NFL 2021 Off-season and Free Agency Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

By "ball out" do you mean not be so bad as to not get benched?

So in other words , injury is pretty much the only thing stopping this from becoming a first. Eagles have done pretty well all things considered imo.

Sports Illustrated's Albert Breer reports the Bears never made a trade offer for Carson Wentz.
The Bears were certainly doing their homework on Wentz and likely were on the phone with Eagles GM Howie Roseman, but things never fully escalated. Breer reports the Colts were the only team actually in the mix for Wentz, who was traded for a 2021 third-round pick and a 2022 second-round pick that could turn into a first-rounder if Wentz plays more than 75% of the Colts' snaps next season. Chicago still has a major hole to fill at quarterback, and GM Ryan Pace doesn't have the luxury of waiting to find his guy next offseason. Expect the Bears to turn to the Marcus Mariota, Cam Newton, and Teddy Bridgewater tier of quarterbacks over the next month.
RELATED:
SOURCE: Albert Breer on Twitter
Feb 18, 2021, 1:23 PM ET

Teddy would be a really good get for Chicago, sell the farm 👍

You'd be better off trading for Darnold than any of them.
Definitely, but saw both posts together, if it had to be out of those four.

Colts overpaid. They could of easily got the deal done if they waited a few more days and the conditional pick could of become a hard 2nd.

Congrats colts. you gave up a 2022 first round pick for a mid tier QB and ended up outbidding yourself. No wonder why Irsay is an alcoholic and addict.

Very happy that my team stayed out of that disaster of a contract. 🤗

I agree with AD, reckon Colts overpaid, Roseman did pretty well when you look at the conditions of that conditional pick. Way more likely to become a first than not.

The only way it doesnt become a 1st if Wentz ends up on IR before hitting the 70% or before Colts qualify for the playoffs. and even then it will depend on the language in the trade. because IR is technically not active roster.

The Colts also tied Reich to Wentz if one fails they both go down. I feel bad for Santa because he is now on a sinking ship.
My opinion of the Colts next season has gone from AFC Contender if they got a decent QB to making up the numbers in the playoffs.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Very happy that my team stayed out of that disaster of a contract. 🤗

I agree with AD, reckon Colts overpaid, Roseman did pretty well when you look at the conditions of that conditional pick. Way more likely to become a first than not.
The contract is only a disaster for the Eagles. The Colts have him on the team for around $25 million a year for 4 years if they want. The only guaranteed portion of his contract is 2021 and therefore he could be cut with zero dead money from 2022 onwards.

Personally, I think the Colts overpaid with the potential 1st round pick next year, but if the pick turns out to be a 1st the Colts will probably be looking at keeping Wentz.

The contract is only a disaster for the Eagles. The Colts have him on the team for around $25 million a year for 4 years if they want. The only guaranteed portion of his contract is 2021 and therefore he could be cut with zero dead money from 2022 onwards.
Not quite - $15m of his 2022 salary becomes guaranteed on March 19

We also need to think about the fact that a bunch of teams were willing to trade a 1st round pick for Stafford. and none were for Wentz. and in the end only one team even wanted him. the League thinks he is washed or was never that good and had one lucky season.

Like half the league could change QB's this offseason through either draft, trade or FA and only 1 was willing to trade for Wentz.

Colts defense is probably good enough to carry them to a playoff birth even without stellar QB play.

Shouldn't have let the Eagles off the hook so easily. Should have made them sweat right up til that 10mil roster bonus was due.

Obviously they are talking in millions, but that is a fair bit higher than most people would have thought.

Personally I've always thought that the NFL/owners/NFLPA would have to negotiate an agreement to borrow from future earnings so that the cap was in the $185-190m range because much lower would devastate a majority of teams' rosters

Remove this Banner Ad

Back