Is the delisting of tod grima one of the most unfair ever?

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 13, 2006
melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
geelong
Recall this young kid even kicking 10 goals in a single under 18 national carnival game... We somehow got him as a rookie kid.. Which was bizzare..

As a 19 year old he finished his second AFL listed season finishing third in the VFL goal kicking...

Was delisted never playing a single AFL game and nobody wanted to give him a chance.

Have always thought this was nuts.. Or was there behavioural issues??

Bit about his delisting here:-

""It was pretty disappointing to get delisted by Geelong and I didn't really see it coming," he said.
"I just got back from an overseas trip and heard there had been heaps of delisting and they were cutting a lot of middle-aged guys.
"I'd had a good season but there was always a doubt - would I go or not - but I thought I'd done enough to stay there.
"When I talked to the coaches they said, `Look you haven't done anyting wrong, there's nothing we don't like with your game.'
"Nathan Ablett had just come, Tommy Hawkins was there along with Cameron Mooney and Henry Playfair - so I was fifth on the list of forwards."

Don't think he has too many regrets according to his Linkedln profile:-
2018 Industrial Agent of the year - Australia

2019 REIV Commerical Salesperson of the year

2019 CBRE Leadership Award - Market Leader

Million Dollar Club: 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018
Two Million Dollar Club: 2019, 2020

Not giving Hamling a chance to show what he could do was a monumental blunder. With an ageing back-line, he would have slot in very nicely.
Still a lot of question marks on Mark Blicavs as a key defender. He's good when he can move to the wing and not have to deal with the best forwards.

Not giving Hamling a chance to show what he could do was a monumental blunder. With an ageing back-line, he would have slot in very nicely.
Still a lot of question marks on Mark Blicavs as a key defender. He's good when he can move to the wing and not have to deal with the best forwards.
Hamling call was just bizarre. Had x factor. Kicked some big bags in his first season. Gone straight away. Meanwhile players like parsons hang around on the list for years.

Hamling call was just bizarre. Had x factor. Kicked some big bags in his first season. Gone straight away. Meanwhile players like parsons hang around on the list for years.

I wonder how much of it is to do with intra-club politics, staff favourites, some kind of nepotism or whatever as opposed to actual meaningful football stuff like playing ability and the like?

SJ delisting has to be one of the most unfair ever. Clearly still our second best foward comfortably. Given best clubman award. Premiership star given no respect. May of gone all the way with SJ at the club the next season with danger coming in.
He may have received best clubman award,but he and Scott were at loggerheads with the advice SJ was giving to the young players at training IE take the game on back yourselves.

Recall this young kid even kicking 10 goals in a single under 18 national carnival game... We somehow got him as a rookie kid.. Which was bizzare..

As a 19 year old he finished his second AFL listed season finishing third in the VFL goal kicking...

Was delisted never playing a single AFL game and nobody wanted to give him a chance.

Have always thought this was nuts.. Or was there behavioural issues??

The concept of fair probably is not something that should be applied to professional sport.

That TG did not find another chance somewhere probably says something.

No doubt one can be lucky or unlucky land at the right or wrong club. I still maintain being the best kid draft to the worst side is not always a great way to see talent maximised. IF Carcoe had gone to Richmond and we had got Tambling... etc.. , and some lists just have an over supply of type that are not flexible.

In the 80's Richmond had Roach , Mark Jackson and Brian Taylor all kicking a heap of goals, they end up else where.

The Maddern brothers had to split up , juts not enough chances for them both. Probably plenty of examples for rucks , they are so single role players.

Reading an article about out best kids.. Sam DeKoning is now 203cm ... , we have just drafted two young rucks... ..would it surprise if one is unlucky?

On unlucky guys we cut... I thought Scott Simpson was unlucky. A couple of years after Grima..but maybe the same issues. I think he kicked 8 goals in a VFL game and only lasted a year. That is unusual, we normally give players longer than that. Was there more to it? One never knows... but considering plenty of players with issues are kep if they have enough talent, the choices where someone gets chopped early does make on wonders.

Another that had 'issues' was Blake. Not get a premiership player to 100 games.... that was a rather vindictive bit of selection.

I wonder how much of it is to do with intra-club politics, staff favourites, some kind of nepotism or whatever as opposed to actual meaningful football stuff like playing ability and the like?
We just dont know. But clearly that comes into it from time to time. We know mitch clark left once he got fit again because of his falling out with duncan. Although hamlings best mate kersten was at the club And you would think hamling was too young to cause major friction with senior players.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Good call in hindsight to delist him, just an ordinary footy player, wouldnt get a game on our side the last few years. Would be a backup reserves player. Great call

Another that had 'issues' was Blake. Not get a premiership player to 100 games.... that was a rather vindictive bit of selection.
This has come up before. I believe Blake was injured for most of the year (that was the official line anyway). He played zero AFL games and only 6 VFL games in 2011, his last year at the club.

" Very few experienced AFL listed players pulled on the VFL strip in season 2011. 3-time AFL premiership player Cameron Mooney returned from injury through the VFL, playing 6 games and booting 19 goals, while Shannon Byrnes also came back from injury to play 6 games. Mark Blake (6 games), Tom Hawkins (3 games) and Josh Hunt (1 game) were the only other players with extensive AFL experience to spend time at VFL level during the year. "

" The return of West and Simpson will cover the loss of premiership ruckman Mark Blake who has undergone finger surgery. "

This has come up before. I believe Blake was injured for most of the year (that was the official line anyway). He played zero AFL games and only 6 VFL games in 2011, his last year at the club.

" Very few experienced AFL listed players pulled on the VFL strip in season 2011. 3-time AFL premiership player Cameron Mooney returned from injury through the VFL, playing 6 games and booting 19 goals, while Shannon Byrnes also came back from injury to play 6 games. Mark Blake (6 games), Tom Hawkins (3 games) and Josh Hunt (1 game) were the only other players with extensive AFL experience to spend time at VFL level during the year. "

" The return of West and Simpson will cover the loss of premiership ruckman Mark Blake who has undergone finger surgery. "

A premiership ruckman, who had played over 20 games per year 4 years in a row , before an injury year... was delisted on 99 games at the age of 25 ? I think his father had onlly played 84 games at the same stage..

That he did not find another club say a lot about thoughts on him as ruckman and footballer at the time but , I suspect if he was the best club man and loved by all, they would have kept him round and ensure that he got to 100 games... 25 year old ruckman... is only starting to get to his best years..

How much did the whole issue issue that played out in the media hurt him? Hard to gauge but I suspect that unless you are a gun , that you can get offside with a core group within the club and find yourself out the door.

A situation happens like what happened at the crows..two club champs fall out and they keep both, but if an ordinary player becomes troublesome , I suspect he could find himself out the door.

Last edited:
SJ delisting has to be one of the most unfair ever. Clearly still our second best foward comfortably. Given best clubman award. Premiership star given no respect. May of gone all the way with SJ at the club the next season with danger coming in.

Kicked 43 goals the following year too.

Every case is different. I'm actually in favour of moving on veterans when their time is up, but you also have to assess whether they've got good footy left in them. I certainly don't think Johnson should have gotten 3 years or anything, but just like Chapman he clearly had one very good year left. Pity it wasn't for us.

That he did not find another club say a lot about thoughts on him as ruckman and footballer at the time but , I suspect if he was the best club man and loved by all, they would have kept him round and ensure that he got to 100 games... 25 year old ruckman... is only starting to get to his best years..

How much did the whole issue issue that played out in the media hurt him? Hard to gauge but I suspect that unless you are a gun , that you can get offside with a core group within the club and find yourself out the door.

I thought then and now Blake was treated unbelievably harshly. By the club and particularly by fans. So he was a little annoyed as missing out on a premiership, so what? Not the first and won't be the last. I actually met and spoke to most if not all the players at the 2007 Best and Fairest. The only one I didn't enjoy chatting to - by a long way - was Steven King.

He was a solid tap ruckman and pretty durable. Wasn't the best but wasn't the worst either.

Kicked 43 goals the following year too.

Every case is different. I'm actually in favour of moving on veterans when their time is up, but you also have to assess whether they've got good footy left in them. I certainly don't think Johnson should have gotten 3 years or anything, but just like Chapman he clearly had one very good year left. Pity it wasn't for us.
Moving veterens on is fine if you get something for them. sJ was sacked not moved on. Given sj was still a huge contributor and we were deficient in the area where he contributed it Was just a bizarre outcome that hurt us. He should of been given a 1 year contract. Those 43 goals would of come in handy.

whats really bizarre is we are now paying for players in the same position SJ was like shaun higgins. Same sort of contribution. Same age. Only difference is we had to give up a trade pick for higgins. We didnt have to give up anything to keep SJ.

I thought then and now Blake was treated unbelievably harshly. By the club and particularly by fans. So he was a little annoyed as missing out on a premiership, so what? Not the first and won't be the last. I actually met and spoke to most if not all the players at the 2007 Best and Fairest. The only one I didn't enjoy chatting to - by a long way - was Steven King.

He was a solid tap ruckman and pretty durable. Wasn't the best but wasn't the worst either.
Had king been told at the point he was being moved on cos blake had a tanty and threatened to leave? It might explain why he wasnt in a talkative mood.

Blake didnt need to undergo finger surgery. He choose to because he thought it would give him a contract with another club. He should of played on and fought for his spot at our club instead.

Had king been told at the point he was being moved on cos blake had a tanty and threatened to leave? It might explain why he wasnt in a talkative mood.

That's always been the rumour but have never seen any evidence of it. I doubt very much that what Blake said (IF he said it) would have made any difference. To that point he'd played 33 senior games. Not quite convinced he had that power over the list.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back