Mega Thread Port Forum 'General AFL Talk' Thread Part 17

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Some of the most under-utilised areas of parklands which remain barren, brown are close to Anzac Highway / Goody Rd. I still think they might be on the radar, the news train station at Wayville is key. Maybe they are trying to find a way to secure some land near there, perhaps next to all the volleyball courts, making it a sports precinct. Building a club room aside, anything that transforms barren brown land into mostly green oval space will be of benefit. Thebarton means they are tied to the SANFL, and it’s in the burbs, can’t see it happening.

Whilst I agree that part if the parklands is a complete desolate shithole, there's absolutely no chance of the clowns getting their hands on it. They couldn't get their hands on a facility that exists, there's no way they'll be able to build on Parkland where nothing exists.

The irony of the parkland preservation lunatics is they'll defend the concept that the parklands are for "Everybody", in areas where nobody uses them.

Na I agree their 22 is pretty poor, but Sloane is a star. Wouldn't hesitate to grab him. Would swap Rocky for him in a heartbeat.

Talia would be a walk up start ahead of Clurey and McKenzie.

And Laird is probably getting a gig in our best 22 as well.
Walk up start indeed. He can't run any more.

On SM-G960F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Walk up start indeed. He can't run any more.

On SM-G960F using BigFooty.com mobile app

And the crows aren't in any rush to get his next contract locked away either.

If he gets pushed out of the reigning wooden spooners, how can he be rated more highly than contributors to last years stingiest back 6?

pork-barrel-316.jpg

Whilst I agree that part if the parklands is a complete desolate shithole, there's absolutely no chance of the clowns getting their hands on it. They couldn't get their hands on a facility that exists, there's no way they'll be able to build on Parkland where nothing exists.

The irony of the parkland preservation lunatics is they'll defend the concept that the parklands are for "Everybody", in areas where nobody uses them.
The smart idea would be to build facilities on the south side of Greenhill Rd and build an oval on Park 20 (south of Veale Gardens) or Park 21 to the east. The tram comes right down Peacock Rd between these 2 parks. They would have to buy or lease probably 2 or 3 adjacent properties on Greenhill Rd, and restructure them and build admin offices, gym, pool, training facility and club rooms and keep the walk for fans from the tram stop to around 500m and the players have to crossover Greenhill Road and the walk to the oval for the players is within say 200m.

They would have to do a deal with ACC to maintain the oval themselves not the council - they get those costs paid for at West Lakes at the moment - and should be able to get a picket fence built around the oval to protect it but public still has access when the crows aren't using it. If they want an east-west replica MCG oval they pay to maintain that but its not fenced off, just marked out..

Anywhere along that south Parklands would be doable if they negotiate a common sense deal with the ACC that they will help improve and maintain the ovals at their expense and not the ACC's. But are the crows prepared to spend those sort of $$ when they have been receiving rent free fully maintained premises for 3 decades and have a deal to 2048?

The south Parklands near Greenhill Road are an unkept disgrace for most of the year, especially the warm months. Only Park 6 the park in NE corner of North Adelaide between Lefevre Tce and Robe Tce is kept in a worse state all year round for the horsey types. When I drive past Park 6 I wonder if I'm in the middle of a capital city or the middle of the bush. If the ACC are going to have parklands - spend the money and maintain them.

1613866871066.png

The smart idea would be to build facilities on the south side of Greenhill Rd and build an oval on Park 20 (south of Veale Gardens) or Park 21 to the east. The tram comes right down Peacock Rd between these 2 parks. They would have to buy or lease probably 2 or 3 adjacent properties on Greenhill Rd, and restructure them and build admin offices, gym, pool, training facility and club rooms and keep the walk for fans from the tram stop to around 500m and the players have to crossover Greenhill Road and the walk to the oval for the players is within say 200m.

They would have to do a deal with ACC to maintain the oval themselves not the council - they get those costs paid for at West Lakes at the moment - and should be able to get a picket fence built around the oval to protect it but public still has access when the crows aren't using it. If they want an east-west replica MCG oval they pay to maintain that but its not fenced off, just marked out..

Anywhere along that south Parklands would be doable if they negotiate a common sense deal with the ACC that they will help improve and maintain the ovals at their expense and not the ACC's. But are the crows prepared to spend those sort of $$ when they have been receiving rent free fully maintained premises for 3 decades and have a deal to 2048?

The south Parklands near Greenhill Road are an unkept disgrace for most of the year, especially the warm months. Only Park 6 the park in NE corner of North Adelaide between Lefevre Tce and Robe Tce is kept in a worse state all year round for the horsey types. When I drive past Park 6 I wonder if I'm in the middle of a capital city or the middle of the bush. If the ACC are going to have parklands - spend the money and maintain them.

View attachment 1062139

I drink with a lawyer woman at the Old Lion sometimes who lives on Lafevre Tce and when I brought up what a complete eyesore that horsey paddock is, she just about punched me out. Those North Adelaide types will never let anything happen in the surrounding northern parklands, the Crows are on hiding to nothing there.
You are right, the south parklands would be more of a chance under the proposal you outlined, as there is virtually no housing on Greenhill Road and the North Adelaide types wouldnt care as much and the residents south of Greenhill road aren't a part of the Adelaide City Council.

So let me get this right, Port funds and runs a league leading indigenous program and puts a plan together to expand its scope, but gets no funding, and the Crows, who had a brief period of buying an off the shelf indigenous program from McLeod & Co, cutting it even before COVID hit, get $15m.

A club that tells all and sundry how much wealth they have, and how little we have, gets to suckle on the public teat because they have never satisfactorily fulfilled these requirements in their thirty year history.

Something stinks.

I’m for preserving the Parklands.
Once you build on them it’s gone.
Maybe make them better to be in, but don’t build on them. It’s not as if there aren’t hundreds of options for building and office space etc. there are many SANFL grounds the Crows could share elsewhere in the city.
Most things already built are massively under utilised.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

View attachment 1062139
Yeah, anywhere from Park 1 to 21 could be used.
Multiple areas there that currently have playng fields on them of variou types, so not inconsistent with the current useage and ambiance of the landscape that end of town..
Whether they can negotiate a liquor license with the ACC is another matter, about which I couldn't give a flying rat's toss bag.

A sly comment from Dustin Martin’s manager has opened the door to a bombshell move to Sydney as Lance Franklin’s replacement at the Swans.

The incendiary comments from Martin’s agent Ralph Carr has sent a shockwave through the competition less than four weeks before the opening round of the season.
Carr has told The Daily Telegraph Martin “loves” Sydney and wants to play for up to another nine seasons in the AFL.
The report claims Martin is attracted by a potential long term contract in Sydney, similar to the nine-year, $10 million deal Franklin signed when making his dramatic departure from Hawthorn.

So let me get this right, Port funds and runs a league leading indigenous program and puts a plan together to expand its scope, but gets no funding, and the Crows, who had a brief period of buying an off the shelf indigenous program from McLeod & Co, cutting it even before COVID hit, get $15m.

A club that tells all and sundry how much wealth they have, and how little we have, gets to suckle on the public teat because they have never satisfactorily fulfilled these requirements in their thirty year history.

Something stinks.

By way of contrast...

Port Adelaide pushing to receive government funding to begin revamp of Alberton Oval precinct
Port Adelaide has big plans to redevelop its home base at Alberton Oval – but the only thing stop, stop, stopping the Power is government grant support.

A “shovel ready” Port Adelaide is hopeful of starting a big redevelopment of its Alberton Oval precinct in June, providing the club gets an “even-handed” treatment from the Federal Government, chairman David Koch says.

But this is reliant on the club getting Federal and State Government funding for the project.

An analysis of funding for facilities for AFL clubs from Federal and State Governments over the last five years by The Advertiser reveals the Power are the only club in the league not to receive grant support for either a new facility or upgrades.

This is despite the club having council approval for the redevelopment of Alberton, and as fierce rival Adelaide – which has attained $15 million of funding towards a new home – try one final bid to move into the parklands.

Port did have $4 million for a Centre for Aboriginal Excellence and Leadership at Alberton, but has given that money back after changing its plan for the precinct.

Koch said he was hopeful the club would get funding from the Federal Government, while the Office of Recreation and Sport could come in at a state level, with the club “shovel ready”.

“We are in fruitful discussions with the Federal Government to be treated with an even-handedness that they have supported other AFL clubs,” he said.

“What we are requesting is no different to how they have supported 14 other AFL clubs in redeveloping their facilities.

“We aren’t asking for anything more or anything less, but we do have approvals, we do have plans, we are shovel ready to go in June, and that will help with jobs after the pandemic.”

Last edited:
Multiple areas there that currently have playng fields on them of variou types, so not inconsistent with the current useage and ambiance of the landscape that end of town..
Whether they can negotiate a liquor license with the ACC is another matter, about which I couldn't give a flying rat's toss bag.
* them, hope the council puts their foot down and says no way and they end up staying At west lakes

fu** them, hope the council puts their foot down and says no way and they end up staying At west lakes
It's their spiritual home after all. Built on the back of our club's success a facility for all and no-one's home ground gets slyly morphed into theirs.

All this under the knowing gaze of that bent bug eyed blob Basheer who did such a good job for 'them' he's got a section of AO with his name on it.

Let 'em fester in Abu Dhabi's Karparkistan... it suits them. Drove past there a while ago and the only prominent signage was Scott Salisbury homes.

Have the Crows themselves ever actually said a licensed premises for members is part of the vision? that'll never happen in the parklands.

Have the Crows themselves ever actually said a licensed premises for members is part of the vision? that'll never happen in the parklands.
sshh mum's the word on that. They seem reluctant to even boast of carparks offices and no public access to their Parklands pilfering plundering perks.

You dont try and build any buildings on ACC park land, but you use the oval area, develop and improve the grass area but put the buildings on the other side of the ACC border on other councils' land, be it Greenhill Rd or Port Rd or any other border road.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back