Apple Isle Showdown: Tas Govt threatens to end Hawks, North deals if no plan for 19th side

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soz for the late reply, but I cannot like this part of your post enough, in fact there is not enough BF real estate to click as many.

This is not a troll, it is clear that there is a certain type of non vic footy fan that seemingly has an unconscious (or even intentional!) chip on their shoulder and it seems they don't number in the small minority, at least not on here anyway.

Any thread about footy apart from SRP seem to get hijacked into 'too many teams in vic', any sniff about the state of vic in the conversation and it gets hijacked into a kick a vic competition.

Take this thread for example, the title suggests that the Tas premier has given HQ an ultimatum to provide clarity on when / where Tas could be getting a competition licence.

Then it descends into, why not? > HQ is biased > HQ is biased intentionally coz they haters > this competition is a laughing stock because too many teams in vic > I hate this comp and will complain > I'll complain but will still follow > my club is newer to the comp than any vic club but kill off old clubs anyway coz 'good of the game' > we're entitled to that coz 'fair'🤦‍♂️

Any comment about the number of Vic posters who seem to want to export North Melbourne or St Kilda out of Victoria?

Aspects of the 'Chip on shoulder' may come as a frustrated response to the dismissive, arrogant behavior, obfuscation & downright lies that come out of AFL HQ.

Maybe looking at a place like Perth with about 1.1mil per team compared with some 500k in Melbourne seems 'unbalanced' thus issues of equity can be easily seen.

The ignorant comments about weather, parochialism, economy, population which some seem not to want to view sensibly.

Et al.

Anyway, play on.

Maybe looking at a place like Perth with about 1.1mil per team compared with some 500k in Melbourne seems 'unbalanced' thus issues of equity can be easily seen.
It's crazy. Even if you used the population of the whole state, you only have 635,000 people per team. Considering over a quarter of Victorians are born overseas (likely less interest in footy) how can Victorians still argue that Tassie doesn't have a large enough population to support a team?

EDIT: An extension of this, Geelong has a population of 250,000 - less than half of Tasmania's population, yet they had 60,000 members last year.

Last edited:
Another adequate question is how much did the AFL drop on AFL X?

But AFLX was so much fun to watch :rolleyes:

It was such a tragedy it ended soon so. I will never have the same memories my Dad had watching the Flyers win the championship 🤣 🤣 🤣

Seriously though, the AFL are a joke of a professional sporting organisation and Tasmania should have had it's own team in the next 5-10 years IMO instead of wasting money down the drain on competitions stated above to improve the participation rates in community football down there.

Last edited:
Unless there is another body charged with the responsibility that I am unaware of, it's the AFL which is responsible for the health of the game at all levels.

They are an abject failure in this regard when it comes to Tassie. They clearly don't care about the game there and, as a result, just pay it lip service.

They are killing off the lower grades in other states too.

I assume they wont admit its because GCS, GWS and AFLW are bleeding troughs of cash.

AFL players would be treated like absolute stars down here, like nothing else in any other state.
When I lived in Victoria, I'd ask people which team they supported I was amazed by how often people said "I don't have a team", I stopped asking people eventually as I realised that it's simply not as popular per capita in Victoria as it is in Tasmania.

Yeah, shocked me too. Well over 50% of the people I work with don't follow it. Most don't watch any sport at all.

In Tassie, you'd be less of an outcast to admit you're a serial killer than someone who doesn't watch the footy.

It's crazy. Even if you used the population of the whole state, you only have 635,000 people per team. Considering over a quarter of Victorians are born overseas (likely less interest in footy) how can Victorians still argue that Tassie doesn't have a large enough population to support a team?

EDIT: An extension of this, Geelong has a population of 250,000 - less than half of Tasmania's population, yet they had 60,000 members last year.

Yes, but that obvious stuff goes through to the keeper with them.

They are killing off the lower grades in other states too.

I assume they wont admit its because GCS, GWS and AFLW are bleeding troughs of cash.
I also wonder what the state of the game is in other areas of Australia outside the AFL, I would also be interested to know what the financial investment and profit/loss is for the GCS, GWS and AFLW.

Could someone be kind point me into the right direction where I could find profit and loss on the above 3 plus what did the AFLX cost in the end? I remember (I think) a statement being made by the AFL once the 17th and 18th team were admitted it was going to take maybe 10 or 20 years to be self-sufficient?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Gill close to the end of his tenure and *still* can't read the room on an emotive issue like this.

Ham-fisted and lead-footed.

We desperately need change at top and for goodness sake this time don't just promote the deputy in another collective AFL House bathwater-drinking episode.

What I did find baffling is why with a new AFL comp in AFlW that they didn’t even try to put a tassie team in but gave pathetic halfway option of buddying up with north. Perfect opportunity to even placate us down here.
Because if they gave Tassie their own team in the AFLW we would rightly ask, why can't we have our own men's team then?

Gill close to the end of his tenure and *still* can't read the room on an emotive issue like this.

Ham-fisted and lead-footed.

We desperately need change at top and for goodness sake this time don't just promote the deputy in another collective AFL House bathwater-drinking episode.
I don't think we will get a Tassie team unless Benny Gale gets the gig to take over from Gill, and despite his credentials I don't think they will give it to him because he's not a 'yes man' and will challenge things more than they're comfortable with.

Because if they gave Tassie their own team in the AFLW we would rightly ask, why can't we have our own men's team then?
Fair - but it would at least be a gesture that is a helluva lot meaningful than we give you the privilege of handing $8m to two Victorian teams to play in your state

Soz for the late reply, but I cannot like this part of your post enough, in fact there is not enough BF real estate to click as many.

This is not a troll, it is clear that there is a certain type of non vic footy fan that seemingly has an unconscious (or even intentional!) chip on their shoulder and it seems they don't number in the small minority, at least not on here anyway.

Any thread about footy apart from SRP seem to get hijacked into 'too many teams in vic', any sniff about the state of vic in the conversation and it gets hijacked into a kick a vic competition.

Take this thread for example, the title suggests that the Tas premier has given HQ an ultimatum to provide clarity on when / where Tas could be getting a competition licence.

Then it descends into, why not? > HQ is biased > HQ is biased intentionally coz they haters > this competition is a laughing stock because too many teams in vic > I hate this comp and will complain > I'll complain but will still follow > my club is newer to the comp than any vic club but kill off old clubs anyway coz 'good of the game' > we're entitled to that coz 'fair'🤦‍♂️
You are right and it is so bloody boring. Either put up (and stop following) or shut up.

Thing is they can’t lose... so why would they stop following? They either win the competition, and it’s the greatest victory ever having overcome travel, the fixture, MCG GF, umpires, tribunal and other non-descript and ill-defined vicco biases or they don’t win and it’s only because of travel, the fixture, MCG GF, umpires, tribunal and other non-descript and ill-defined vicco biases.

Gill's response didn't say no, it says they will take time to conduct a more thorough review, but chiefly its around holding ground until there is more certainty of the financial position of the game and existing clubs after what could be another COVID impacted season or more cuts and job losses.

Anyway you look at it, that's a sensible business decision to see where things are at rather than jumping in and committing now. Covid aside, Tassie should and will get a team one day. But taking some time to see how 2021 plays out before such a huge venture isn't a bad thing, its sensible.

Its not like Tassie was going to have a team in 2022 anyway, this likely at worst delays any team by 1 season from what it would have been. If the business case is sound after the assesment, then maybe the introduction can be accelerated.

Gill has ****ed up a lot of things with our game, but honestly given the circumstances at the moment this is a sensible decision to just slow down and cautiously see how 2021 goes.

Gill is a pathetic Yes man, but blaming him solely shows no nuance.

You have to ask yourself, who runs the AFL and for whos benefit?

The answer to this is the Victorian State Government and the conglomerate of big Victorian clubs, and the trickle down to the small legacy Vic clubs.

So then you ask yourself what is the motivation for them refusing Tasmania a licence. Only then will you understand how to combat it. I think what the Tasmanian Premier is doing is the correct option. Its time to end the benevolent abusive relationship Tasmania has with Victoria.

Gill is a pathetic Yes man, but blaming him solely shows no nuance.

You have to ask yourself, who runs the AFL and for whos benefit?

The answer to this is the Victorian State Government and the conglomerate of big Victorian clubs, and the trickle down to the small legacy Vic clubs.

So then you ask yourself what is the motivation for them refusing Tasmania a licence. Only then will you understand how to combat it. I think what the Tasmanian Premier is doing is the correct option. Its time to end the benevolent abusive relationship Tasmania has with Victoria.
I haven't seen a refusal of a licence, the response I saw was that given the global chaos that is COVID, the AFL needs to see the impact of that on 2021 before giving decisions and time frames.

There's a lot of sensibility in that from a business perspective.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back