Preview Round 4 v Brisbane Lions - Sunday 21 February @ Hickey Park, 12:40pm

Remove this Banner Ad

Racjic and Woodland were as good as they were bad.

I get these girls are going to lack the awareness of the men at this stage of the league but **** me that was inexcusable.

I was actually happy with Woodland and I would have her in the best.

I'd rather what she provided than Stevie Lee and Ponter.

Undecided on Rajcic. She had some positives, but the negatives did outweigh it.

Racjic and Woodland were as good as they were bad.

I get these girls are going to lack the awareness of the men at this stage of the league but **** me that was inexcusable.

66683794-1408-4181-9296-7DED866B5E57.jpeg

I still can’t work out who to blame for that Munyard moment, Woodland standing right next to Munyard looking at the opposition players not telling Munyard to hold or is it Munyard’s total lack of awareness, both can each cop some of it. One of the worst brain fart moments I’ve seen in football.

Rajcic only made one bad error that I can remember. The turnover after the holding-the-ball free in the 3rd quarter wasn't a mistake by her and should have been 50m, there's no reason you should expect to be tackled when you have a free kick, are running straight at the goal and haven't yet crossed the mark.

Last edited:
I was actually happy with Woodland and I would have her in the best.

I'd rather what she provided than Stevie Lee and Ponter.

Undecided on Rajcic. She had some positives, but the negatives did outweigh it.
I don't think they do, because we won. She takes goal saving marks on a regular basis.

Liked Munyard too, and Stevie Lee was ordinary.

From what I've seen in the past 2 quarters in Scheer makes me think she will be the difference this season going forward.

Phillips might get it more, but Scheer reminds me of McLeod in the way they're just 1 step ahead of everyone else (so yeah, the Darren Jarman comparison is probably more apt. Same footy smarts, not as fast as Bunji)
Scheer was huge in this game. I think she’s more comparable to a Voss. Not the quickest but has plenty of upper body strength and just knows how to find the ball and knows how to position herself against her opponent. Definitely a natural footy talent!

Game should have been over at quarter time. Painful some of the opportunities we constantly burnt

Should have won that game by 6-8 goals. Umpires torched as at every opportunity.

Regardless good to get the points away from home against good oppo. Move on and hopefully get some home games.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

View attachment 1062274

I still can’t work out who to blame for that Munyard moment, Woodland standing right next to Munyard looking at the opposition players not telling Munyard to hold or is it Munyard’s total lack of awareness, both can each cop some of it. One of the worst brain fart moments I’ve seen in football.
They were both at fault, mainly for lack of communication. Woodland I think got in the way, but perhaps she wanted Munyard to go back and kick a set shot? Munyard thought she was in the clear and decided to go for a run...comedy ensues.

View attachment 1062274

You can see Erin saying stop. Chose to ignore Erin.

Important win for our season. Can't rely on the AFLW scheduling us against crap teams for the remainder of the season so we need to snag wins against genuine opposition.

Still plenty of things to work on though. Right now I would not want to face Fremantle, Melbourne or Collingwood in a final, but feel we could probably beat the others.

Need to get a home game against a better Vic side then play someone like Geelong away

Good to get the win in the end - made it tougher than it needed to be but a good performance all round. Brisbane are a genuinely good side based on what I saw today, it's not just that they've played junk teams. Their pressure on the ball carrier is immense.

The umpiring was pretty awful. So many nothing calls!

That was Woodland's best game for us so far, shame about her set shots though. I thought that was easily Eloise Jones' best game for the year as well. Probably true for several players really, Ang Foley and Marinoff especially. And obviously Phillips, absolute class. She was the difference between the two sides.

Scheer is going to be one hell of a player if she can keep her body right. She's got to be the most natural footballer on our list.

Our side is doing alright. I have a feeling that we're going to look back at the Freo loss in a similar way that other teams looked back at losses against us in 2019. They just seem a class above everyone else at the moment. Hopefully there is still enough time for the wheels to fall off!

Scheer was huge in this game. I think she’s more comparable to a Voss. Not the quickest but has plenty of upper body strength and just knows how to find the ball and knows how to position herself against her opponent. Definitely a natural footy talent!
If she stays fit she'll be the best player in the game in 2 years.

Thought Munyard played okay on debut
Ponter needs to be dropped
I bloody hope Munyard doesn’t get dropped off the back of this game, they have a bad habit of being flippant with the youth.

Ponter isn’t getting the best out of herself with this Darwin living situation, and she’s also playing far too slow & lackadaisical as a forward. She desperately needs a prod to get her going in the right direction again maybe look to move her back to half back, let her run around loose and use her skills in more space.

Can’t play Thompson up the field with the efforts she’s put in the last 2 weeks, she’s playing far too hesitant and irresponsible all over the ground. Experienced players on the ground continue to get away with half efforts and choosing to/not compete on occasions. Hard on Forth who’s been a great person since coming over but have no idea why she was brought in or what she was meant to be doing out there today, dragging opponents away from play?

It also has to be time for Najwa Allen to be played as a midfielder, she’s not a defender, got lost again running back to goal after her forward like she was running in treacle. She wasn’t alone as the mids still looked lost on transition again with only the defence high line holding up and the heat taking the speed from the Brisbane players in the last stopping that from costing more goals.

It really was a vintage Crows women’s performance in a lot of ways this time against the odds in what looked improbable pre-match after last weeks effort, only way they were going to win this match was through sheer weight of numbers with forward 50s and they just got Brisbane like Freo did last week to the Crows on the hop. Another thing that played into the Crows hands that was actually a weakness and costly against the tactics and forward line makeup Freo had last week was that really aggressive high defensive line the Crows defenders play which sucked the tall Brisbane forwards up the ground at stages and meant they weren’t able to use that marking strength of their’s all the time when they did get it inside 50.

Thought Chloe Sheer was amazing 2nd game back, to play that role up the ground with a smallish fitness base is as radiojake likened her very Darren Jarmen-esque, had doubts about her ability to comeback from a 2nd reco both mentally and physically, almost all dispelled after today.

Marinoff to come into the season with the fitness she has this season is commendable, a lot of players wilting late in the heat but she was able to keep going all game and had so many important moments late.

Special mention to Eloise Jones who is a free spirit on field and while sometimes she found herself in a bad matchup on O’Dwyer who influenced Brisbane’s play a lot, EJ still managed to be so creative and a real nuisance for Brisbane, her performance was very similar to games I saw her play at under 18s level in a similar position up and back down the ground.

For all those efforts the old guard of Sarah Allan and *Ange Foley saved the day in that last quarter, Allan’s running down of Lions forward entries against her opponents was lionhearted to say the least, awe inspiring efforts also considering that Brisbane sun 😜.

Last edited:
I bloody hope Munyard doesn’t get dropped off the back of this game, they have a bad habit of being flippant with the youth.

Ponter isn’t getting the best out of herself with this Darwin living situation, and she’s also playing far too slow & lackadaisical as a forward. She desperately needs a prod to get her going in the right direction again maybe look to move her back to half back, let her run around loose and use her skills in more space.

Can’t play Thompson up the field with the efforts she’s put in the last 2 weeks, she’s playing far too hesitant and irresponsible all over the ground. Experienced players on the ground continue to get away with half efforts and choosing to/not compete on occasions. Hard on Forth who’s been a great person since coming over but have no idea why she was brought in or what she was meant to be doing out there today, dragging opponents away from play?

It also has to be time for Najwa Allen to be played as a midfielder, she’s not a defender, got lost again running back to goal after her forward like she was running in treacle. She wasn’t alone as the mids still looked lost on transition again with only the defence high line holding up and the heat taking the speed from the Brisbane players in the last stopping that from costing more goals.

It really was a vintage Crows women’s performance in a lot of ways this time against the odds in what looked improbable pre-match after last weeks effort, only way they were going to win this match was through sheer weight of numbers with forward 50s and they just got Brisbane like Freo did last week to the Crows on the hop. Another thing that played into the Crows hands that was actually a weakness and costly against the tactics and forward line makeup Freo had last week was that really aggressive high defensive line the Crows defenders play which sucked the tall Brisbane forwards up the ground at stages and meant they weren’t able to use that marking strength of there’s all the time when they did get it inside 50.

Thought Chloe Sheer was amazing 2nd game back, to play that role up the ground with a smallish fitness base is as radiojake likened her very Darren Jarmen-esque, had doubts about her ability to comeback from a 2nd reco both mentally and physically, almost all dispelled after today.

Marinoff to come into the season with the fitness she has this season is commendable, a lot of players wilting late in the heat but she was able to keep going all game and had so many important moments late.

Special mention to Eloise Jones who is a free spirit on field and while sometimes she found herself in a bad matchup on O’Dwyer who influenced Brisbane’s play a lot, EJ still managed to be so creative and a real nuisance for Brisbane, her performance was very similar to games I saw her play at under 18s level in a similar position up and back down the ground.

For all those efforts the old guard of Sarah Allan and Jess Foley saved the day in that last quarter, Allan’s running down of Lions forward entries against her opponents was lionhearted to say the least, awe inspiring efforts also considering that Brisbane sun 😜.
Ange Foley.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back