AFLW AFLW Season 5, Mega thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

She looks like a 16yr old girl built like a jockey i like the ones that don't come from netball or basketball and are 28 or older

Who cares what she looks like as long as she can play well?

I'm just wondering if it may be different for someone is undergoing training at the police academy or on placement as part of their training, versus a full-time member of the police force
I think it's the same for the ADF. Allen had to sit out a year when she joined the ADF, and now she is in, is back playing full time with GWS.

On moto g(6) plus using BigFooty.com mobile app

dazbroncos

Five emerging stars to watch from around the country

Victoria: Olivia Purcell - Geelong

The 20-year-old ball-magnet has set herself lofty standards right at the beginning of her AFLW career, finishing second in the Cats' best and fairest in 2019 then going one better to claim the award in 2020.

The Geelong product averaged 20 disposals per game across six matches last season, earning All-Australian honours, and it’s her hunger for the ball which continues to impress Cats coach Paul Hood.

"Her cleanliness at ground level, obviously as an inside midfielder it’s really important that when you get to the ball you take it with you as often as you can and Olivia is fantastic in that department," he said.

"She’s got really clean hands, she really narrows her focus when she approaches the footy, is very courageous, looks at that ball and goes and gets it.

"Liv is just so competitive and loves being involved in the game. She regularly plays at a consistent level and as a club, we’re looking forward to supporting her continued growth and emergence in the years to come."

Selected with pick No.14 in the 2018 NAB AFLW Draft, Purcell quickly impressed and has immersed herself in a young Geelong group striving for success.

"Liv is one of seven players we drafted in 2019 and in a few years' time, when they’re hitting physical maturity, certainly that group will be a force to be reckoned with and with five more draftees last year our future is looking pretty bright," Hood added.

The above article

Geelong Cats: Sophie Van De Heuvel urges Cats to take game on

YOUNG Geelong defender Sophie Van De Heuvel has called on her team to take the game on if it is to cause an upset against St Kilda tonight.

LACHIE YOUNG, Chief football writer, Geelong Advertiser

YOUNG Geelong defender Sophie Van De Heuvel has called on her team to take the game on if it is to cause an upset against St Kilda tonight.

The Cats have kicked just four goals in three games and Van De Heuvel said it was time to stop playing safe football.

“Obviously a few changes need to be made in terms of executing our fundamentals and taking a few risks so we are getting more goals on the scoreboard,” Van De Heuvel said.

“We will really look to give it a red hot crack to beat them. We have been taking a lot of safe options and that has cost us a lot of goals against other opposition.

“So we haven’t taken those risks yet and I think if we do that it will put us in a really good position to give our forwards the best scoring opportunities.”

The Cats would normally train on Tuesday and Thursday night but with a Friday night game this week switched their program to Monday and Wednesday sessions.

It means they have had limited opportunities to train as a whole squad, with the restrictions imposed across the state by the Victorian government only eased at midnight on Wednesday.

Van De Heuvel has instead been working closely with her defensive teammates and said she was grateful to be able to continue playing.

“We have been training in our line groups – mids, backs and forwards – and focusing on our fundamentals and executing those,” she said.

“I think it has been pretty difficult, and you would rather be training with the whole group, but in the world we are living in at the moment we are pretty fortunate to still be able to play the game we love and train with our mates.

“I have been based in the backline so it has been good to focus on one position and try to do that role really well.”

Tonight’s match is the first time a Geelong team has played St Kilda at Moorabbin for premiership points since 1991.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Think it's what the fans have been saying for a season or 2...

It's not like I hope this doesn't happen. It would certainly improve the contest for us fans if the team actually looked like kicking more than the odd goal every game.

Fact is, though, even if the coach were saying it, seeing is believing. And the evidence to the contrary regarding our approach is actually pretty compelling at this point.

It's not like I hope this doesn't happen. It would certainly improve the contest for us fans if the team actually looked like kicking more than the odd goal every game.

Fact is, though, even if the coach were saying it, seeing is believing.

Exactly. It's one thing to say you want to take the game on and be more attacking, it's another thing to actually do it.

Still, we live in hope.

Exactly. It's one thing to say you want to take the game on and be more attacking, it's another thing to actually do it.

Still, we live in hope.

That's right, winty.

In particular, I can almost guarantee that the coaching staff won't be quoting Sophie in their pre-game chat with the playing group. And, again, I do get that this is not a quick fix.

Fact is, though, the way we have set up to play our footy at the moment, we're only asking the opposition to have one decent scoring quarter and it's pretty much 'game over'. Which seems like just about the textbook definition of a 'low risk, low reward' game plan to me.

We seemed to play a more attacking style in the first quarter against the Pies, we were more willing to keep the ball moving forward, getting the ball into our forward line quicker than we normal see and not look for the perfect option with each disposal

I know we kinda ran out of gas that match, so it's not necessarily something we can go with and plan to play for 4 quarters, but would like to see us incorporate some of what we saw that match into our game

We seemed to play a more attacking style in the first quarter against the Pies, we were more willing to keep the ball moving forward, getting the ball into our forward line quicker than we normal see and not look for the perfect option with each disposal

I know we kinda ran out of gas that match, so it's not necessarily something we can go with and plan to play for 4 quarters, but would like to see us incorporate some of what we saw that match into our game

Would love us to mesh the attacking play of the 1st quarter against the Pies with the defensive, high pressure play we had in the 3rd quarter last week against the Doggies, and then extend it over 4 quarters.

Didn't realise Brad Johnson was our goal kicking coach - is he working with both our mens & womens teams?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back