Toast #BringBackTheBars - Our Heritage, Our History, Our Right! Part 1

Assuming there were no obstacles, would you prefer the PB/Pylon guernsey to be our home colours?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
I was being sarcastic lol.

YWZ0ffRiqQ4WT2WD9-0gdS6vOLM=.gif

Probably US professional leagues only. The US professional sports leagues have a rationale for this approach to their franchises (new franchises) colour schemes and the AFL adopted that, among many things.
Hahaha! No they don’t, have you ever watched professional US sport? Half the teams are red, white and blue!

Alex09

Senior List
May 15, 2020
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Port Adelaide Magpies
Correct for official merch. I was told by a Port Store manager years ago that McGuire protested in our early years about it and got his way. Apparently right down to the percentage of white we are allowed on predominantly black merch, basically the white on the logo. The club just accepts it.
This is why I just don't think ever relying on the club to get its way through dealing with the AFL is going to yield anything much. It all comes back to needing to be fan driven like the black and white only cheer squad idea to generate some actual pressure which can't be swept aside.

Apr 6, 2014
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Hahaha! No they don’t, have you ever watched professional US sport? Half the teams are red, white and blue!

Yep. It is pedantic but the colour schemes have variant shades but who can tell the difference. Navy blue or midnight navy blue or deep steel blue or Dodger blue. Whilst you think teams may be red, blue and white only, some have either a variant or they have a fourth colour that you hardly notice. Particularly the NFL teams. There's red and scarlet red and cardinal red. Their leagues identify these variants as being different enough.

The AFL only want Collingwood to have the black and white vertical stripe brand.

Last edited:
Aug 16, 2009
Dubai
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Manchester United Portland Timbers
So the AFL had a year to consider Tasmania’s proposal re their involvement in the AFL. The AFL now want another year to consider it.
I get that this is a far bigger issue, but it still highlights why we should have already been pushing for the Prison Bars last year.
By the time we approach the AFL and they make a decision another season will be over.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Jun 7, 2015
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Yep. It is pedantic but the colour schemes have variant shades but who can tell the difference. Navy blue or midnight navy blue or deep steel blue or Dodger blue. Whilst you think teams may be red, blue and white only, some have either a variant or they have a fourth colour that you hardly notice. Particularly the NFL teams. There's red and scarlet red and cardinal red. Their leagues identify these variants as being different enough.

The AFL only want Collingwood to have the black and white vertical stripe brand.

I'm happy for us to go very dark charcoal and white.

Sep 3, 2002
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
So the AFL had a year to consider Tasmania’s proposal re their involvement in the AFL. The AFL now want another year to consider it.
I get that this is a far bigger issue, but it still highlights why we should have already been pushing for the Prison Bars last year.
By the time we approach the AFL and they make a decision another season will be over.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
Nah, it’s all about the AFL doesn’t want to change the status quo in both cases, but doesn’t want any criticism so just says ‘give us more time to decide’.

Nah, it’s all about the AFL doesn’t want to change the status quo in both cases, but doesn’t want any criticism so just says ‘give us more time to decide’.
And hope something changes in the next year, which it inevitably does.

Alex09

Senior List
May 15, 2020
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Port Adelaide Magpies
Who doesn't enjoy "looking into it" as a polite way to fob off a request they don't want to know about?

Feb 20, 2013
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Chicago Bulls

46b16a399fd46afee67276a4900eb37a.jpg

6e4cea3eb28dff013eec1fe86d8e9798.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Apr 27, 2008
The 'Yabba
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Chael Sonnen: Moral Champion
Can someone please explain to me why Saint Kilda are allowed to have black and white vertical stripes?
Especially if you get him to rotate clockwise 45 degrees.

View attachment 1060995
Word is Eddie cracked it over their 2004 clash jumper as it had black and white stripes

Sent from my Nokia 7.2 using Tapatalk

beenreal

Club Legend
Nov 19, 2003
Port Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Port Adelaide
This is why I just don't think ever relying on the club to get its way through dealing with the AFL is going to yield anything much. It all comes back to needing to be fan driven like the black and white only cheer squad idea to generate some actual pressure which can't be swept aside.

I feel very confident that the PAFC will eventually get its way. But we'll have to work really hard for it and earn it, just like everything else we've achieved!

Mar 10, 2014
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Man Utd, Celtic, Tanunda

So Collingwood DON'T hold the trademark for colours or guernseys!
Beautiful.

So this means that the CFC have no argument to mount.

This means that the AFL can allow more than one club to have the colours black and white and more than one club to have a striped kit (and a different pattern of stripe as it turns out).

So bloody get on with it AFL and give us the nod!

Beautiful.

This means that the AFL can allow more than one club to have the colours black and white and more than one club to have a striped kit (and a different pattern of stripe as it turns out).

ergo: Collingwood aren’t the problem.

Beautiful.

I wouldn't assume Richo is 100% legally correct. As I have written before, until you read the legal documents, I'm sceptical. As I wrote in page 182 when Eddie said he would take the AFL to court for breach of copyright.

My best guess is, and I've written this before, the clubs actually own the copyright, they have registered it with IP Australia or the relevant body at the time. But when the clubs agreed to transfer a whole lot of powers to the Commission in July 1993, after the Crawford Report made a series of recommendations, the clubs assigned all the copyright rights and obligations to the AFL so that the AFL could collect licensing fees from manufacturers and other organisations that want to use AFL clubs' IP and the AFL pay the clubs most of those fees collected back to the clubs. Ie there is tighter central control of IP and the AFL has a legal department that can specialize in this and the clubs don't.

So it would be that document that assigns the rights and obligations from the club to the AFL, that Eddie is talking about

That doesn't absolve the AFL from having the guts to make a decision about allowing us to wear a black and white design. The AFL make the rules and they are a law onto themselves. They are just gutless and scared of McGuire.

Jun 12, 2012
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Jesus this is beyond a joke. We’re in the middle of a pandemic, the sport is swimming in red ink and we’re still only “really hopeful” that the AFL will come to its senses and let us wear and subsequently sell the Prison Bars a.k.a. THE MONEY PRINTING MACHINE OF PORT ADELAIDE MERCHANDISE.

Absolute F@&king Lunacy!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back