Opinion The 'Carlton related stuff that doesn't need it's own thread' thread Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
May 1, 2016
AFL Club
Carlton
Funny I remember Rats pushing forwards up high alot and left the forward line open for our three amigos to run into on the fast break/off side goals back then.
We beat Geelong one match with this game plan I remember when we were huge underdogs.
Betts, Garlett and Yarran killed it running into open goals.

PRETTY MUCH WHAT COACHES ARE TRYING TO SET UP NOW and there are more of this type of scores than ever.

I would love D.T. to have the courage to leave at least Harry or Levi and a small inside 50 at ALL TIMES.

This throws out the numbers at stoppages and defensive zone set ups they all play BUT with a FIT CRIPPA in there
not having to worry about outside play ,simply extracting..... We would be away more often than not IMO.

Only at quarter starts and after goals (for about 30 seconds) with 6/6/6 do we see how fast you can score getting a centre clearance to your forwards one on one.

COULD WIN US A FLAG IMO.......D.T. has hinted at a more attacking game plan.

Love to see it and if one team is successful with it others would follow and we would all love to see more open attacking games.
Won Sydney a flag in 2012.

Don't think exactly that is possible now. It's too tricky to set it up, and opposition who can control the fast break out of the back half of the ground can outnumber you in the front half, as you've essentially allowed them excess numbers behind the ball. If you recall, there were any number of games we lost because we had Eddie one out, Walks one out against 2-3 defenders on the fast break late in games, because opposition knew how were were structuring up.

Still, I like the idea of it, or a version of it.

BoundbyKreuze

Cancelled
Feb 9, 2020
AFL Club
Carlton
If we beat Richmond round 1. Or if we make the top 8 in 2021 I’ll be the first to post on the main board how good was silvagnis picks in 2015. How good was that late pick up Williamson. How good was the drafting of McGovern, plowman, Marchbank, pittonet, Martin, Gibbons, Kennedy, Newman and Setterfield. How many list managers has brought in that many best 22 players.

big footy is an extension of the AFL media. Loves the negative. Carlton had 5-6 very popular threads on the main board where EVERYONE sunk the boots in. I’m not humble. * em. I’ll be letting them all know about it.

teagueyubeauty

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 5, 2004
Somewhere there
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Liverpool, Yankees
Just to be clear, what are the new man on the mark rules mentioned?

Edit:Nevermind.

Best rule change ever, such a small change that will make a huge difference.

The AFL just need to hold their nerve on this one, will be a lot of 50’s early in the year and supporters will be losing their collective minds but they should focus their fury on the players not the umps for paying it. Players will adjust, eventually.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Garters

Club Legend
Apr 12, 2019
AFL Club
Carlton
Sure
There could be quite a bit of supplanting ( and I am really not sure if that is a word?) come Rd. 1......
Is a word. A transitive verb. Used in articulating getting from point a to b. A transition of sorts / replacing old with new etc.

You could have been a boring cnut and supplanted 'supplanting' with 'change' .....much prefer supplant. Good choice.

Jimmyonesix

Premiership Player
Jun 7, 2019
AFL Club
Carlton
Umpire will call "Stand!" when a player is on the mark. From that point on, the player cannot move in any direction (except to jump on the spot) until the player disposes of the ball or the umpire calls play on. No east/west movement to try and cut off the corridor, no moving back and then running at the player taking the kick to throw them off, no swapping with another player.

Get the intent, but its gonna make for some really weird situations where teams just have a player stay 3-4m ahead of the mark to avoid having the umpire call stand, and I can pretty well guarantee they'll call some horrendous 50m penalties early until public pressure forces them to adjust.
Is it really a rule change or just enforcing the rule that was always there . Man on the mark wasn't meant to move to umpire calls play on .... it will result in a few 50's when guy Manning mark when players shooting for goal also I think

That's the evolution I want to see, more tempo based on momentum of the game

Sounds like we need this guy holding the ball over his head, after all!

ybFMWzoj.jpg

:p

FitzroyBlueBagger

FitzroyBlueBagger
Sep 30, 2018
Fitzroy
AFL Club
Carlton
Is it really a rule change or just enforcing the rule that was always there . Man on the mark wasn't meant to move to umpire calls play on .... it will result in a few 50's when guy Manning mark when players shooting for goal also I think
It’s one of the most idiotic rules the AFL has now introduced, watch the confusion of misinterpretation that plays the part with determing bullshit free kicks....

FitzroyBlueBagger

FitzroyBlueBagger
Sep 30, 2018
Fitzroy
AFL Club
Carlton
Umpire would stand on mark then continue stepping backwards fully aware what the kickers line was, any deviation off the line was called play on..,
******* simples, no brainer..,

Aug 18, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
It’s one of the most idiotic rules the AFL has now introduced, watch the confusion of misinterpretation that plays the part with determing bullshit free kicks....
It's going to be like the protected zone 50m penalty, players getting pinged for not even interrupting play.

The worst idiotic rule is the extra 50m penalty for the guy with ball sprinting into the opposition after receiving a 50m penalty.

Sent from my CPH2005 using Tapatalk

OnceWeWereKings

Premiership Player
Oct 23, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
flawed but probably under-rated ultimately - never shirked, left it all out there, can't ask more than that...........
And to add a little context to these flaws, played in the period 2002 to 2012.
If you’re susceptible to outward displays of frustration then timing couldn’t have been more “perfect” God knows I was.
Poor bastard.

Coona Blues

Director of Coaching
Nov 3, 2011
Bundaberg, Qld
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Tasmania
It’s one of the most idiotic rules the AFL has now introduced, watch the confusion of misinterpretation that plays the part with determining bullshit free kicks....
Nah, it is back to the future. We oldies didn't contemplate lateral movement on the mark back in the day. Just so long as the umps are as quick to call play on as they are to call stand. The biggest thing will be the policing of defensive players covering the guys presenting for a get and go, in relation to entering the "protected zone". If commonsense, great, it a pedantic ump looks for every opportunity to penalise the defending team it could be a nightmare.

Earls Smother

Club Legend
Oct 4, 2019
AFL Club
Carlton

The AFL just need to hold their nerve on this one, will be a lot of 50’s early in the year and supporters will be losing their collective minds but they should focus their fury on the players not the umps for paying it. Players will adjust, eventually.

The AFL have done us a favour with the timing of this rule change.

We have the likes of Saad, Williams, Willo, Martin, Newman etc. streaming past as our receive and deliver players.

It's not long ago we would have had O'Shea, Mullett, Kerridge and Shaw involved in such chains.

Surely Harry at $34 is good value for the Coleman?

Coona Blues

Director of Coaching
Nov 3, 2011
Bundaberg, Qld
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Tasmania
The AFL have done us a favour with the timing of this rule change.

We have the likes of Saad, Williams, Willo, Martin, Newman etc. streaming past as our receive and deliver players.

It's not long ago we would have had O'Shea, Mullett, Kerridge and Shaw involved in such chains.

Surely Harry at $34 is good value for the Coleman?
Spot on....... $34? I will have to get some of that, just has to stay fit for a mega break out.

flawed but probably under-rated ultimately - never shirked, left it all out there, can't ask more than that...........

At my best mate's bucks party a few years back, we played a game and one of the teams called themselves 'The Bret Thornton Appreciation Society'.

Brilliant team name. Most of the boys at the party were mad Carlton supporters.

I can get you an application form to join, if you like.....?

At my best mate's bucks party a few years back, we played a game and one of the teams called themselves 'The Bret Thornton Appreciation Society'.

Brilliant team name. Most of the boys at the party were mad Carlton supporters.

I can get you an application form to join, if you like.....?

Rest of the bucks was a disaster for me. I tore my ACL in the first 30 mins playing bubble soccer!

At least I get to complain about my knee and call it 'an old football injury'... 😂

Triniboy

All Australian
Sep 26, 2011
Caribbean
AFL Club
Carlton

I’d like hear your reasons as to why it will make a “huge” difference.

Sector 7G

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 21, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
It's going to be like the protected zone 50m penalty, players getting pinged for not even interrupting play.

The worst idiotic rule is the extra 50m penalty for the guy with ball sprinting into the opposition after receiving a 50m penalty.

What will be interesting is to see is how you can shepherd the man on the mark. Should have to be 5m away from the man on the mark until play on is called. Infringe and your team loses the ball.

Aug 30, 2017
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton

The player just has to move a couple of steps laterally and they're fine.

The time wasting stuff was infuriating.... standing in the path of the player, standing over the ball so the player couldn't pick up the ball, the super slow pickup then ridiculously high, loopy pass to give the ball back...

Nov 13, 2015
In Transit
AFL Club
Carlton
Effectively takes the player out of play opening up room for runners to run past. Could help stretch zones by 15-20m.

In theory yes, but I can see it turning into a shitshow

There are other ways to open up the game, which won't lead to further inconsistencies in interpretation

HavUEvaSeenTheRain

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 20, 2006
AFL Club
Carlton
In theory yes, but I can see it turning into a shitshow

There are other ways to open up the game, which won't lead to further inconsistencies in interpretation
I hate the rule but I do think it will open up the game and it will probably be the most frustrating rule change yet.

Edit. Just imagine if Castagna lead you to the ball and marks just outside the 50 So you take the mark knowing he can’t score, (he would also be able to kick from a distance he could score from with no one on the mark) just to have Dusty stroll past you without you being able to do nothing to block his run and have a fairly simple shot for him on goal. Would be infuriating to watch.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back