say mid July where it's heaving with people 24/7 and you're tripping over tourists taking selfies every few meters.
I've spent time in Rome in May, late September and December. I've enjoyed it thoroughly each time and the weather, particularly in May and September, was nice. Crowds weren't outrageous either. It is a bit of a magical city for me.

Aug 18, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
I've spent time in Rome in May, late September and December. I've enjoyed it thoroughly each time and the weather, particularly in May and September, was nice. Crowds weren't outrageous either. It is a bit of a magical city for me.
Similar to me. I was there late May and while the weather was hot, it was sensational (I don't mind the heat). Busy in parts but still easy to get around and saw everything I wanted really easy.

Ate some great meals and some pretty average ones (which were still ok)

Sent from my CPH2005 using Tapatalk

DFWGrapher

Debutant
Mar 13, 2021
Dallas-Fort Worth, TX USA
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Cleveland in every sport
Las Vegas.

Granted, I went there alone, in July, had to limit my spending, and was there specifically for an event related to my sports autograph collecting projects so I was focused on that first. But being in the middle of the desert in the middle of summer, hobbling around on an ankle that I had re-sprained the day before wasn't exactly fun. Maybe If I had put aside a couple hundred dollars to get into some cheapo poker tournaments, and more time to see a show or two, or had my wife and/or friends with me it would have been more fun. But I just didn't see the appeal to it.

The event I was there for was good at least.

Sep 12, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
St Kilda
Las Vegas.

Granted, I went there alone, in July, had to limit my spending, and was there specifically for an event related to my sports autograph collecting projects so I was focused on that first. But being in the middle of the desert in the middle of summer, hobbling around on an ankle that I had re-sprained the day before wasn't exactly fun. Maybe If I had put aside a couple hundred dollars to get into some cheapo poker tournaments, and more time to see a show or two, or had my wife and/or friends with me it would have been more fun. But I just didn't see the appeal to it.

The event I was there for was good at least.

... yeh. Vegas was a hell of a lot of fun but you’ve literally avoided all the things Vegas is designed for. That would be like going to hawaii and avoiding the beach and the nature, or rome and avoiding the food and the history.

DFWGrapher

Debutant
Mar 13, 2021
Dallas-Fort Worth, TX USA
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Cleveland in every sport
... yeh. Vegas was a hell of a lot of fun but you’ve literally avoided all the things Vegas is designed for. That would be like going to hawaii and avoiding the beach and the nature, or rome and avoiding the food and the history.

Yeah I got to spend only one day on the Strip, hobbling around in pain on a 100-degree day (38 for those of you using a scale that makes more sense), so I suppose it would be like judging Paris based on a six-hour layover at Charles De Gaulle.

Feb 23, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
New York Jets

You were most likely.
I had family nearby that were effectively Rome locals, I had the best Italian meal I'd ever had at some table cloth laden side alley Trattoria. There was no menu, you went in, they start serving bread and pasta and then at the end we gave them some Euros.

Feb 23, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
New York Jets
We stayed sort just South of the Sacre-Coeur.

Just found everywhere to be dirty, beggers everywhere, people were very rude. The architecture in the tourist area was nice enough but as soon as we stepped out into the suburbs it got grim really quickly.

Went to a football match at Stade de France, boy oh boy you would not want to take your kids walking around that area after dark, jumkies on the street everywhere and was just seedy in general.

The only redeeming quality of Paris I found was the food, which admittedly was fantastic (next time you go to Paris I recommend heading to Le Petit Canard, was incredible)
It's all dependant on your experiences when there agreed.
I've been to Paris twice, from my experiences it was the worst of my recent Euro trip in terms of beggars, scams, dirtiness and feeling unsafe.
Just near Sacre-Coeur I was grabbed by a black man who tied one of those bracelets around my wrist, held my arm tight enough so I couldn't escape. I told he I wouldn't pay and he started to get aggressive and within seconds a handful of his mates are there. Only time overseas I've ever felt genuinely fearful of violence. 10 Euros made it go away.

It's not that I didn't enjoy Paris, but it's way overrated for mine.

Hawk Dork

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts Zombie Lover BeanCoiNFT Investor
Feb 9, 2005
on the road to nowhere
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Hawks
Italy is the best country in the world to take a partner for romance, culture And stunning villages. There is no place even as close to as spectacular.

spain is the poor mans Italy.
Agree with the first
Love Spain for being Spain though too

Remove this Banner Ad

Back