Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 2, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Bushrangers
That umpire has to be investigated for match fixing after that non decision.
I know that pure numbers don't tell the full story, but here are the numbers in Saints games so far this season. So fair to say they usually get a decent run.

Rd 1 vs Bulldogs - 26-6 Saints' favour.
Rd 2 vs North - 22-10 Saints' favour
Rd 3 vs Blues - 17-18 Blues' favour
Rd 4 vs Cats - 16-9 Saints' favour

At the game. It’s still obvious that we’re trying to play a short chipping game without the skills to pull it off.

Any time we run or kick long it looks much more dangerous.

Umpiring is a joke

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
I'm watching from home - commentators said the Saints were flooding in the first half?

Did they play a similar style in the second half or has it been more open?

Long kicking and surprise surprise the score board is starting to tick over. Imagine trying to play a short precision game with the least talented list in the competition. Coaching panel must be full of absolute geniuses.

Some of that is pretty harsh and inaccurate - and calling the team the least talented list in the competition is just crap

The Saints were flooding in the first half which makes long kicks pretty ineffective and a useless option. The game has definitely opened up in the second half which makes it easier to go the long kick option

Feb 21, 2010
Sydney
AFL Club
Geelong
The scoreboard was kind to us.

St.Kilda kicked 7 goals tonight. We have kicked 7 for the year.

Another game where our score has been more than doubled, this time to an injury hit team.

We would have to be one of the most uncompetitive sport's teams in the country.

Feb 12, 2017
AFL Club
Geelong
The scoreboard was kind to us.

St.Kilda kicked 7 goals tonight. We have kicked 7 for the year.

Another game where our score has been more than doubled, this time to an injury hit team.

We would have to be one of the most uncompetitive sport's teams in the country.
The fact the Saints joined the comp a year after us is further insult to injury. Such a clear gulf between the two teams already.

As funny as it sounds, we could be off the bottom this time tomorrow if Freo smash the Suns.

Will probably be the first time in my life I'll be barracking for a Freo team.

Last year the score was 80 def 10, with the Suns coming off a win over the Eagles

Wouldn't be surprised to see a similar scoreline this time round if not even more one sided - the current highest score is held by the Dogs who back in 2018 when they defeated the Blues 86 to 13 (Dogs kicked 14 points, so even without their goals they win)

Thinking Freo will give that a push tomorrow, maybe even push the 100 point mark

They are definitely the team I wouldn't want to face this season

goyoucatters

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 31, 2008
Brisbane
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Stockport County, Chicago Cubs
It may well be true that we are not the least talented list in the comp. I haven't watched all the teams play at this point. But, going on tonight, we're clearly not even close to the Saints' level of talent. Who are basically a middling team.

I still think the game plan is pretty awful. But the truth is we have a seriously unskilled line-up and a palpable lack of hardness across the group. You can talk about 'young players' and the patience that is supposed to go with all that. But their younger group seemed so much more committed and determined than our girls again tonight.

We are getting embarrassed week in and week out, and look like we'd already be reasonably happy for the season to be over. To me, the team is barely even treading water while most of our opponents seem to be going ahead at a rate of knots. Given how demoralising it is to watch, I can only imagine how most of the players are feeling. I can't help but think that it will be a minor miracle to hold on to the entire group of players we'd like to retain at the end of the season. Seriously, if you don't love the hoops, who's really going to be desperate to hang around to be part of this set-up?

We look light years off it to me. Which is not where you want to be at the virtual mid-point of your third season.

Now you've said that, we'll probably play them next week.
Are we permitted to fly to WA, otherwise they may have to fly here - maybe we can organise mechanical failure so that the plane can't take off and it's called a draw 😁

goyoucatters

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 31, 2008
Brisbane
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Leading possession winners

Webster 24
A.McDonald 21
Purcell 19
M.McDonald 18
Garner 10
Van De Heuvel 10
O'Connor 10

Says it all there, really. The first four on that list are AFLW quality. The gulf to virtually the entire remainder of the team is just as stark as these numbers would suggest.

The fact the Saints joined the comp a year after us is further insult to injury. Such a clear gulf between the two teams already.

I think they were just better coached tonight. We started off well and were moving the ball quicker than we have in past weeks and should've been a goal or two up at quarter time but for poor finishing, but once the Saints started flooding back in the 2nd quarter, we had no idea how to move the ball forward and reverted to the slow, disjointed crap we have shown all season.

goyoucatters

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 31, 2008
Brisbane
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
I think they were just better coached tonight. We started off well and were moving the ball quicker than we have in past weeks and should've been a goal or two up at quarter time but for poor finishing, but once the Saints started flooding back in the 2nd quarter, we had no idea how to move the ball forward and reverted to the slow, disjointed crap we have shown all season.

Wasn't only that, though, Got slaughtered around the ball the longer it went. Just not strong enough or hard enough for long enough. I'll admit they had some bigger bodies in some important roles. But even their slight players were straight-lining the football and taking possession a whole lot more capably than virtually all of our team. As well as streaking away from us after a turnover with a pace and intensity we didn't come close to matching.

In the same way that people have talked about mismatches in the AFL appearing to be 'men against boys', that looked like women against girls on many occasions out there tonight.

Wasn't only that, though, Got slaughtered around the ball the longer it went. Just not strong enough or hard enough for long enough. I'll admit they had some bigger bodies in some important roles. But even their slight players were straight-lining the football and taking possession a whole lot more capably than virtually all of our team.

In the same way that people have talked about mismatches in the AFL appearing to be 'men against boys', that looked like women against girls on many occasions out there tonight.

The bolded is our biggest problem at the moment IMO. We have good patches, but they're only for a quarter or so, and generally when we are on top we don't put it on the scoreboard, so all the work we put in is generally for nothing. More often than not too, the opposition gets a goal totally against the run of play during those good patches, which is doubly annoying.

goyoucatters

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 31, 2008
Brisbane
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
The bolded is our biggest problem at the moment IMO. We have good patches, but they're only for a quarter or so, and generally when we are on top we don't put it on the scoreboard, so all the work we put in is generally for nothing. More often than not too, the opposition gets a goal totally against the run of play during those good patches, which is doubly annoying.

Saw this farce play out again tonight with the runaway goal to Florence Griffith-Greiser in the first quarter. After making all the play for virtually the whole quarter, what an absolute joke to get caught out like that.

:mad:

volcboy

Club Legend
Jul 15, 2005
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
I'm watching from home - commentators said the Saints were flooding in the first half?

Did they play a similar style in the second half or has it been more open?

I’ve been to 3 of the 4 games this year, and StK was not flooding back any more than our other opponents.

From what I can see, all teams run back to set up a defensive zone, but the slow speed of our ball movement (the chip mark game style) allows our opposition to set up too easily.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Our good first quarter resulted in only 2 scoring shots but we had many more chances
- Higgins with the chance for a set shot, but instead tried a kick to McWilliams; kick falls short and it's a missed opportunity
- Barber with a set shot after a quick kick in from Garner. I was directly behind Barbers shot on goal last week, it looked good, she kicked through the ball but it feel short; tonight she was a bit closer to goal but seemed to get too close to the player on the mark and it wasn't a good shot
- McWilliams with a set shot late in the quarter, kick goes across goal but Rocky takes the mark; maybe could have snapped around the corner or gone the check side, but she tried the drop punt from a tight angle & missed
- though that kinda lead to the next play as we interrupted the resulting kick in and Boyd ended up with an opportunity on goal but her snap missed the lot

4 clear opportunities, plus there were a couple of other 50/50 passages of play, I remember one where Garner nearly ended up with a mark which would have been a shot on goal

St Kilda kicked 3.6 in their dominant 3rd quarter, something we had chances to do in the first but couldn't take advantage of territory dominance - that's the frustration

Sep 15, 2005
AFL Club
Geelong
They are really trying but their overall skill level (Cats) it's strikingly inferior to the rest of the competition.
I have to be honest, having watched quite a bit of the women's footy over the last few years, the quality is quickly ascending. Some of the teams such as Fremantle for example, their attack on the footy is simply brilliant. The ladies seem to be excellent at following the rules as well. Tackling, no head high contact, they are impressive.

I can imagine this game in another 20 years time, I think we are going to be witnessing one of the best female sporting codes in the world.

Didn't know you followed the women at all; do you hold out much hope for our girls prospects?

We were terrible tonight; our best score for the season but it was close to our worst loss, too - we had a couple of really strong patches in the first half, but heads dropped, we came out cold in the 2nd, and the last quarter was as woeful as just about anything I've seen dished up in the hoops.

I think back to that game in 2004 where the men's team lost to the Saints in the pre-season comp GF (at a time when any friggin' cup would have been something for a Geelong supporter - 41 years and counting at that stage), and Paul Chapman came out and controversially stated that we were nontheless ''better'' than them.
Does the women's team - still very inexperienced - have that kind of talent and confidence lurking on their list? 2004. We were 12th the previous year, yet Chappy saw the potential in that side.

We're well off the pace at the moment, and yet I hopefully see some parallels in that there is a talented young core of players learning together on the job - the results aren't going their way at the moment, and the squad will need some augmenting before it is capable of challenging the better teams, but I don't think things are hopeless for them despite a discouraging 0-4 formline and a loss to a more callow franchise.

Sep 15, 2005
AFL Club
Geelong
Our good first quarter resulted in only 2 scoring shots but we had many more chances
- Higgins with the chance for a set shot, but instead tried a kick to McWilliams; kick falls short and it's a missed opportunity
- Barber with a set shot after a quick kick in from Garner. I was directly behind Barbers shot on goal last week, it looked good, she kicked through the ball but it feel short; tonight she was a bit closer to goal but seemed to get too close to the player on the mark and it wasn't a good shot
- McWilliams with a set shot late in the quarter, kick goes across goal but Rocky takes the mark; maybe could have snapped around the corner or gone the check side, but she tried the drop punt from a tight angle & missed
- though that kinda lead to the next play as we interrupted the resulting kick in and Boyd ended up with an opportunity on goal but her snap missed the lot

4 clear opportunities, plus there were a couple of other 50/50 passages of play, I remember one where Garner nearly ended up with a mark which would have been a shot on goal

St Kilda kicked 3.6 in their dominant 3rd quarter, something we had chances to do in the first but couldn't take advantage of territory dominance - that's the frustration

really accurate summation of where we let St Kilda off the hook early - they grew in confidence in front of their home crowd and we slowly but surely dropped off.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back