Position 2021 Rucks

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
All this talk about Preuss going down. The big story for me is Marshall. Suddenly Paddy Ryder at R2 is tempting, with Flynn on the bench.

Ryder pretty consistently scored 90+ averages as a backup ruck. Surely he's their #1 while Marshall is out.

The way we used Ryder and Marshall last year was essentially, Ryder takes the majority of the CBAs for his excellent tap work, would do some throw ins around the ground but more limited and Marshall would take over to give Ryder a break. Marshall more suited to ball ups and throw ins around the ground as a contested type ruckman who finds the ball in the stoppage and wins his own clearances. The way I saw it, Ryder was playing as our #1 ruck, resting forward for a little bit and spending some time on the bench (usually 65-75% TOG over the course of the season). Marshall would generally start forward and rotate into the ruck around the ground to keep Ryder fresh, and return forward when Ryder had enough break to return to the middle (Marshall's TOG was in the 80-95% range, very little time on bench compared to Ryder due to spending most of his resting time up forward).

So while technically speaking I don't think Marshall missing lets Ryder become the #1 (as he kind of already was if you define it as the #1 centre bounce ruck), I can't see us wanting to use McKernan to chop out as much as Marshall did as he's a clearly inferior ruckman and gives away a lot of frees. So while McKernan will likely be chopping out, I think we will be trying to keep Ryder in the middle for as long as possible. And possibly more time resting forward while McKernan does some around-the-ground ruck-work rather than extended time on the bench due to reduced rotations?

Ignoring rounds 1-3 where the workings of the Ryder/Marshall combo wasn't fully developed and they were figuring out how to play with each other, Ryder averaged 104 after his return in round 7 including scores of 143, 142, 132, 128 and 115. Still one of the best tap rucks in the game and hasn't lost his leap. Does the man on the mark rule open up the game to be higher scoring (more 50s?), cause more centre bounces and directly play to Ryder's strengths as well? Possible.

I've got him at R2 btw. Think he's got some fire in the belly after being BOG in the Elimination Final last year but getting injured with a minute left, and is probably the perfect situation for him. After all these years of sharing ruck duties with other capable rucks he's back to being the genuine main man.

But he's also like 40 years old and he's an injury waiting to happen so maybe everyone should just stay away from him ;)

Was looking at Nank but he's best is avg is 98 in 2018 and his price is awkward. He wont generate much cash to sideways trade later to 1 of grundy or gawn and I cant see him avg more than 105+ anyways. He also has the odd stinker of a game with a score below 60.

I've never been a fan of deliberately picking someone to act as the VC loophole player. Chances are we'll all pick enough spuds who end up missing games anyway without deliberately adding another one into the mix.
Different strokes for different folks, I guess.
If I'm ponying up 1.4m for two hopefully captainable rucks, I want the flexibility to be able to maximize the point production, which a dedicated loop secures.
Understand others view it differently and focus on maximizing cash generation possibilities / or think that they can manage it via a captain option and loop on another line (MID, MID/FWD).
Not claiming any tactical superiority either way, it's a parameter like many others.

If Flynn plays he becomes a must at R3. Which side is best option for (C) loophole this year? Have not really had a good look.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That’s very thin forward cover though. Need plenty of dpp.
Yeah agreed. I did it with ROB a few years back and it gets a bit nerve-racking with only effectively 7 forwards.

Having said that the start of the season is probably the best time to do it as you'd think the rookies that start the season should be safe for a few weeks and flynn probably only needs to last 6 or 7 weeks as rucks score well.

Might be academic anyway as it sounds like Treacy is a chance to play.

That’s very thin forward cover though. Need plenty of dpp.
Providing you have flexible dpps it’s fine
I did it with Comben last year and it made me bulk cash
Flicked him forward for pittonet and Draper who both made bulk coin in the rucks allowing me to upgrade to who I wanted.

Flynn at r3 and treacy at f8 is the best set up and something we should all be looking at

Providing you have flexible dpps it’s fine
I did it with Comben last year and it made me bulk cash
Flicked him forward for pittonet and Draper who both made bulk coin in the rucks allowing me to upgrade to who I wanted.

Flynn at r3 and treacy at f8 is the best set up and something we should all be looking at
Treacy has 3 goals in their intraclub.

The way we used Ryder and Marshall last year was essentially, Ryder takes the majority of the CBAs for his excellent tap work, would do some throw ins around the ground but more limited and Marshall would take over to give Ryder a break. Marshall more suited to ball ups and throw ins around the ground as a contested type ruckman who finds the ball in the stoppage and wins his own clearances. The way I saw it, Ryder was playing as our #1 ruck, resting forward for a little bit and spending some time on the bench (usually 65-75% TOG over the course of the season). Marshall would generally start forward and rotate into the ruck around the ground to keep Ryder fresh, and return forward when Ryder had enough break to return to the middle (Marshall's TOG was in the 80-95% range, very little time on bench compared to Ryder due to spending most of his resting time up forward).

So while technically speaking I don't think Marshall missing lets Ryder become the #1 (as he kind of already was if you define it as the #1 centre bounce ruck), I can't see us wanting to use McKernan to chop out as much as Marshall did as he's a clearly inferior ruckman and gives away a lot of frees. So while McKernan will likely be chopping out, I think we will be trying to keep Ryder in the middle for as long as possible. And possibly more time resting forward while McKernan does some around-the-ground ruck-work rather than extended time on the bench due to reduced rotations?

Ignoring rounds 1-3 where the workings of the Ryder/Marshall combo wasn't fully developed and they were figuring out how to play with each other, Ryder averaged 104 after his return in round 7 including scores of 143, 142, 132, 128 and 115. Still one of the best tap rucks in the game and hasn't lost his leap. Does the man on the mark rule open up the game to be higher scoring (more 50s?), cause more centre bounces and directly play to Ryder's strengths as well? Possible.

I've got him at R2 btw. Think he's got some fire in the belly after being BOG in the Elimination Final last year but getting injured with a minute left, and is probably the perfect situation for him. After all these years of sharing ruck duties with other capable rucks he's back to being the genuine main man.

But he's also like 40 years old and he's an injury waiting to happen so maybe everyone should just stay away from him ;)
Great rundown, thanks. Didn't know he was being used as #1. Would agree though that McKernan is a spud so you'd expect Ryder's TOG to rise significantly. I reckon it's worth a punt anyway.

Treacy at F8? Then move him to R3 when flynn has mooed?
This is crazy talk. Just cull Flynn to a cheap ruck when the time arrives. Like Draper last year and (oh I can't remember now but there was someone the year before), an option will pop up during the season.

This is crazy talk. Just cull Flynn to a cheap ruck when the time arrives. Like Draper last year and (oh I can't remember now but there was someone the year before), an option will pop up during the season.
I did that twice last season I Had Pitt at R3 than traded him to Draper and finished my forward line because of it

Lol, not really. If Flynn gets to 400K+ (or 500K+ like ROB did two years ago) then it's one trade to upgrade to a forward. If you do it your way you have to Downgrade Flynn, then upgrade another player.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back