Player Watch #45: Patrick Naish - Delisted

Remove this Banner Ad

I agree about the first point. Still competing with the same 17 other clubs all operating under similar restrictions.

On Naish though I prefer to give these things time before rushing to judgement. All he has done is proved he was not up to competing with the best wingers in the AFL in his 3rd year and first match for a year at the level as part of a midfield that got hammered and probably first time at the ground.

He may or may not survive selection this week, and I like you don’t think he acquitted himself well. But there are easier assignments for a young winger....
It's not about making a judgement on Patrick Naish, it's about picking the team for Richmond to win the next game. He's out.

They're giving a cup that looks like all the others. It's not an asterisk. We need to win and he needs to go, was f.e.e.b.l.e.
There were a couple of times that he took very short steps

It's not about making a judgement on Patrick Naish, it's about picking the team for Richmond to win the next game. He's out.

I agree, but part of making the call on him this week is considering whether he might be better for the run and whether the assignment may be more suitable for him. I would expect he would be much better for the run and his feet are big weapons so if we thought getting the ball into his hands here was more likely then he is worthy of consideration for retention because our delivery inside 50 has not been strong.

The selectors will be best positioned to know.

Tough game to start - no real footy for almost 5 months (only limited player training runs), and no games at all for 1 month.

I could understand if he were dropped but I'd like to see a few more before I wrote him off completely. He was pretty good in his games last season.

Think Stack, Cotch and RCD will come in this week and Naish will be one of the outs.

As harsh as it may be to drop a young kid after one game let’s bank the 4 points.

Players that can win their own contested ball are vital against the Doggies who have had it all over us in this area recently

Naish has been a deer in the headlights out there. Got a bit of Corey Ellis about him.

You'd like to give him another chance but we need to win these games, with 17 game season need everything we can get. Ross or Stack back in.

It's about picking your best side. Not a fan of dropping players after one week but in the context of the shortened season and every game important you can't really experiment to much. Thought he was lucky to get a gig last week when so many others are in front of him, but it was a wing position so worth a shot. He has to understand the position he is in, he won't be in any finals side, unlike Stack who should be, or Ross, RCD who might be.

Naish has been a deer in the headlights out there. Got a bit of Corey Ellis about him.

You'd like to give him another chance but we need to win these games, with 17 game season need everything we can get. Ross or Stack back in.

I didn't want to say it, but yes ... a bit of Corey Ellis Mark II.
Which doesn't bode well for us. As a few were quick to point out with Corey, I have this sickly feeling letting him go will come back to bite us big time ;)
Naish undoubtedly the same.

I didn't want to say it, but yes ... a bit of Corey Ellis Mark II.
Which doesn't bode well for us. As a few were quick to point out with Corey, I have this sickly feeling letting him go will come back to bite us big time ;)
Naish undoubtedly the same.
Naish is an extremely talented player that has no problem getting the ball in the VFL and uses it beautifully. The jump up is difficult for a very outside player who has little to no aggression in his game. Ellis' problem was that he was as slow as the Queen Mary, and turned like it. Read the game well and had no problem in the thick of it in the VFL but the jump up to AFL was too much for a slow player.

Until Naish gets bigger or more aggressive with tackling / body work /closing down space etc. he won't make it. Massive jump up when you are not even playing VFL, not really fair judging him just yet. Though DES was similar last week, just didn't commit the body to the contest because it doesn't come naturally. Doesn't mean it can't be learned though.

Seems a lot with the same opinion - needs to develop his contested game.

Nice skills will only get you do far, also not overly blessed with speed. Comparisons with Ellis aren’t too far off the mark.

Tough game to start - no real footy for almost 5 months (only limited player training runs), and no games at all for 1 month.

I could understand if he were dropped but I'd like to see a few more before I wrote him off completely. He was pretty good in his games last season.
Played on Kelly and he had a Sidebottom level game. I'd drop him because the dogs game is winnable with Cotch In and 2 other Ins. Egg is inexperienced as is Chol and Aarts and with the team still not in great form, it's too much to select a player of Naish experience.

Played on Kelly and he had a Sidebottom level game. I'd drop him because the dogs game is winnable with Cotch In and 2 other Ins. Egg is inexperienced as is Chol and Aarts and with the team still not in great form, it's too much to select a player of Naish experience.

I guess this is the selection dilemma. Players brought in from outside the team are going to have trouble adjusting to the tempo etc as they are just not getting the right sort of preparation in terms of lower level footy. Naish did. We saw McIntosh and Egg-Smith and even Chol improve sharply in their second matches after being elevated. So do you then omit Naish to bring in a replacement who might also have trouble adjusting, or do you give him another chance, hoping he may be greatly improved for the run? All things being equal I would opt for the latter policy, but it is a crucial match for us and if you placed a ball on the ground between Stack and Naish I know who I would be backing to come out with it. There is more to footy than that but that element might be vital against this strong Bulldogs midfield.

I guess this is the selection dilemma. Players brought in from outside the team are going to have trouble adjusting to the tempo etc as they are just not getting the right sort of preparation in terms of lower level footy. Naish did. We saw McIntosh and Egg-Smith and even Chol improve sharply in their second matches after being elevated. So do you then omit Naish to bring in a replacement who might also have trouble adjusting, or do you give him another chance, hoping he may be greatly improved for the run? All things being equal I would opt for the latter policy, but it is a crucial match for us and if you placed a ball on the ground between Stack and Naish I know who I would be backing to come out with it. There is more to footy than that but that element might be vital against this strong Bulldogs midfield.
You could argue that Stack has been out of the side for too long. Given his talent and he has the aggression, he was a more logical pick than Naish last week. Not saying he didn't warrant being dropped, but given Rioli comes back in after being dropped for a week, Stack has missed 4 games.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I feel sorry for Naish, get's his first call up against Geelong highly contested game, second call up GWS highly contested game.
FFS ease him into the side talk about a baptism of fire. How about they play him against Gold Coast, Freo etc

I think 2021 might be his last shot at it, on our list at least.

Where do you think he is at? I think he’s not physical enough. May suit another team’s style.

Very damaging kick both sides. I think for some teams he would accumulate plenty of disposals and do damage with them, but I don’t think that fits well into our system without being combined with the fierce defensive commitment of Houli, Short, McIntosh, etc.

I could see him improving but will be his last year with us most likely. Surprised if he wasn’t re-homed somewhere. But hope springs eternal so you never know.

Very damaging kick both sides. I think for some teams he would accumulate plenty of disposals and do damage with them, but I don’t think that fits well into our system without being combined with the fierce defensive commitment of Houli, Short, McIntosh, etc.

I could see him improving but will be his last year with us most likely. Surprised if he wasn’t re-homed somewhere. But hope springs eternal so you never know.

Nice one, MR, good observations. He does have a beautiful kick, but so did Corey Ellis (although that’s unfair as Naish is more physical than him but perhaps still not physical enough for the hallmarks of our game plan).

McIntosh is an excellent example. He’s a winger, he can run all day, but he’s also a fierce competitor who can put pressure on and stick a tackle. That’s an aspect which Brandon Ellis also got better at in his last 2-3 years with us.

Rhyan Mansell may go ahead of Naish within a 12 month period, too, I reckon. In his highlight reel he lands an awesome tackle, front on, just inside of the arc in defence as an opposition forward came streaming into 50. He’s got some campaigner about him.

I guess Naish’s prospects as a Richmond player long term would’ve been better if our game style wasn’t as physical. Just how things go. I’d be glad to see him succeed, there’s obviously belief in him, and a good guy around the club it seems.

Easy to forget how dominant he was in the VFL in 2019 (his second season). Was regularly racking up 25+ and multiple goals and was banging down the door. Didn't get an opportunity to do that last year and so his name falls to the back of the list for many. No reason why he can't get back to that this year. High hopes still.

Easy to forget how dominant he was in the VFL in 2019 (his second season). Was regularly racking up 25+ and multiple goals and was banging down the door. Didn't get an opportunity to do that last year and so his name falls to the back of the list for many. No reason why he can't get back to that this year. High hopes still.

Naish is far too weak for AFL level. We have seen him come in and get bumped around by bigger bodies. He is either soft or his lack of physical size causes him to be cautious around contests.

Either way, go look at recent training photos or even photos from last season. He has been at the club for years now and has not put on any size. He is still built like a day 1 18 year old draft pick.

I'm not sure why he can't put on weight but it's a big reason why he won't make it at AFL level. 2017 draft he was listed at 73kg, 2021 he's listed at 75kg at 6 foot...

Naish is far too weak for AFL level.
I'm not sure why he can't put on weight but it's a big reason why he won't make it at AFL level. 2017 draft he was listed at 73kg, 2021 he's listed at 75kg at 6 foot...
Reminds me of one of my worst Christmases...Santa did'nt make it and there was no presence!

Naish is far too weak for AFL level. We have seen him come in and get bumped around by bigger bodies. He is either soft or his lack of physical size causes him to be cautious around contests.

Either way, go look at recent training photos or even photos from last season. He has been at the club for years now and has not put on any size. He is still built like a day 1 18 year old draft pick.

I am one of a few that don't believe in size matters in footy. You can still be small and go in like a mad man possessed and win the ball.

Exhibit A Baker
Exhibit B Bolton
Exhibit C Edwards to an extent.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back