The Bar - Beer, Wine & Spirits Discussion Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Finally got down to Running with Thieves yesterday. Casual vibe, staff were good, food was passable and the WC IPA wasn't the worst beer i've ever drunk.
My expectations weren't high after listening to other peoples reports but I enjoyed it and will go again.

Finally got down to Running with Thieves yesterday. Casual vibe, staff were good, food was passable and the WC IPA wasn't the worst beer i've ever drunk.
My expectations weren't high after listening to other peoples reports but I enjoyed it and will go again.

Have you been to La Cabana before? I'm pretty keen to head in there and get shirtfronted on tequila.

Also have you heard about this little Pirates Bar in Freo somewhere? Tiny little venue, gotta be lined up for opening time or you won't get in type thing

Have you been to La Cabana before? I'm pretty keen to head in there and get shirtfronted on tequila.

Also have you heard about this little Pirates Bar in Freo somewhere? Tiny little venue, gotta be lined up for opening time or you won't get in type thing
Darling Darling is the pirate bar, lots of old marine stuff stuff hanging on the walls, It's a cool spot but yeah it's small and the drink offerings are equally small. I've been a couple of times for a nostalgic Swan Draught. The bartender is good value and always up for a chat.
I've been to La Cabana a couple of times also, good tacos, the corn tentacles are very moreish and they have a pretty good range of crafties on tap. The waitresses are of the young Freo boho variety which keeps things happy. Went past the other day and it was heaving, not sure they were sticking to the semi lockdown numbers.

La Cabana is fantasic. Amazing tequila range and they do some ripper tequila cocktails. Tacos equally as good and cheap

Stupid question but does La Cabana have an outdoor smoking area? I've wanted to go down on a friday night with my mates and have some tacos and s**t faced off tequilla. Only problem is that theres a couple smokers in our group and that sorta dictates the night a bit.

Stupid question but does La Cabana have an outdoor smoking area? I've wanted to go down on a friday night with my mates and have some tacos and sh*t faced off tequilla. Only problem is that theres a couple smokers in our group and that sorta dictates the night a bit.
Has a large outdoor area but don't think you can smoke where food is being served.

My diet over the holidays have been sh*te so i've been on the seltzers. White claw sucks and there's not too many I enjoy. Good Tides raspberry is pretty nice tho. The idea it self is good but i feel like the hype will die down cause they basically charge craftbeer prices for a product thats around 1 std drink and is basically water.

On boxing day I really wanted to get on as I was bloated af and wanted to drink but just couldn't come around to paying 40 bucks for two 4 packs that won't get me drunk.
I've tried a few for similar reasons to everyone else. Wasn't a fan of the Moon Dog Fizzer range, all tasted way too fake for me. The only one I've found that I like so far is 'Ray' in watermelon and mint. Ray is the range that Hop Nation has released.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's alright. Most of them struggle for mouth feel. I was annoyed at it or them or me because I wanted to be drinking actual beer. I need to give it another chance now I know it's not, with some fresh perspective. I'd say it's no worse than Throwback IPA, which is probably a decent pump up as it's got much less alcohol in it.
Have you tried the Mornington Free? (https://mpbrew.com.au/product/mornington-free/).

Decent for what it is and price point not ridiculous, I think a slab is c. $45 but I'm also pretty close to the brewery so not sure if it would be more expensive on the West Coast.

Have you tried the Mornington Free? (https://mpbrew.com.au/product/mornington-free/).

Decent for what it is and price point not ridiculous, I think a slab is c. $45 but I'm also pretty close to the brewery so not sure if it would be more expensive on the West Coast.

I haven't, actually. Don't see much MP at my little local these days. Used to get into them a bit back in the day!

I haven't, actually. Don't see much MP at my little local these days. Used to get into them a bit back in the day!
I used to froth the squid series from Mornington. Spoke to one of the guys at mane liquor and they said they were coming back later this year. Said something about new supply chain or something hence the drop off in stock seen around the traps

I used to froth the squid series from Mornington. Spoke to one of the guys at mane liquor and they said they were coming back later this year. Said something about new supply chain or something hence the drop off in stock seen around the traps
Yeah, Squid Supremacy was a favourite of mine and good to hear it's coming back. They got bought out by Tribe Brewing, but recently Matt bought it back from them and is continuing to brew beer there under the Mornington banner, I think just the specialty ranges, but also expanding into a distillery (https://craftypint.com/news/2297/Mornington_Peninsula_s_New_Old_Brewery).

Trying the new Boston sour now. Pretty decent but not hugely different in flavour from their other 3 available.
I feel like their sours are always passable but just lack any sort of punch. Can’t put my finger on it. Maybe not enough fruit? Or just not sour enough? Either way never have a bad one from them but they never blow me away

I got over sour beers. Didn't mind a few of them in years prior, then had some quite bad examples from the place you'd least expect it - Belgium - really acetic, nail polish type sour beers, which were a distant cry from the pinnacle of my sour beer journey (Fou Founne on tap in Melbourne).

Stopped trying to drink them just because others were, and returned to my roots - robust dark beers and blow yer head off hoppy numbers. Also don't mind a pastry stout nowadays.

I got over sour beers. Didn't mind a few of them in years prior, then had some quite bad examples from the place you'd least expect it - Belgium - really acetic, nail polish type sour beers, which were a distant cry from the pinnacle of my sour beer journey (Fou Founne on tap in Melbourne).

Stopped trying to drink them just because others were, and returned to my roots - robust dark beers and blow yer head off hoppy numbers. Also don't mind a pastry stout nowadays.

They can be very hit and miss, probably with more misses. The Gweilo Rainbow Sherbet is elite IMO.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back