Retired #39 Paddy McCartin - Thank you Paddy - Always a Blood!

Remove this Banner Ad

When is the deadline for the supplementary signings or have we passed that. I wasn’t sold on mccartin at first but he looks to be in better condition than he was throughout his career. Shows a high level of dedication. Worth a rookie spot at least

I think richmond signed a kid yesterday so it's open.

Makes little sense to not sign him to the list now. Minimal coin so lowest risk possible

I think the reason is that this years mid-season draft is going to be an absolute cracker as every bolter who would have been drafted if 2020 was a normal season will be available this midseason draft. Had covid been around in Clayton Oliver's draft year then he would not have been drafted, and he would have been available in the mid-season draft the following year.

Especially if they are Victorian as none of them got to play last year, and think of all the players that did not show much in their 17th year but really came on in their draft year. All those kids will be available.

Still think we should have taken him instead of Malachy in the rookie draft. No knock on Malachy, but if we've assessed McCartin as fit enough to play, then he's fit enough for a rookie list spot.

I get that we got McDonald and didn't want to double up on key forwards but they are such different players.

I'm still not sure if he should be playing footy at all, but if he's going to play then it should be on the rookie list at least.

Still think we should have taken him instead of Malachy in the rookie draft. No knock on Malachy, but if we've assessed McCartin as fit enough to play, then he's fit enough for a rookie list spot.

I get that we got McDonald and didn't want to double up on key forwards but they are such different players.

I'm still not sure if he should be playing footy at all, but if he's going to play then it should be on the rookie list at least.
I reckon the club are more than competent to manage all these issues to the best outcome for all involved.
By signing him to ressies we leave our spare spot open for the mid year draft. Maybe Paddy gets that spot, maybe someone else.
Beatson and Dalrymple know what they're up to.

Incredible to think he's the same age as the likes of Curnow and younger than Charlie Cameron.

Could still be anything yet if his body is right.

If all goes well, could be a great pick up.. If all goes perfectly, will be f***n fantastic!!
Theres been a fair few key forwards taken in the last few drafts.. King twins, Lukosius (who I reckon is better than the twins), Ugle-Hagan, Thilthorpe, McDonald. McCartin is still only 24yo, was pick 1 in his draft, potential to win the coleman!?! Hard to get a high quality key forward. either a very high draft pick and a few years of development, or, a Very expensive trade (picks and $$), or a Very expensive free agent ($$$$).
McCartin is free :)
McCartin(24), McDonald (19), McLean (22) is a damn good future forward combo for a long time yet. Would probably only play two at a time which leaves us with some depth.. not to forget Tommy McCartin could still be a good forward in the future too.

The Swans can still sign him as a rookie until March 9. Prob won't happen

Seemingly out of step, but not keen on Paddy's signing.

35 games from his debut in 2015 to his delisting at the end of 2019. 8 separate concussions.

Sure he has got the 'all clear', but what happens when he gets his next knock to his head?
Sometimes a person has to be protected from themself.
And I hope we took legal advice, to protect ourselves, if it goes pear-shaped.

Was my thinking previously, but now it's happening I wish him nothing but the best.

Paddy is in full training and ready to play though, as seen below.

1613773568509.png

IMO he is nuts pulling the boots back on after everything he went through.

crazy by him amd the club IMO but they know better than me so we will see

Don't worry if McCartin gets concussed then all he has to do is sit out for 12 days and then he'll be sweet...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think the club and mccartin probably have the inside dope on his medical condition. No need for fans to be unduly concerned.

It must be terrible to go from No.1 pick to can't even play a game in just a few years, especially when younger bro is cementing a key role in a future premiership side. Personally I hope he can resurrect his career and end up playing a big role for us. Our future forward lineup just gets rosier and rosier.

I think the club and mccartin probably have the inside dope on his medical condition. No need for fans to be unduly concerned.

It must be terrible to go from No.1 pick to can't even play a game in just a few years, especially when younger bro is cementing a key role in a future premiership side. Personally I hope he can resurrect his career and end up playing a big role for us. Our future forward lineup just gets rosier and rosier.
No one actually knows until he is in a position.

let’s hope it doesn’t happen again but until then no one knows

Agreed. I feel really apprehensive about him possibly joining the AFL squad later on.

It really doesn't sit right with me with the head trauma he has gone through. It's his choice, but it feels deadly at this point imo.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back