O'Brien
O'Meara
Phillips
Scrimshaw
Shiels
Wingard
Worpel

Leaves 3 spots.

Based on preseason would love to see CJ rewarded.

Also hope DGB plays.

One spot left. Howe, Nash, Morrison, Hanrahan the most likely.

Morris a bit of an unknown.

Magginess seems off the top level.

Or a bolter in Kosi, Jeka (but we feel too tall if one of them plays with Lewis TOB and 2 x rucks) Downie or Brockman.

Reality is we will have 2 or 3 or the top 19 injured so we will see one of our tested depth and hopefully a bolter debut.

Tell you what though we get 6 or so injuries and will be a loonnngggg year.

I think any team will struggle if they have 6 of starting 22 injured.
Yeah but my team is with no scully patton gunston Sicily Mitchell which is 5 missing which is a given and then saying if we get another 6 we are scraping the barrell. Nearly every player on the list might get a game.

Melbourne were Melbourne for years because they were continuously poorly coached, had a crap culture on/off the field and didn't have any real leadership on the field.
Goodwins still there though.

I want to give Nash one more chance to be the biggest small pressure forward in the competition.

Same, I can't forget his form to end the 2018 season. He was really good and laid some of the most bone crunching tackles I've seen in a while.

Fingers crossed he's able to put it together before we give up.

rei154

Premiership Player
Jun 13, 2019
AFL Club
Hawthorn
From round 18 last year we will see a minimum of four changes in Poppy, Stratton, Frawley, Gunston, and I predict we'll also be missing Mitchell and potentially one other.
From round 17 last year (I think is more accurate- less retiring players playing) we will be making a minimum of three changes (though I think again probably four or five with Mitchell/Howe/Maginness probable outs too).
I'm really excited to see what it looks like for us come round one!
Only 30 days till we get to see our first line up for points in 2021

Mrzohs

Premiership Player
Oct 9, 2014
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Having Hartigan, BB, Hardwick and greaves in backline also makes us pretty slow with a lot riding on Impey and scrim to get rebound going.
Re the defence and speed we will be fine it's how it will be this yr with Mcevoy playing back and Sicily out.
Frost and Jars are two of the quickest players in the comp
in there respected positions! Scrim is a prime mover, and you will see Day play alot across the back and the wing.
Other options for more speed is Cj good enough to force Dimma or Geaves out? not for mine.

Last edited:
Re the defence and speed we will be fine it just how it will be this yr. With Mcevoy playing back and Sicily out.
Frost and Jars are two of the quickest players in the comp
in there respected positions! Scrim is a prime mover, and you will see Day play alot across the back and the wing.
Other options for more speed is Cj good enough to force Dimma or Geaves out? not for mine.

I've had concerns about CJ for a while, same as Sam Mitchell outlined the other day - he is capable of these great athletic feats, but unfortunately his mistakes directly cost us goals and he made a few of them. As always you hope they work on these things, but I think the costly mistakes were a byproduct of using his strengths and I'm not sure how much that can be trained out.

Feb 5, 2018
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Chicago Blackhawks Melb Renegades
Going to do this after each practice game. Almost as a rolling hypothetical round 1 side based on pre-season game form. Taking into consideration reports from our favourite Bigfooty posters, coach interviews and Hawthorn website reviews.

Following Intra-club:

B. Hardwick Hartigan Frost
HB. Impey McEvoy Scrimshaw
C. Phillips Worpel Morrison
HF. Moore TOB Burgoyne
F. Breust Lewis Wingard

R. Ceglar O'Meara Shiels
IC. Day Greaves Downie DGB

E. Cousins CJ Kosi Brockman

Feb 5, 2018
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Blackhawk42 - I don’t have the time to do this and will be interested in yours. Can I ask a tiny favor? Can you quote your previous sides when you update them? I’ll be interested in watching the changes over time.

No worries. This was from last week before our most recent intra-club.

B. Hardwick Hartigan Greaves
HB. Scrimshaw McEvoy Impey
C: Phillips Worpel Shiels
HF: Moore TOB Burgoyne
F. Breust Lewis Nash
R. Ceglar O'Meara Wingard

IC: Day Frost Cousins DGB

After intra-club:
IN: Morrison Downie
OUT: Nash Cousins

May 10, 2007
Bonbeach
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Arsenal Fc Portland Trailblazers
I reckon there are 19 definates.

Breust
Burgoyne
Ceglar
Cousins

Day
Frost
Greaves
Hardwick
Hartigan
Impey
Lewis (on notice for preseason games)
McEvoy
Moore
O'Brien

O'Meara
Phillips
Scrimshaw
Shiels
Wingard
Worpel

Leaves 3 spots.

Also hope DGB plays.

Or a bolter in Kosi, Jeka (but we feel too tall if one of them plays with Lewis TOB and 2 x rucks) Downie or Brockman.

Reality is we will have 2 or 3 or the top 19 injured so we will see one of our tested depth and hopefully a bolter debut.

If we had a really strong team the 7 I have bolded would be far from certainties.

I'm curious to see Moore though after all the hype he is getting on here.

Greaves I liked the look of him late last year so curious to see him.

Mar 23, 2007
Where Premiership dreams are made...
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Man U, Canucks and 49ers
I reckon there are 19 definates.

Breust
Burgoyne
Ceglar
Cousins
Day
Frost
Greaves
Hardwick
Hartigan
Impey
Lewis (on notice for preseason games)
McEvoy
Moore
O'Brien
O'Meara
Phillips
Scrimshaw
Shiels
Wingard
Worpel

Leaves 3 spots.

Also hope DGB plays.

I don't think Greaves, Moore, Cousins or Lewis are definites.

Aug 31, 2008
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Nuggets
Greaves and Moore need to be in the side. Greaves especially. Moore, seemingly, deserves a spot based on his pre-season to date.

I will be disappointed if guys like Hanrahan/Nash and Morrison keep Moore and Greaves out of the side. (Unless they have turned into class players of course)

Last edited:
Greaves and Moore need to be in the side. Greaves especially. Moore, seemingly, deserves a spot based on his pre-season to date.

I will be disappointed if guys like Hanrahan/Nash and Morrison keep Moore and Greaves out of the side. (Unless they have turned into class players of course)
I'm not doing another Best 22 for the sake of it but of interest to me is who Morrison would/will keep out of the side*?

I wouldn't mind so much if it was Downie/Finn/CJ in the opening week/s whilst they're at BHH learning their craft, but if it were Greaves or Moore I'd spew.

*Morrison isn't in my Best 22 but he's usually in Clarko's.

Mrzohs

Premiership Player
Oct 9, 2014
AFL Club
Hawthorn
The Great news is there is quite a few guys knocking on the door this year. Previous seasons our bottom 6 has been a weakness and we have been smashed in rotations. The Draftes and a few guys who have been on the fringe are fit and ready.

Rookies - Dgb,Brockman,Downie - All look to be in contention for a call up early. Going to say the first 2 will play.
Fringe - Cousins,Greaves,Moore,Morrison,Kosi,Cj,Jeka - Pressing Claims solid pre season fit and ready. expecting 3+ to play.
Recruits - Hartigan,Phillips. - Both locks at this stage. Like for Like Chip & Smith replacements.

Feb 5, 2018
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Greaves is a definite.

From all reports Moore is ripping it up. Lets see how he goes in the 2 pre season games, but I'd say he's got a spot in the team for r1 barring a serious dip in performance.

Dyl may be given the benefit of the doubt if he doesn't stand out in the practice games. High half forward is literally referred to as 'death valley' by the players in the AFL. Coaches are also aware that it isn't a position that can be judged on a small sample size. Some games it falls your way, and other games it constantly just goes over your head.

Moore has an ability to hit the scoreboard and his work rate is so high that I believe it will serve him as an individual and us a team well if that spot is his come round 1.

TylerDurden

Mischief. Mayhem. Soap
Mar 5, 2007
Lou's Tavern
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Dyl may be given the benefit of the doubt if he doesn't stand out in the practice games. High half forward is literally referred to as 'death valley' by the players in the AFL. Coaches are also aware that it isn't a position that can be judged on a small sample size. Some games it falls your way, and other games it constantly just goes over your head.

Moore has an ability to hit the scoreboard and his work rate is so high that I believe it will serve him as an individual and us a team well if that spot is his come round 1.
Yep. I'm on him too.

Mrzohs

Premiership Player
Oct 9, 2014
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Sad news Wingard & Scrimshaw might join Mitchell,Gunners&Sicily on the sidelines I thought we could cover the trio rd 1.

FB:Frost Hartigan Hardwick
HB:Impey Mcevoy Day
W: Phillips Worpel Morrison
HF:Bruest Tob Moore
FF:Burgoyne Lewis Brockman
R:Ceglar Omeara Cousins
B: Shiels,Downie,Dgb,Kosi/Jeka

Last edited:

TylerDurden

Mischief. Mayhem. Soap
Mar 5, 2007
Lou's Tavern
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Sad news Wingard & Scrimshaw might join Mitchell,Gunners&Sicily on the sidelines I thought we could cover the trio rd 1.

FB:Frost Hartigan Hardwick
HB:Impey Mcevoy Day
W: Phillips Worpel Morrison
HF:Bruest Tob Moore
FF:Burgoyne Lewis Brockman
R:Ceglar Omeara Cousins
B: Shiels,Downey,Dgb,Kosi/Jeka
Greaves.

Back