Training Apples' & Jen's Training Thread 2021 (Latest report #3590)

Remove this Banner Ad

I arrived near 6pm. Sitting across the road, you can hear Sharni's voice from the womens captains' run training session. Sun was still quite warm. Thankfully I found some shade with some tables and chairs as part of the hospitality they have outside the cafe to relax.
Started chatting to Tom Browne, before my friends arrived.
The women finished up around 7, then it was time to wait until the boys came out and started.

There was no warm up. No drills. They came out for a grudge match between the blacks and white. Or it seems, city v country.

All the injured played except Chugg, Adams and Reef. Not sure whats up with Chugg though. But otherwise, a very fit list.

Howe's first match sim, and there is nothing wrong with him at all. I wonder if there ever was this pre-season. Just continued on from where he left off pre-injury.

There was some fill in VFL players including Wellings.

Briskey was wearing #39.

Went full game-length. Didn't finish til 10:30.

Had a chat to Henry's parents. Nice folks they are. I feel confident Henry is a good kid and we won't have any trouble with him at all.

Player notes:

Draftees:
+ Henry: Prior to this game, I wasn't sure he was ready for an early debut. I take that back. He kicked about 3 goals, nice mark and athletic. I think he could be ready now.

+ McCreery: Very good set shot at goal and accurate. Good pressure. Is ready.

+ Macrae: Did pretty well for himself.

+ Ginnivan, slotted through a goal. Was lively.

+ Poulter: Has a bit of speed. Good signs.

+ McMahon: Showed some good signs, clearly needs some muscle on him.

Briskey: Had a pretty good game. Very good athleticism and aerially.

Senior players:

+ Daicos, Kelly, De Goey did one half, as they then were managed. De Goey rolled his ankle, but no stress, he is all good.

+ Daicos was very very lively in the firstn quarter, had 3 goals. Moved so well.
+ Rantall and Bianco, did pretty well. Bianco's ball use from the middle is something to drool over. Not many like it.
+ Quaynor and Noble did wonderfully, Noble was on the wing in some aspects. Also slotted through a couple goals.
+ Grundy looks to be back to his best. You can just feel he is about to have a monsterous year. Opposition watch out.
+ Cameron impressive with his marking and goal abiliity.
+ Lynch also faired well.
+ Jamie was dangerous inside 50, also some stints in the midfield.
+ Tyler brown, looks to be have a great 2021. Come on physically. Looks like he belongs.
+ Pendles did the entire session. I don't think his age is catching up to him at all. Playing like he is 25.
+ Wilson and Murphy rotated between backline/wing. I wish they keep Murphy on the wing, he'd struggle to get a game in the backline. Its rock solid.
+ Cal Brown looked dominant. His tackling, his running, his kicking hitting targets. He looks good.
+ Ruscoe looks to even have a better 2021. Has developed more physically this summer.
+ Sidebottom dominating in the middle and on the wing.
+ Thomas had a very strong session. Looks to be aiming for a good year.
+ Crisp spent some time in the middle in the 2nd half of the game. I don't mind it.
+Moore and Howe looked to contining where they left off 12 months ago, along with roughy. This combination is gonna be great. Add in Maynard, Noble, Quaynor. Our backline... so good.
+ WHE took some nice hangers, he is a very good mark.
+ Sier got caught with the ball a couple times, but otherwise, did well.
+ Prob the most improved this summer I'd say has to be Tohil. He is moving so well, reading the ball and play a lot better than 12 months ago. Playing on the wing though.
+ coxy did well, with some great marks and on the scoreboard.

High scoring, almost 200 points scored between them. There was a trophy handed out to the winners (city)

Thanks Jen. Any comment on Wilson?

Tyler definitely more Wing, at this point. Will go inside mid as he gets older. Has filled out. Got a lot of the ball.

The last sentence the most interesting for mine. I reckon Tyler has shown the potential but the ability to get it consistently hadn’t yet been evident. If he can get more involved and start to get more ball he’ll be exciting to watch develop.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

I arrived near 6pm. Sitting across the road, you can hear Sharni's voice from the womens captains' run training session. Sun was still quite warm. Thankfully I found some shade with some tables and chairs as part of the hospitality they have outside the cafe to relax.
The women finished up around 7, then it was time to wait until the boys came out and started.

There was no warm up. No drills. They came out for a grudge match between the blacks and white. Or it seems, city v country.

All the injured played except Chugg, Adams and Reef. Not sure whats up with Chugg though. But otherwise, a very fit list.

Howe's first match sim, and there is nothing wrong with him at all. I wonder if there ever was this pre-season. Just continued on from where he left off pre-injury.

Briskey was wearing #39.

Had a chat to Henry's parents. Nice folks they are. I feel confident Henry is a good kid and we won't have any trouble with him at all.

Player notes:

Draftees:
+ Henry: Prior to this game, I wasn't sure he was ready for an early debut. I take that back. He kicked about 3 goals, nice mark and athletic. I think he could be ready now.

Senior players:

+ Daicos, Kelly, De Goey did one half, as they then were managed. De Goey rolled his ankle, but no stress, he is all good.

+ Daicos was very very lively in the firstn quarter, had 3 goals. Moved so well.
+ Rantall and Bianco, did pretty well. Bianco's ball use from the middle is something to drool over. Not many like it.
+ Quaynor and Noble did wonderfully, Noble was on the wing in some aspects. Also slotted through a couple goals.
+ Grundy looks to be back to his best. You can just feel he is about to have a monsterous year. Opposition watch out.
+ Tyler brown, looks to be have a great 2021. Come on physically. Looks like he belongs.
+ Pendles did the entire session. I don't think his age is catching up to him at all. Playing like he is 25.
+ Wilson and Murphy rotated between backline/wing. I wish they keep Murphy on the wing, he'd struggle to get a game in the backline. Its rock solid.
+ Cal Brown looked dominant. His tackling, his running, his kicking hitting targets. He looks good.
+ Ruscoe looks to even have a better 2021. Has developed more physically this summer.
+ Crisp spent some time in the middle in the 2nd half of the game. I don't mind it.
+Moore and Howe looked to contining where they left off 12 months ago, along with roughy. This combination is gonna be great. Add in Maynard, Noble, Quaynor. Our backline... so good.
+ Prob the most improved this summer I'd say has to be Tohil. He is moving so well, reading the ball and play a lot better than 12 months ago. Playing on the wing though.

High scoring, almost 200 points scored between them. There was a trophy handed out to the winners (city)

Awesome work as always Jen thank you.

Jacob Booth won the B&F for Diamond Creek in 2019.
Finished 4th in the Division 2 B&F.
Is a goal kicking mid fielder it seems.
Was named in our VFL Squad for 2020.
I gleaned that from some research.
Might hand over to the expert and see what he can find 35Daicos
Others are welcome to join in 😉

Really like the idea of city vs country amd having a cup etc. It gives the players motivation to put in 100% in the game instead of treating it like a shits and giggles game. Awesome match report as usual Jen2310

Really like the idea of city vs country amd having a cup etc. It gives the players motivation to put in 100% in the game instead of treating it like a shits and giggles game. Awesome match report as usual Jen2310
Agree with the idea of a city v country, but I think anyone that thinks any game, at this time of the year, is shits and giggles will be quickly shown the door.
I can't think of any other recent year where we have only 2/3 players in rehab, and all should be back within weeks. Lets pray that continues.
Also good to hear that Tohill is finally understanding the game and contributing, very good size, build & speed, if he keeps improving could play multiple positions.

What were the roles of Daicos, T.Brown and Degoey?

Degoey not hitting the scoreboard was he more midfield?

Daicos kicking 3 goals in one of the 2 terms he played was he more on a forward flank or did just dominate as an onballer and kick 3 goals as a mid?

What was Tyler Browns role? I suspect with 2 pie teams as an onballer but is he more likely a wingman/HFF pushing into the midfield in the best side?

Back 7: Moore, Roughead, Howe, Maynard, Quaynor, Noble, J.Crisp

Mid 8: Grundy, Pendles, Adams, Degoey, Daicos, T.Brown, Sier, Sidebottom

Fwd 7: D.Cameron, Mihocek, J.Elliott, WHE, C.Brown, J.Thomas (1 of Mcreery, M.Cox, W.Kelly, F.Macrae)

Sounds like the best 22
Cameron is absolutely not best 22

Agree with the idea of a city v country, but I think anyone that thinks any game, at this time of the year, is shits and giggles will be quickly shown the door.
I can't think of any other recent year where we have only 2/3 players in rehab, and all should be back within weeks. Lets pray that continues.
Also good to hear that Tohill is finally understanding the game and contributing, very good size, build & speed, if he keeps improving could play multiple positions.
Don’t jinx us!

Jacob Booth won the B&F for Diamond Creek in 2019.
Finished 4th in the Division 2 B&F.
Is a goal kicking mid fielder it seems.
Was named in our VFL Squad for 2020.
I gleaned that from some research.
Might hand over to the expert and see what he can find 35Daicos
Others are welcome to join in 😉
Thanks! This is what Jacob Booth looks like: Official AFL Website of the Collingwood Football Club (collingwoodfc.com.au)
1613775546507.png
I think they updated that page quite recently. He doesn't have his own page as yet on the site.

Creekers stay in finals hunt | Northern Football Netball League (nfnl.org.au)
1613775914229.png
He played for the Northern Knights way back in 2015, so may well be about 23 now:
1613776218075.png

1613776184515.png
This was him in the Record back in 2015 (when playing TAC Cup), so he is now 23:
1613778272734.png

He was on the Northern Blues VFL list in 2016 but off the list in 2017: VFL season preview (carltonfc.com.au)
He played one game for their Development League team in August 2015 and was named 3rd best.

From 2017:
1613777638391.png

He also won the B&F at Diamond Creek in 2018:
1613777089245.png
This should mean he won it in 2017 as well:
1613777283043.png
1613777306413.png

He does kick quite a lot of goals for a midfielder: Player statistics for Jacob Booth - SportsTG

Last edited:
It was a high scoring first quarter with Country kicking six goals.

New draftee, Oliver Henry starring with two goals including a beautiful front and centre snap. His ability compete for the ball both in the air and on the ground was particularly impressive.

In his return to match simulation, Jeremy Howe looked comfortable as the anchor behind the ball for Country.

The dynamic Josh Daicos’ three goals were what kept City within reach going into the first break.

QT: City 3.2.20 to Country 6.1.37
VFL listed player Callan Wellings put his best foot forward, showing off his football smarts off half-back, while sneaking forward for two goals.

Jordan De Goey was a class above, demonstrating his power around the stoppages and clean ball use, typified by a goal from outside 50.

Captain Scott Pendlebury looked in great touch, exemplifying what he’s best at; dominating clearances.

Country’s Darcy Cameron fought valiantly in the ruck against City’s Brodie Grundy, successfully going forward and creating issues in the air for the City backline.

HT: City 7.2.44 to Country 8.5.53
John Noble looks to be carrying his good form from 2020 into the new year. Contributing to City’s rebound off half-back, while hitting the scoreboard with a running goal from 50m.

Brody Mihocek was a strong presence up forward for Country, forming a dynamic partnership with Jamie Elliott. Their connection demonstrated perfectly with a great centring kick from Mihocek to find Elliott on his own in front of goal.

The third quarter finished with a late City flourish, thanks to quick goals from VFL listed player Jacob Booth. Booth finished with three for the night.

3QT: City 11.4.70 to Country 11.7.73
Future stars, Tyler Brown and Trent Bianco looked strong in the contest. Bianco’s speed complimented by Brown’s silk and poise helped City combat the experience and talent of the Sidebottom and Pendlebury midfield.

Caleb Poulter’s left boot was busy off half-back. Country using his agility and athleticism to counter attack City’s forward half press.

Mason Cox was back to his big-marking best, taking some spectacular grabs over the heads of the Country backline. His three goals in the final quarter helped City to their first lead of the game and the eventual victory

Brodie Grundy hit the scoreboard late, kicking the match sealer City. The dominant ruckman was seen to be one of the best afield for his side on the night.

FT: City 16.5.101 to Country 14.10.94
BEST:
City - Grundy, Daicos, Maynard, C Brown
Country - Tohill, Mihocek, Greenwood, Henry

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Briskey was wearing #39.

Player notes:

Draftees:

Senior players:

How did you find about the Intra-Club Jen2310 ? and Why was is Kept Secret to the last Minutes?

COVID I’m guessing. Imagine the media frenzy if we advertised it, they’d be asking for our team to be abolished.

Have it at Vic Park instead where they could have some Control of the Crowds.

Looked like North did something like that during the Day at Arden Street

Briskey was wearing #39.

Player notes:

Draftees:

Senior players:

Thanks Jen.

Did anyone not play well? 😂

How did you find about the Intra-Club Jen2310 ? and Why was is Kept Secret to the last Minutes?
clearly its a short distance for me, so I decided to go and check if they were doing something. It was a nice evening for it to relax and watch some footy.

Club Answered my Question:

The Irish pub in Fitzroy St last night was absolutely packed outside, with one group of about 30-40 sitting shoulder to shoulder in a big outdoor tent and a long line of people pressed up against each others sweaty bodies seeking admittance inside. In fact, every venue in St Kilda that served alcohol featured wall to wall revellers in their outside areas. There seems no limit on the numbers who can congregate in these outdoor venues. I am sure the ground could have accommodated many more than 20. There is not much consistency to the restrictions or how they are applied.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back