AFLW AFLW Season 5, Mega thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
We're off the bottom of the ladder ladies and gentlemen. Gold Coast's percentage went from 32.3% to 26.3% after today's effort. Ours is 29.3%.

Freo had the last 20 scoring shots of the game after the Suns kicked the first goal. Could've been a lot uglier if the Dockers kicked straight (they ended up with 7.13).

We're off the bottom of the ladder ladies and gentlemen. Gold Coast's percentage went from 32.3% to 26.3% after today's effort. Ours is 29.3%.

Freo had the last 20 scoring shots of the game after the Suns kicked the first goal. Could've been a lot uglier if the Dockers kicked straight (they ended up with 7.13).
Gold Coast kinda doing the opposite of us this season - they started somewhat positively with a score of 35 versus Melbourne; since then it's been 2, 8 & 6

One thing that I feel is relevant to all of us, Suns, Tigers and probably Eagles though they haven't played yet this round (and haven't seen as much of them) - each team needs to learn to win

We've all played good football at times, had periods of domination over our opponents but haven't been able to sustain it for 4 quarters - an early season win for any of these 4 teams may have seen them go on with a second or third win to this stage of the season

AFL has to fixture Geelong vs Gold Coast next week. Throw both teams a bone and let them have a sniff of a win.
Unfortunately it's unlikely due to border restrictions - from Qld Gov website:
What’s changed from 1am AEST 13 February 2021
  • Specific parts of Victoria are now declared COVID-19 hotspots. Anyone who has been in Greater Melbourne in the last 14 days or since 7 February 2021 (whichever is shorter) must quarantine in government arranged accommodation at their own expense.

And even if we didn't travel to Melbourne last night to play St Kilda, Geelong is deemed a hotspot by the Qld government

May need to look at another Vic clash

At least we've kicked at least 1 goal in every game we've played thus far. North can't say the same. ;)
Damn, thought they'd put up a better effort than that

And they join the Suns as being another team held goalless this year

3rd Friday night game in a row

Will Geelong breakthrough for their first win of the season or will Richmond finally get to sing the song for the first time in their short AFLW history

Or will fate have the last laugh and it'll be a draw

Kchamp

Debutant
Feb 21, 2021
AFL Club
Collingwood
Last night boots Boyd had 3 kicks, 3 handballs, 2 marks and 1 tackle; interestingly Barber also had 3 kicks, 3 handballs, then it was 1 mark and 3 tackles + a behind

I know Boyd had a bigger presence last week & probably was her best game in the hoops, but last night felt like what we've become used to seeing from her. If a standard game from Boyd is going to be 6 disposals & a couple of marks, let's blood someone younger because I doubt they'd have less of a presence than that

The rawness of Barber & Williams is quite obvious, but you can tell there's something to work with & that pumping games into them is going to be beneficial for both their future and the clubs.

They also bring this youthful exuberance, a wand and willingness to get involved - if Skinner can bring similar then I'm all for it

I'm not a Cats fan but I do agree. There is a lot of old talent that should be traded or delisted. When the Cats started their journey, they were drafting Geelong Falcons and GWV Rebels. After their inaugural year, they have only drafted Falcons'. Lucy McEvoy should be their main target for this years trade period, but there are a few Rebels that should gain Geelong's attention.

1. Lauren Butler - Collingwood - Half back flanker
2. Sophie Molan - Richmond - Inside midfielder
3. Ella Wood - Retired early (A talent that needs to get back in the game) - Utility
4. Maggie Caris - Melbourne - Much needed ruck
5. Renee Saulitis - St Kilda - Small forward
6. Isabella Simmons - Melbourne - Tall forward

AFLW Geelong Cats to create history with Indigenous guernsey
GEELONG will make history this week when it dons its Indigenous guernsey for the first time in an AFLW match.
LACHIE YOUNG,
Chief football writer, Geelong Advertiser

GEELONG will make history this week when it dons its Indigenous guernsey for the first time in an AFLW match.

The new jumper, which will also be worn by the men in 2021, was designed by local Wadawurrung woman Corrina Eccles.

It incorporates a number of meaningful landmarks across the Barwon region and features the word Djilang on the back, which is the Wadawurrung word for Geelong and represents the language of the land.

Eccles said she set about telling a story with her design.

“I wanted to tell the story of Wadawurrung country, the story of Djilang, and take people back on a journey to what the country was like prior to how we see the build environment today,” Eccles said.

“In the design I have the Kardiniu, the sunrise taking place and the two teams coming together to play what we call Marngrook.

“(It has) the Barwon River, which is a place that our eels would travel down. The eels then meet on our coast, our saltwater country – I’ve represented the waves of our saltwater country.

“Then we have our mountain country, our big hills and Bunjil (who) watches over this country he created. He will often fly over the stadium, watching over country and the river.”

Livewire forward Steph Williams, who hails from the Northern Territory, said it would be a special feeling to be able to wear Geelong’s Indigenous jumper.

“It is going to be amazing,” Williams said.

“It is always a very special feeling when you pull on the hoops and run out as a team and like Aasta O’Connor says ‘you are in the race together’ so it is going to be an even more empowering feeling to have all our women wearing the Indigenous jumper.

“It is celebrating other people’s culture and it is a huge recognition. It is that next part of coming together and embracing one another so I am just super excited.”

Wouldn't be the first time this season she's been looked at for a dangerous tackle either.
And she's been given a week

Charges Laid:
Madison Prespakis, Carlton, has been charged with Rough Conduct (Dangerous Tackle) against Sarah Hosking, Richmond, during the second quarter of the Round Four match between Carlton and Richmond, played at Ikon Park on Saturday February 20.

In summary she can accept a one match sanction with an early plea.

Based on the available evidence, the incident was assessed as Careless Conduct, Medium Impact and High Contact. The incident was classified as a one-match sanction as a first offence. The player can accept a one match sanction with an early plea.

Congrats to Webster

And both nominees came from Friday nights game:

With the match played under Friday night lights, it's no wonder that the stars have aligned for the Round Four @NAB AFL Women's Rising Star nominees 🌟

Congrats to @stkildafcw's Tyanna Smith and @catswomens' Rebecca Webster: afl.to/2NkZC20

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back