Martin going to the Swans?

Remove this Banner Ad

I’m talking in 100 years like the Swans dude said. Can anyone here name the norm Smith/grand final award equivalent winner for the 1921 grand final?

I can name the first person to win three Brownlow medals--- Haydn Bunton and that's without the 1930's-40''s having the media content that we have today. His name gets mentioned EVERY year during the Brownlow medal telecast.

In the same way that Andrew McLeod & Luke Hodge had been mentioned every year when discussing the Brownlow medal favourite. That discussion will now be Dustin Martin. Until someone wins 4 Norm Smith medals, players GF performances will be compared to Dusty.

In a century from now people will still be talking about Buddy, while Martin will have long since been forgotten about.
You and Buddha should get a room together and a slab of Victoria Bitter!

Good clickbait.

Martin will be 31 at the end of 2022, not 26 like Franklin was in 2013.

If he was out of contract and an unrestricted free agent having played 10+ years then he'd be worth a punt on maybe a 4/5 year deal assuming he's playing at the level he is now with the same durability. Richmond aren't giving up 2 years of prime/late prime Martin for nothing, so Sydney (or anyone else) would still have to come up with a good trade package and a fat long term contract for a guy in his 30s. Bold strategy, Cotton.

I’m talking in 100 years like the Swans dude said. Can anyone here name the norm Smith/grand final award equivalent winner for the 1921 grand final?

Exactly, and while I am sure having video footage will help keep these players in the public consciousness will somewhat help just think of all the players that played in the 80's that have basically already been forgotten. It isn't hard to believe that in a few decades time only 1% of players who played in the 80's will be remembered or known by the average football fan, and that number will get lower with every passing year.

Take for example Haydn Bunton Sr. This guy is a triple Brownlow medal winner (31, 32, 35) but until I looked him up I have never heard of him.

Not to mention Ivor Warne-Smith who is a duel Brownlow medal winner, as is Dick Reynolds and Bill Hutchison. These guys were once greats of the game and for the most part have been largely forgotten by history.

If they have a few high quality youngsters coming through then giving Richmond their first pick for a couple of years isn't going to hurt them that much, they'll get to pick up their academy players anyway
Prefer he goes to the other mob to be honest.
They have a tiger grandson.

Sydney took Maurice Rioli,was on suicide row after that then the Lockett fiasco now trying to poach Dusty.

Eff off and develop your own Swans!

Just like how Richmond developed Dion Prestia, Tom Lynch and Toby Nankervis? Oh that's right they didn't, they were developed by interstate clubs.

Prefer he goes to the other mob to be honest.
They have a tiger grandson.
It's how it goes, a team offered millions more and the player gets homesick.

The real win for Richmond here would be for the Martin story to be kept quiet until later in the trade period, Richmond trade their first round picks to Carlton for Cripps and then get two way better first round picks for Martin.

In 100 years from now will we care? Nope, we'll be dead. Will AFL still be around? Doubt it, PCness will see to that.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Without looking it up though how many premierships, Norm Smiths, All Australians and B&F's did Polly Farmer win?

Ok, excluding those forgettable premierships and individual awards that no-one who follows football care about, Dusty will still be remembered for his haircut and neck tatts.

You mention Buddy will be remembered though...what attributes will he be remembered for?

Imagine what they would be saying about Buddy’s career if he stayed at the Hawks. Five time premiership player. Just couldn’t get the team success at his new club.

I’d love Dusty to stay a one club player.
But if the Swans were to offer him a 5 year contract once his Richmond one expires, I wouldn’t begrudge him.

Would always be seen as a Richmond player, like Buddy will be looked back on as a Hawk.

Great example of yokel AFL supporters. Buddy in Sydney is a bigger than AFL footy.

Ok, excluding those forgettable premierships and individual awards that no-one who follows football care about, Dusty will still be remembered for his haircut and neck tatts.

You mention Buddy will be remembered though...what attributes will he be remembered for?
Probably the years either side of him kicking 100 goals in a season where someone else did it.

In 100 years from now will we care? Nope, we'll be dead. Will AFL still be around? Doubt it, PCness will see to that.

It is an interesting discussion though, wondering which players will be known 100 years from now.

I mean look at someone like Tom Hawkins, great player, no doubt about it, won premierships, kicked plenty of goals, consistently in the top 5 best key forwards of the last 15 years or so, but to me Tom Hawkins won't be well known in 100 years. I mean does anyone remember the 4th or 5th best key forward of the 1930's?

We also see that midfielders seem to be more easily forgotten than key forwards as well, and defenders basically have no hope of being remembered long term. I think the era between 2010 and 2020 history will remember 1, maybe 2 players, and I think Buddy will be one of them simply because he was the best key forward of that period and his name is top 5 in the goal kicking tally.

People remember players from 80, 90, 100 years ago because they were amazing players, but no one remembers the details. Someone like Polly Farmer was a great player, everyone knows that, but most people would not remember if he won 0 premierships or if he won 7. It ultimately does not matter to the legacy of Polly Farmer.

lol, im not sure who exactly is trying to get some publicity out of this. i doubt sydney are going to give 10 years and 10 million to a guy who will be 34 in the first season he plays for them.

reckon carr just sees the writing on the wall that his biggest cash cow is coming towards the end of his career and is trying to attract the next one by going 'look at how much money i can get for you'

individual winners nope. but i think multiple winners will last that much longer, especially when you have someone who sits clear at the top. the 'most ever' of a thing types tend to get remembered.

Exactly, and while I am sure having video footage will help keep these players in the public consciousness will somewhat help just think of all the players that played in the 80's that have basically already been forgotten. It isn't hard to believe that in a few decades time only 1% of players who played in the 80's will be remembered or known by the average football fan, and that number will get lower with every passing year.

Take for example Haydn Bunton Sr. This guy is a triple Brownlow medal winner (31, 32, 35) but until I looked him up I have never heard of him.

Not to mention Ivor Warne-Smith who is a duel Brownlow medal winner, as is Dick Reynolds and Bill Hutchison. These guys were once greats of the game and for the most part have been largely forgotten by history.

Incomparable. The sport wasnt as big back then. And the national exposure / coverage via media wasnt anywhere near as big or accessible.

Last edited:
People remember players from 80, 90, 100 years ago because they were amazing players, but no one remembers the details. Someone like Polly Farmer was a great player, everyone knows that, but most people would not remember if he won 0 premierships or if he won 7. It ultimately does not matter to the legacy of Polly Farmer.

It absolutely matters to the legacy, premierships in particular matter to the legacy a player leaves. Being a great player is one thing, being a great player who significantly contributes to premierships is on a whole other level.

It absolutely matters to the legacy, premierships in particular matter to the legacy a player leaves. Being a great player is one thing, being a great player who significantly contributes to premierships is on a whole other level.

It really doesn't. Tony Lockett will likely be the guy remembered from the 1980's in 2080 and he didn't win a single premiership.

In a century from now people will still be talking about Buddy, while Martin will have long since been forgotten about.
So people will forget the first and only player to date to have won three Norm Smiths :rolleyesv1: .

People who never saw them play can reel off Bunton, Reynolds, Skilton and Stewart because it's passed down that they are the only four to have won three Brownlows.

People know of Pratt because he was the first of only two players who has kicked 150 goals in a season.

People know the names of those who kicked 1000 goals over a career such as Coventry, Lockett, Dunstall, Ablett snr and Wade.

Hard for anyone to remember the winner of an award that didn't exist back then. B&Fs weren't even awarded back then.

ps. The Age listed Norm McIntosh (Richmond) as their leading best player in the 1921 GF.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back