Training 2021 Pre-season Training

Remove this Banner Ad

Was at the game today. As ScottBo said, I was right near that one play from Campbell near swans bench, picked up a low ball at pace that was coming at him, swerved around a couple and a lovely left foot inside 50. Just one glimpse, but looked a natural, especially with a bit of space.

SeanM, only difference I can think of in those teams, pretty sure O'Riordan was on green team back six (seven) as well. Campbell, Carruthers, O'Connor interchanged between themselves a couple of times.

SydneyBlood, was that Richard Colless standing near the bench? I didn't spot the Swans current chairman.

Also didn't see Paddy McCartin. But I really liked the energy of having the 2s sitting on the sidelines. I think the added numbers will have a good impact on the squad, hopefully it'll be friendly competition and motivation for the recent draftees.

Didn't see Richard Colless (though I might be hard pressed to recognise him actually), did see Andrew Pridham near the bench in 2nd or 3rd qtr. Think he arrived after game started. Yeah, didn't notice Paddy amongst the VFL team members.

Great to see Bloods fans at the match simulation :)
match sim1.jpg

Last edited:
This was stolen from RWO:

The two teams looked to be probables vs possibles initially. Interestingly there were quite a few that appeared on the possibles list that I would have had in probables; Rowbottom, Dawson, Hewitt, Sinclair, O'Riordan & McLean.

The starting 17 Reds were:

Cunningham McCartin Melican
Lloyd Rampe Fox
Blackey Kennedy Florent
Heeney Reid Haywood
Papley McDonald
Hickey Mills Parker

The game was played over 4 quarters but each quarter was broken into two halves.
Many of the starting Reds had been shuffled off before 3/4 time and replaced by Greens who themselves were replaced by East Coast players.

The quality of the game was marred by poor handling due to "sweat and dew on the ball , which makes it like a piece of soap", this quote came from one the officiating umpires.

The best players were LLoyd, Haywood (5 goals), McCartin, Kennedy, Blakey, Mills, Heeney and Papley.

Parker had left the ground before the end of the second half of the first quarter, not certain why.
Ling looked to have injured his ankle late in the game.
Haywood had left knee heavily strapped but was unstoppable.
Hickey got stronger as match progressed and overshadowed all comers.

Armerty for the Greens showed plenty. He was agile and committed in every contest. Kicked multiple goals and looked confident against quality opponents.
Stephens also looked comfortable in this company and did enough to suggest he may find a place in first 22.
Bell also looked good in this match especially early, as did Ronke.
Reid continued to get to contests and gave Papley, Haywood and Heeney plenty of opportunities.

Players that I thought would have done better were:

Rowbottom - looked to be off colour. Was being left behind when on Kennedy and was unable to stop Mills or Parker. He did not appear to have the same energy and spirit that we witnessed last season.
McDonald - Big lad but did not see enough of the ball. Caught out of position often and will need spend some time getting accustomed to a new style of play.
O'Riordan - COR seemed a bit lost when ball was in his area. Fumbled often and looks to have lost a bit of touch over summer.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I’d be playing guys like mcdonald , campbell and rowbottom on the green team so that they are playing against senior level players. Excellent learning curve for them.

Slow games are to be expected from mcdonald, not sure anyone would many expectations of him this year, as long as he competes gets the experience, it will be a good year for him

Don't like the way the teams were assigned at all.

Glad to see Fox is considered a 'have' though. I think he's absolutely best 22 until his form proves otherwise. Love his rebounding off half back (even if the decision-making that follows is a little... chaotic... but it's Rhyce Shaw-esque, so it's welcomed!) He should not get shafted just because we're eager to see what Gould can provide.

Don't like the way the teams were assigned at all.

Glad to see Fox is considered a 'have' though. I think he's absolutely best 22 until his form proves otherwise. Love his rebounding off half back (even if the decision-making that follows is a little... chaotic... but it's Rhyce Shaw-esque, so it's welcomed!) He should not get shafted just because we're eager to see what Gould can provide.
like Fox.. Think of him as a solid depth player. can play his role on and off the field.
The small to medium defenders hes up against include. Lloyd, Rampe, Cunningham, COR, Ling, Dawson, Gould, Campbell
Fox won't replace McCartin or Melican as tall defenders. and won't replace Lloyd, Rampe, Cunningham, Dawson.
That leaves Ling, Gould, Campbell and COR.. Also Mills, Reid, Hayward etc who can drop back to help.
Fox will be lucky to play round 1

Remove this Banner Ad

Back