Oppo Camp Jaidyn Stephenson (Traded to Nth Melb. 2020)

Should This Thread Be Kept Open?

• Yes

Votes: 30 54.5%
  • No

Votes: 25 45.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Whether it’s wrong or right time will tell I guess. Your opinion may be different but that doesn’t make you right.

In terms of how I came to that. Stevo was a highly rated junior who performed very well in big games. He came to Collingwood and had a stand out first year. 2nd year was also very good until the betting scandal, he was kicking more goals than year 1.

His 3rd year was a write off for various reasons but not for a lack of talent

Daics was a 50 something draft pick who had a slow start to his career. He had moments in the first 3 seasons and franked his hard work by establishing a best 22 spot in his 4th year. That season was excellent and he looks set for a good career. Looks a solid B grader going forward but wouldn’t be a surprise if he can become an A grader

Stevo, if he does the work, would be a shock if he isn’t a strong A grader.

That’s where I see them. More questions on Stevo but more upside
Stevo is a one trick pony forward.
Daicos is a multi faceted mid.

No comparison

MagicGnome97

All Australian
Sep 6, 2018
AFL Club
Collingwood
We traded Daicos?
stephenson is far more talented than daicos, 1 year or so ago me and others were suggesting that the clock was ticking for daicos and that if he wasnt a father son he might've been at serious risk of being delisted. a big preseason and him turning it around massively has changed things and now he seems on a good trajectory but stevo has multiple AA potential mate.

Jul 3, 2001
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Heat, Victory, Man Utd, Redskins
I still can't believe that we traded the most talented player on our list aged 23 and under for peanuts. fecks sake.

Open your mind - what would make the club trade someone with his talent.

In fact all the guys we got rid of, remember we chose them specifically and for a reason.

I’m not going to s**t on them or speculate what that exactly is, but there is a reason. And it’s not just cap.

MagicGnome97

All Australian
Sep 6, 2018
AFL Club
Collingwood
Open your mind - what would make the club trade someone with his talent.

In fact all the guys we got rid of, remember we chose them specifically and for a reason.

I’m not going to sh*t on them or speculate what that exactly is, but there is a reason. And it’s not just cap.
that would be the only fair justification, that its not for footballing reasons. even for cap reasons you'd never get rid of a player like that. does anyone know what exactly it could be though?

Nov 25, 2009
AFL Club
Collingwood
FWIW i loved Stevo’s X factor. I know people who know him and his family personally and even they were blindsided by the trade. But the fact that he is 2-3 months in at north and its still the same deficiencies he was dealing with at the pies leads me to believe that there was an element of truth to what we were spinning. As it stands I’ll back our team in for letting him go, and I’ll definitely take the cap space.. which will be vital in the next 24 months when we are chasing free agents

Billys Back

Cancelled
Feb 5, 2020
AFL Club
Collingwood
stephenson is far more talented than daicos, 1 year or so ago me and others were suggesting that the clock was ticking for daicos and that if he wasnt a father son he might've been at serious risk of being delisted. a big preseason and him turning it around massively has changed things and now he seems on a good trajectory but stevo has multiple AA potential mate.

AA players aren’t frightened to get hurt. AA don’t have seasons where they can’t even average 10 disposals a game. Did you watch him play in 2020??? He was terrible. He fumbled, he was brushed away like a mosquito, he was afraid to put his body in.
If we kept him another year not only would we have had many disgruntled players, but probably would have been lucky to get a 3rd round pick in 2021 for him.

AA talent is in hot demand. It’s been said many times already, that even if he was t AA potential, he would at least have had half a dozen clubs after him. It’s a sad reality for many of his cheerleaders here that the worst club in the game were the only ones that showed interest and even then it cost them a 2nd round pick. Yeah AA potential alright. A pity no club believes it and I’m sure they are in a far better position to make the judgement.

I bet if Daicos had a look around today he would have multiple clubs after him.

THATSGOLD

Brownlow Medallist
10k Posts
Sep 21, 2005
the G.. home of the pies!
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
collingwood
FWIW i loved Stevo’s X factor. I know people who know him and his family personally and even they were blindsided by the trade. But the fact that he is 2-3 months in at north and its still the same deficiencies he was dealing with at the pies leads me to believe that there was an element of truth to what we were spinning. As it stands I’ll back our team in for letting him go, and I’ll definitely take the cap space.. which will be vital in the next 24 months when we are chasing free agents
He’ll either stop caring or he’ll pull his finger out. He’s the type of player that doesn’t need much training would come out and kick 5 goals. Had he stayed at Collingwood he would be a star but at north maybe just a good player.

Whether it’s wrong or right time will tell I guess. Your opinion may be different but that doesn’t make you right.

In terms of how I came to that. Stevo was a highly rated junior who performed very well in big games. He came to Collingwood and had a stand out first year. 2nd year was also very good until the betting scandal, he was kicking more goals than year 1.

Daics was a 50 something draft pick who had a slow start to his career. He had moments in the first 3 seasons and franked his hard work by establishing a best 22 spot in his 4th year. That season was excellent and he looks set for a good career. Looks a solid B grader going forward but wouldn’t be a surprise if he can become an A grader

Couldn't agree with you more. Can't believe that people are arguing with you. Don't think they would be if it was Daicos who had've ended up in blue and white.

ToonAussie

Senior List
Aug 16, 2009
mount eliza
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
NUFC: f'stonblues: DukeMBB:Warriors

Couldn't agree with you more. Can't believe that people are arguing with you. Don't think they would be if it was Daicos who had've ended up in blue and white.

Whilst most / all of us were upset at least at first with the Stevo loss, scuttlebut and our own eyes let us believe that there were reasons that he went.

But to say that we would be less upset at losing Josh D now, is just wrong.

Aug 3, 2020
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Boston Celtics, Liverpool
Given Daicos' presence on the 22under22, which has historically been filled to the brim with players who go on to make AA teams, I'd say Daicos is even closer to reaching his AA potential than Stephenson.

May 25, 2006
Beach
AFL Club
Collingwood
he was very good in 2019 in the half a season that he played, no need to make things up. 1 poor season and hes gone.

And missing in the second half due to a betting incident. Forgiveable as a standalone incident but it turns out it wasnt the only behavioural issue that he presented the club with.

On average over the whole of 2019 and 2020 it was indifferent to s**t.

Mr Cannons

All Australian
Nov 16, 2005
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
San Antonio
If aa’s were handed out for first quarter efforts then Stepho would be captain.
Daicos has more poise is more evasive under pressure and is a good kick left or right, he’s someone you can depend on with ball in hand and he’s improving every game.
Stepho is going backwards every game, is scared of his own shadow, has one trick that has been worked out and is dick head off the field.
Calls of multiple aa’s and generational player in my eyes are absurd, did you not see his 2020? Players that are projected to be that good from some never play like that.

If aa’s were handed out for first quarter efforts then Stepho would be captain.
Daicos has more poise is more evasive under pressure and is a good kick left or right, he’s someone you can depend on with ball in hand and he’s improving every game.
Stepho is going backwards every game, is scared of his own shadow, has one trick that has been worked out and is dick head off the field.
Calls of multiple aa’s and generational player in my eyes are absurd, did you not see his 2020? Players that are projected to be that good from some never play like that.
We might be talking about talent differently. To me Stepho can do things that Daicos can't. He can take a specky. He can torp a 60 metre goal. He can create seperation in the blink of an eye.

Agree that Daicos has more poise and is currently better, but if Stepho reaches his potential, that won't last.

Aug 3, 2020
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
We might be talking about talent differently. To me Stepho can do things that Daicos can't. He can take a specky. He can torp a 60 metre goal. He can create seperation in the blink of an eye.

Agree that Daicos has more poise and is currently better, but if Stepho reaches his potential, that won't last.
I've never seen Stepho dance through a pack or find space like Daicos does, which is just as valuable as those highlight-reel things you mentioned of Stepho

I've never seen Stepho dance through a pack or find space like Daicos does, which is just as valuable as those highlight-reel things you mentioned of Stepho
I've seen Callum do that more than either of them.

I'd bet on Daicos to have a better career, but if Stepho puts his potential together, he's going to be one out of the box. He'll tear games to shreds. I don't see that with Daicos. What holds them both in good stead above all else is how quickly they think.

Aug 3, 2020
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
I've seen Callum do that more than either of them.

I'd bet on Daicos to have a better career, but if Stepho puts his potential together, he's going to be one out of the box. He'll tear games to shreds. I don't see that with Daicos. What holds them both in good stead above all else is how quickly they think.
Have to agree to disagree

Billys Back

Cancelled
Feb 5, 2020
AFL Club
Collingwood

He is definitely a great sheepdog....AA level.

Billys Back

Cancelled
Feb 5, 2020
AFL Club
Collingwood

You didn’t see some of the goals Daicos kicked under pressure??? I saw Stephenson miss many easy set shot goals. He kicks one torpedo goal and all of a sudden he can do miraculous things. Take a look at the Daicos goals in traffic and tell me again how many more amazing things Stephenson can do.

You can’t learn poise and you can’t buy courage. Pendles can’t take a speccy but he has poise. I wonder what’s more important......?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back