Unsolved The Family Murders

Remove this Banner Ad

The Who's Who List

Out of Sight - The Untold Story of Adelaide's Gay Hate Murders

The Cases of Forensic Pathologist Colin Manock

Use this thread below to lodge media, maps and photos for quick reference.

Last edited:

I was searching for a thread that seems to have disappeared so I'll ask this question here instead as it's relevant:

The AFP recently announced they're looking into using DNA to try and identify all the unidentified remains located across Australia, apparently there's about 500 sets of unidentified remains across the country, although unlike missing persons cases I can't find any evidence of a central database listing where any of the remains were found and any information that could help identify them (such as sex, estimated age, estimated time period of death).

Which brings me onto my main point. We know BVE would often target street kids and we know some estimates say there's probably 150-200 victims who were abducted and raped by the Family. But I'm curious has there ever been any solid investigation into the possibility that more victims might have been murdered and we just don't know about them because either a) their bodies were never found or b) unlike the victims that were identified they didn't have anyone searching for them?

I'd assume if any bodies had been found that were estimated to have died at any time from the late 1970s to 1983 around Adelaide that had similar mutilation to NM or PS that we would've heard about it by now. But a lot of the injuries wouldn't show up on a skeleton - the typical cause of death from anal injuries, the drugs in their system, ML's surgery for instance. Or some things like RK's head injury might be indistinguishable from any other homicide without the other evidence. So there could be a chance if a body remained undiscovered for long enough and didn't have major mutilation you wouldn't necessarily be able to tell they were a victim of the Family.

I don't know how you'd find out exactly but what do other people think? Is there a chance there might be some unidentified remains that fit the time period and the rough victim profile of the Family (i.e. male aged 14-25, died some time between maybe 1976 and 1983)? And if so, would it be reasonable to suggest they might be an unknown victim? Especially if they end up being identified and it's found they ran away from home or lived rough?

This is a really good point and I have thought about this myself . It has kept me up at night sometimes thinking about it . There is a question I ask myself a lot ( what if ) two small words with very big meanings . I had to stop myself from asking this as I was going nuts thinking about it. Thank you for this and making this point .

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

At the end of the day (your wife will know) we are all Yugoslav before the non-sense..A serb wife, you have your hands full.Plumb brandy all round.lol.

She says she is Yugoslavian before Serb but can speak Serb . Yes she loves to control me but at the same time let’s me do my thing . I am a lucky man to have her .

I have found out that Aunty and uncle in Serb family’s is a term of respect . It could mean there cousins , family friends and so on . Godfather is another term of respect . My wife is trying to explain it to me but it is hard to understand exactly unless you are Serb . So even if gambo was Darkos godfather it may be as a term of respect not Darkos real godfather as we would know it .

I grew up in the Western suburbs of Adelaide & use to sit next to PS cousin in Maths class. The Family Murders are almost synonymous of growing up during that era, with the high-profile abduction/murder of RK making it feel personal & very close to home for most Adelaidians.

Its easy to get lost in all the intricacies & innuendo surrounding the case, but my basic summary on the evidence which is publicly known is as follows:

- Adelaide was still a very conservative town in the 70s & 80s

- The LGBT community in that period was just emerging out of the shadows, a tiny community within a small community

- I believe the main perpetrators who had direct involvement in the abduction & murders, consisted of no more then 6 individuals THE INNER CLIQUE

- I believe there was an OUTER CLIQUE who had intimate knowledge of what was taking place who legally would be classed as ”Accessory to the Fact”, but not directly involved.

- Thirdly, it is not hard to conceive that rumours would have circulated like wild fire within such a small community as the LGBT crowd. Maybe more people wanted to talk, but given social stigmas at the time chose to remain silent.

- Lastly, it would be foolish to dismiss that certain high political figures did not have some form of knowledge of the crimes which were occurring to young adolescent males at the time.

I grew up in the Western suburbs of Adelaide & use to sit next to PS cousin in Maths class. The Family Murders are almost synonymous of growing up during that era, with the high-profile abduction/murder of RK making it feel personal & very close to home for most Adelaidians.

Its easy to get lost in all the intricacies & innuendo surrounding the case, but my basic summary on the evidence which is publicly known is as follows:

- Adelaide was still a very conservative town in the 70s & 80s

- The LGBT community in that period was just emerging out of the shadows, a tiny community within a small community

- I believe the main perpetrators who had direct involvement in the abduction & murders, consisted of no more then 6 individuals THE INNER CLIQUE

- I believe there was an OUTER CLIQUE who had intimate knowledge of what was taking place who legally would be classed as ”Accessory to the Fact”, but not directly involved.

- Thirdly, it is not hard to conceive that rumours would have circulated like wild fire within such a small community as the LGBT crowd. Maybe more people wanted to talk, but given social stigmas at the time chose to remain silent.

- Lastly, it would be foolish to dismiss that certain high political figures did not have some form of knowledge of the crimes which were occurring to young adolescent males at the time.

All this is true and what we know . Brown who’s boyfriend was one of the killers Woodard lived next door to don Dunston but understand that dose not make the ex premier a part of this . Knowing someone dose not make you a party to what they do . There is a lot of ball s**t around this case and as I say you need wings to stay above it . Well done for your thoughts on it all and posting them .

All this is true and what we know . Brown who’s boyfriend was one of the killers Woodard lived next door to don Dunston but understand that dose not make the ex premier a part of this . Knowing someone dose not make you a party to what they do . There is a lot of ball sh*t around this case and as I say you need wings to stay above it . Well done for your thoughts on it all and posting them .

It takes just one compromising photo or video to buy a friend for life...just ask Jeffrey Epstein.

I’m not implicating any one individual, but it just makes sense to me that the reason why we will likely never experience closure on these horrible turn of events, is not because of a lack of available evidence, but because some secrets are better left unsaid.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Do you think Daniel Sheppard will ever be included in the list?

I'd say it's unlikely just due to the timing of his disappearance and what we know. All indicators are that von Einem is at the centre of all that happened and that since his arrest the remainder of them have kept their noses relatively clean. Even looking at rape charges that came later (against Brown and Woodards) they were for historic crimes that occurred around the same time. Unless somebody's heard differently I haven't heard any mention of any of the other suspects continuing to offend after von Einem's arrest. I think most of them would probably consider it in their best interests to stay on the level anyway. The last thing they'd want to do after barely escaping arrest is give police an excuse to look over their properties closely again, lest they find something they missed last time

I had a good chat to Phil last night and went over a lost of things . Alan’s clothes that he was found in were not his . None of us knew who’s they were and as b was about the same size I thought it had to have been his . In that part I was wrong as the clothes Alan had on were Phil’s dress clothes . Phil and I have not talked from the time dad died in 1990 and he never told mom about this . So there you all go Alan was not in his clothes but was wearing the clothes he had on when taken . They were Phil’s

Here is same more for you too . After giving evidence that the committal Phil sat with us . You can all ask him who he sat next too . He also remembered what b had said about the meeting in Rundle mull and even said were in the mall it took place . He also remembered that b stated that bve said “ someone talked to the cops “ . One thing Phil also said was he was with me when I went to dr shop during the committal hearing I did not remember him being there at the time but he even told me about the shop so he was with me that day . So as for me so-called getting names off the net and the person saying that is the lier .

Phil giving evidence:
I was not in the committal hearing when Phil gave evidence . Why ??? I was with bob O’Brien making a statement about g place as I was the only one who remembered him . Alan had not hung around place for years . The last time they hung out was when Alan was about 10 years old . Gary was a bit of a square and Alan was a little bit of a rebel so Alan just stopped hanging out with him . That’s why none of the rest of the family remembered him .

Dose anyone know if Gary place is still alive??? I have been told he is dead too but it was from the same people who told me b was dead and I don’t trust them now .

I popped over to see Phil today . He is the same as I remember him just older . I showed him how to get on this site and now has the app . I hope to see him post here and maybe help you all with same of the stuff you want to know about darko .

New case file podcast on the family out today

I haven’t listened yet. This site is one of the most up to date and comprehensive sources available but we aren’t a source for this podcast. Will be interesting listening to this.

I popped over to see Phil today . He is the same as I remember him just older . I showed him how to get on this site and now has the app . I hope to see him post here and maybe help you all with same of the stuff you want to know about darko .

Excellent thanks for organising that Charlie. While on the subject of Darko I cannot find any records of Kastelan's living in Queenstown in 1979 only Alberton. Most probably just not listed on the records I have reviewed.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back