Cancelled
Crime Board Sleuth BeanCoiNFT Investor
Oct 15, 2004
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Richmond
Leon Davis has his say. Makes for grim reading.

This is at the heart of the entire issue...

"“It’s the same with our history and Australian history. What has happened to our people from settlement that hasn’t been dealt with, that hasn’t been rectified. We haven’t had our cultural healing. On a lesser scale with Collingwood, that hasn’t been rectified.

“Until you fix what happened with the past and you make right this environment of systemic racism, this ignorance, this white privilege, I don’t think it’s going to change. With the review, you can’t put things in place moving forward if you can’t deal with the past.”"

What can be done that will fix the problems of the past? It seems 'we've' tried everything but nothing's changed, the attitude of us against them, and vice versa, hasn't improved. IMO what has to change is that there's not an 'us' and a 'them' and the change has to come from BOTH sides. We can't change the past but we can change the future.

PS. In my first job, a guy abused me (for something I didn't do) and I walked. I wasn't going to put up with abuse just for money. He'd been there for years and was experienced while I'd been there for months, so it was pretty clear who the boss would back. Anyone who is aggrieved has a duty to act on it when it happens, not years later once the money's in your pocket.

Seadog

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 16, 2004
WA
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
West Perth, West Ham

"“It’s the same with our history and Australian history. What has happened to our people from settlement that hasn’t been dealt with, that hasn’t been rectified. We haven’t had our cultural healing. On a lesser scale with Collingwood, that hasn’t been rectified.

“Until you fix what happened with the past and you make right this environment of systemic racism, this ignorance, this white privilege, I don’t think it’s going to change. With the review, you can’t put things in place moving forward if you can’t deal with the past.”"

What can be done that will fix the problems of the past? It seems 'we've' tried everything but nothing's changed, the attitude of us against them, and vice versa, hasn't improved. IMO what has to change is that there's not an 'us' and a 'them' and the change has to come from BOTH sides. We can't change the past but we can change the future.

PS. In my first job, a guy abused me (for something I didn't do) and I walked. I wasn't going to put up with abuse just for money. He'd been there for years and was experienced while I'd been there for months, so it was pretty clear who the boss would back. Anyone who is aggrieved has a duty to act on it when it happens, not years later once the money's in your pocket.
If every aboriginal player walked over racism we would never have got to see some of the champions of the game.
Walking from some s**t job because you didn't like a false accusation doesn't equate to being abused and victimized because of your skin colour, 99% of the time a black player would have walked straight into the same racism at the next club he went to, if any club would take him after word got around that he was "soft".
You have no understanding of the power imbalance of being the "other" amongst the 60-70 players and staff at a football club.
If Leon had of stopped playing footy because of racism that would of showed those racists hey.

Apr 22, 2007
Bentleigh
AFL Club
Geelong
Wh
That’s really upsetting and articulated really well by Leon.
It’s manipulated through media that all First Nation people kick up stink with their hand out.
99% of first people just want an Australia where their children aren’t treated like they were.
The past is the past but we need a better future.
The best way to do that is through primary school education teaching the true history of this country.
what Is the true history

Jul 23, 2018
AFL Club
Essendon

Good question and point. Leon says 'until you fix what happened with the past'. It is literally impossible for anyone to change the past. You can acknowledge the past and any wrongdoings, genuinely apologise, and commit to doing things right in the future. But you cant change it. On Leons experience specifically, which was pretty terrible reading, how about the players that filled out that player profile put their hand up, publicly acknowledge that it was them that did it and genuinely apologise. Thats how you can start building a bridge and changing it from 'us' against 'them' mentality, to genuine equality. With Heritiers situation i think he hasn't been acknowledged at all from the people at Collingwood who could genuinely make a difference. I think this could be down to legal issues as i believe Lumumba is currently suing the club? But for Buckley to deny everything and publicly put it down to Heritiers mental healh, Eddie trying to buy his silence with a life membership, those things don't just fix the past. You've gotta be genuine in your apology and commitment to change, and most people can see through it if its not genuine.

Jun 12, 2018
AFL Club
Fremantle
Wh
what Is the true history
When I was a kid I was taught that Australia was unsettled until Europeans.
That indigenous were uncivilised nomadic and were classified more as native fauna.
These were claimed and ingrained because even back then you could only claim land that was unclaimed.
Modern research of old diary’s,journals and letters of some European explorers illustrate a complete different picture.
Not only were indigenous Australians civilised they were quite sophisticated in sustainable farming practices, trading, building and relationships(no inbreeding like the English royals) and worked in unison with nature.
That’s why they sustained a culture for 40,000 years.

Apr 22, 2007
Bentleigh
AFL Club
Geelong
When I was a kid I was taught that Australia was unsettled until Europeans.
That indigenous were uncivilised nomadic and were classified more as native fauna.
These were claimed and ingrained because even back then you could only claim land that was unclaimed.
Modern research of old diary’s,journals and letters of some European explorers illustrate a complete different picture.
Not only were indigenous Australians civilised they were quite sophisticated in sustainable farming practices, trading, building and relationships(no inbreeding like the English royals) and worked in unison with nature.
That’s why they sustained a culture for 40,000 years.
That's certainly one view yes

Jun 12, 2018
AFL Club
Fremantle
Some parts yes because it's an historical account like anything subject to debate

Do you think your account above is perfectly accurate?
Bible is accounts of accounts written over hundreds of years.
Science has proven parts of it to be more mythical then fact.
The accounts I’m talking about are first hand in their own writing at the time of witnessed by multiple Europeans from a couple hundred years ago.
There has been physical evidence discovered of milled flour bunkers, pickled animal remains have been found many accounts in WA of broad acre farming.
Why would people of the time make it up there’s nothing to gain.
Why would people hide all these accounts and teach a different narrative ?
Free land, heroism, guilt!

sprockets

Cancelled
Oct 15, 2004
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Richmond
If every aboriginal player walked over racism we would never have got to see some of the champions of the game.
Walking from some sh*t job because you didn't like a false accusation doesn't equate to being abused and victimized because of your skin colour, 99% of the time a black player would have walked straight into the same racism at the next club he went to, if any club would take him after word got around that he was "soft".
You have no understanding of the power imbalance of being the "other" amongst the 60-70 players and staff at a football club.
If Leon had of stopped playing footy because of racism that would of showed those racists hey.
OR maybe stick up for yourself on the spot rather than wait years? Leon didn't need to walk at all but he could have done something or spoken up there and then and it may have prevented any further trouble. Maybe he did.

BTW you made a lot of assumptions in that post.

Brad Goodman

His name isn't important
Oct 7, 2002
AFL Club
Collingwood
OR maybe stick up for yourself on the spot rather than wait years? Leon didn't need to walk at all but he could have done something or spoken up there and then and it may have prevented any further trouble. Maybe he did.

An 18 year old small town kid on the other side of the country, away from his friends and family. I don’t think we can be too critical of him not speaking up at the time.

Jun 4, 2005
Putney
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Collingwood

The article states he did bring it up, as the fallout from making it known that he had an issue was the most difficult part.

Pies have come a long way from what the club was like under McAllister and L.Matthews in 90s, then Malthouse (when Leon and H arrived) to where it is now.

We are already doing better, but have a long way to go.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

sprockets

Cancelled
Oct 15, 2004
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Richmond
An 18 year old small town kid on the other side of the country, away from his friends and family. I don’t think we can be too critical of him not speaking up at the time.
I'm not being critical of Leon. His duty was to bring it up at the time and apparently he did. Was he forceful enough? Perhaps not but yes I get the point that some people are more timid than others. If the issue continued he had to take more drastic action IMO.
The article states he did bring it up, as the fallout from making it known that he had an issue was the most difficult part.

Pies have come a long way from what the club was like under McAllister and L.Matthews in 90s, then Malthouse (when Leon and H arrived) to where it is now.

We are already doing better, but have a long way to go.

Roby

Cancelled
10k Posts
Jul 27, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Exactly how i felt lol

What kind of sad person trawls posts and taking note of who likes them?

You liked this post:

Yep, these reports are always conducted by leftist activists who are intent on highlighting incidents and magnifying them out of all proportion. The moment you hear the term "systemic racism" you know what to expect.

There's obviously been a problem or two over the years but why we need to carry on as though Collingwood indoctrinate their players into a culture of racism, I have no idea.

This post was and is inaccurate. And is definitely tone deaf but please elaborate if you think otherwise.

Kozzie_Magic

Senior List
Nov 7, 2020
Bigfooty t/as Aust Antifa - Endorsed by chief
AFL Club
Melbourne
You liked this post:

This post was and is inaccurate. And is definitely tone deaf but please elaborate if you think otherwise.

That's your opinion, and just your opinion.

Typical leftie, hasn't got an actual argument that makes any sense at all so relies on terms such as 'tone deaf'

Please reply again, you're providing us all with free entertainment

Can someone legit tell me why it's now First Nations? What's the PC way of saying these days, I don't want to make a mistake

"
Nation definition, a large body of people, associated with a particular territory, that is sufficiently conscious of its unity to seek or to possess a government peculiarly its own
"

Really confused at the rewriting of history that goes on.
It's a matter of preference or whatever comes to mind, isn't it?

Tbonefreo

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 13, 2013
Wagga
AFL Club
Fremantle
Changing the term from indigenous or aboriginal to first nations is rewriting history?

What did you think of the Leon Davis article published this morning about his experiences at Collingwood?
He means nation is the incorrect term. Nothing racist about that

Remove this Banner Ad

Back