Toast #BringBackTheBars - Our Heritage, Our History, Our Right! Part 1

Assuming there were no obstacles, would you prefer the PB/Pylon guernsey to be our home colours?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Alex09

Senior List
May 15, 2020
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Port Adelaide Magpies
There is nothing easier or cheaper to do that will generate massive momentum and public pressure for change than the cheer squad going black and white only this year. Suddenly every man and his dog will know what is going on, even Joe public in vic who pays no attention will know. The club itself doesn't even need to get its hands dirty or do any of the heavy lifting. It would snowball quick from there. It's the domino that's just got to fall.

There is nothing easier or cheaper to do that will generate massive momentum and public pressure for change than the cheer squad going black and white only this year. Suddenly every man and his dog will know what is going on, even Joe public in vic who pays no attention will know. The club itself doesn't even need to get its hands dirty or do any of the heavy lifting. It would snowball quick from there. It's the domino that's just got to fall.
Furthering this I suggest we try to make our Round 4 Friday night game against Richmond a “Black and White Night”. It’s really the perfect opportunity, a Friday Night nationally broadcast game on 7 against the team with 100k members meaning a massive TV viewership. It’s also the same team we wore the bars against in 2014 which is arguably one of our best moments in the AFL, that was the game that made me decide I wanted to follow Port Adelaide and I haven’t looked back since. It’d be hard to do but if we could get as many people to eliminate teal from their colour palette we’d be onto a winner. Much like NBA teams do in the playoffs we could have the club help us by putting prison bar related shirts on every seat in the stadium, make sure the LED signage has as little teal as possible and making sure the cheer squad has banners that are fully black and white. The planning for it would be huge but if everyone got behind it ASAP we could make it happen and make it work.

Dec 20, 2015
South Australia
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Port Adelaide Magpies!
Furthering this I suggest we try to make our Round 4 Friday night game against Richmond a “Black and White Night”. It’s really the perfect opportunity, a Friday Night nationally broadcast game on 7 against the team with 100k members meaning a massive TV viewership. It’s also the same team we wore the bars against in 2014 which is arguably one of our best moments in the AFL, that was the game that made me decide I wanted to follow Port Adelaide and I haven’t looked back since. It’d be hard to do but if we could get as many people to eliminate teal from their colour palette we’d be onto a winner. Much like NBA teams do in the playoffs we could have the club help us by putting prison bar related shirts on every seat in the stadium, make sure the LED signage has as little teal as possible and making sure the cheer squad has banners that are fully black and white. The planning for it would be huge but if everyone got behind it ASAP we could make it happen and make it work.
very ambitious, but I like it!

Jun 7, 2015
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Can someone please explain to me why Saint Kilda are allowed to have black and white vertical stripes?
Especially if you get him to rotate clockwise 45 degrees.

1613696100316.png

Jun 7, 2015
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Might have something to do with the big red one on the right side of the guernsey?

So if you have something else on the jumper, say a black panel across the top third and a white horizontal bar, it doesn't count as being black and white vertical stripes?

Who makes the ******* rules anyway.

The prison bar fight is all about telling us to shut up and stay in our little pond, we are not a big fish like Collingwood, we are simply there to make up the numbers.

The VFL big knobs make all the ******* rules and change them to suit whatever they like, whenever they like.
You just sit at the kids table Port Adelaide where you belong and shut up.

Last edited:

Alex09

Senior List
May 15, 2020
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Port Adelaide Magpies
So if you have something else on the jumper, say a black panel across the top third and a white horizontal bar, it doesn't count as being black and white vertical stripes?

Who makes the ******* rules anyway.

The prison bar fight is all about telling us to shut up and stay in our little pond, we are not a big fish like Collingwood, we are simply there to make up the numbers. We, the VFL big knobs, make all the ******* rules and we will change them to suit whatever we like, whenever we like.
You just sit at the kids table Port Adelaide where you belong and shut up.

Total lack of respect

Oct 7, 2004
Adelaide, South Australia
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Im sure if Port presented a guernsey that was the same as St Kildas but with teal instead of red then no one would bat an eyelid

The arguement against is more about having 2 guersneys with just black and white. Maguire has said before that he'd have no issue if we introduced teal into the PBs (which is a s**t idea)

In sentiment i agree with you but presenting St Kildas guernsey in a counter argument is off the mark

Mar 10, 2014
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Man Utd, Celtic, Tanunda
Im sure if Port presented a guernsey that was the same as St Kildas but with teal instead of red then no one would bat an eyelid

The arguement against is more about having 2 guersneys with just black and white. Maguire has said before that he'd have no issue if we introduced teal into the PBs (which is a sh*t idea)

In sentiment i agree with you but presenting St Kildas guernsey in a counter argument is off the mark
Use the PBs but include our PA logo which has a teal outline to the shield.
There - teal incorporated.
Problem solved!

Alex09

Senior List
May 15, 2020
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Port Adelaide Magpies

The arguement against is more about having 2 guersneys with just black and white. Maguire has said before that he'd have no issue if we introduced teal into the PBs (which is a sh*t idea)

Geelong & Carlton.... Either 2 teams can have only the same colours on a particular jumper or not.

Jun 7, 2015
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Total lack of respect

Those four words could be interpreted about 10 different ways and I'm not going to guess which way is correct.

I'm sure if Port presented a guernsey that was the same as St Kildas but with teal instead of red then no one would bat an eyelid

The argument against is more about having 2 guernseys with just black and white. Maguire has said before that he'd have no issue if we introduced teal into the PBs (which is a sh*t idea)

In sentiment i agree with you but presenting St Kilda's guernsey in a counter argument is off the mark

I still dislike the image below but I'm curious as to whether it qualifies like St Kilda's does, or is it still not different enough.
And yeh I can't art, no need to tell me that :)

1613707961950.png

Last edited:
Apr 6, 2014
AFL Club
Port Adelaide

It is the black and white vertical stripes that stops us wearing it. McGuire doesn't mean to add teal to the PB, he means to replace black and white stripes with it. On a morning radio interview and on The Footy Show he commented that we can have silver and teal bars. Brian Cunningham said that we can have black and teal PB but the club did not want to do that, nor should they.

Apr 6, 2014
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Can someone please explain to me why Saint Kilda are allowed to have black and white vertical stripes?
Especially if you get him to rotate clockwise 45 degrees.

View attachment 1060995

It is not multiple black and white only stripes.
It has been a jumper in the competition decades before Port Adelaide's jumper became an issue.

McGuire had issues with the Giants' white G on the charcoal background as it looked black and white. Duncanson told me that McGuire took issue with the AFL about our white V and panel but the AFL refused to bow.

parano1a

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 2, 2003
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Melbourne Storm
Geelong & Carlton.... Either 2 teams can have only the same colours on a particular jumper or not.
1. Both Geelong and Carlton are foundation clubs, playing in the league since 1897
2. The designs and proportions of the colours are so different that there is zero clash when the two teams play each other.
Geelong is 60% white, 40% navy blue hoops
Carlton is 97% navy blue, 3% white monogram

1. Both Geelong and Carlton are foundation clubs, playing in the league since 1897
2. The designs and proportions of the colours are so different that there is zero clash when the two teams play each other.
Port’s PBs and Collingwood’s clash jumper proportions are pretty different too. I don’t want to put a number value cause like I don’t wanna spread misinformation but they’re pretty different.

Mar 10, 2014
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Man Utd, Celtic, Tanunda
Port’s PBs and Collingwood’s clash jumper proportions are pretty different too. I don’t want to put a number value cause like I don’t wanna spread misinformation but they’re pretty different.
The pre season trial between Port and Collies around 1990ish had no issues in differentiating between the two sides.

And in any event, we don't intend to play against Collingwood in the PBs, just other sides (primarily the Crows 😒🥺👎).

So there is no issue.

PowerBaz

Brownlow Medallist
Jun 13, 2014
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
This whole thing stays an issue due to the fact the AFL make it one... they can knock this on the head easy but don’t. I mean look at it, they rearranged a whole season on the fly yet can’t give us agreement on two games?
They don’t have the balls to stand up to Maguire, simple as that.

Alex09

Senior List
May 15, 2020
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Port Adelaide Magpies
Victorian heritage is important. 120 year old prison bar jumper isn't because not from the VFL...Also Port are denied marketing merchandise without teal frequently. Geelong and Carlton's merchandise is the same other than logos.

The EPL used to talk about the Big 4 which now is the Big 6. 3 of the original 4 all wear red shirts at home - Man U, Liverpool and Arsenal.

At AFL HQ they are shocked and appalled at such intransigence.

The EPL used to talk about the Big 4 which now is the Big 6. 3 of the original 4 all wear red shirts at home - Man U, Liverpool and Arsenal.

At AFL HQ they are shocked and appalled at such intransigence.

There's lots of examples of leagues banning clubs from wearing the same colours though.

Apr 6, 2014
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Victorian heritage is important. 120 year old prison bar jumper isn't because not from the VFL...Also Port are denied marketing merchandise without teal frequently. Geelong and Carlton's merchandise is the same other than logos.

Correct for official merch. I was told by a Port Store manager years ago that McGuire protested in our early years about it and got his way. Apparently right down to the percentage of white we are allowed on predominantly black merch, basically the white on the logo. The club just accepts it.

There's lots of examples of leagues banning clubs from wearing the same colours though.
Not the promotion and relegation leagues.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back