Who at your club could be AA for the first time in 2021?

Remove this Banner Ad

In 2013 many Eagles fans (and others) thought Eric Mackenzie was better than Scott Thompson (and by some margin), yet Thompson was selected for the All Australian team.
So it seems like comeuppance that North fans are now decrying Tarrant has been unlucky to miss out (which there is merit in that argument).
It's probably how dismissive of Mackenzie that North fans were at the time that rankled me.

I have zero memory of that so will take your word for it.

Zac Bailey, take it to the bank.

Cerra and Grabner
If grabner gets the nod it will go a long way to moving us up the ladder.
Taberner. Most Coleman medalists get that FF spot.

Brawshaw, Cerra or Serong having a midfield breakout to AA would be a huge achievment. Perhaps Pearce or Hamling could make it when playing a full season at their best. But both are coming back from serious injuries...
Cerra and Brayshaw Look possible once Freo make finals again.

Serong Maybe. I can see Sean Darcy get one if he is good enough.

Breakout chance: Worpel.
Best for our side: O'Meara.

If O'Meara is an All Australian I'd suggest we've surprised everybody and either made or just missed finals. Don't have hope for either happening though.

I don’t barrack for Geelong but I’ll nominate Gary Rohan.

Big time player that steps in the big games.

Bailey Williams. Champion Data rated him the most improved player in 2020 by far. Won the most improved award at the Dogs and finished 5th in our best and fairest after previously being in and out of the side for the last few years. He's improved out of sight, to the point I'd rate him as one of our most important players. Statistically, he had a very similar season to Jayden Short, who was very unlucky to not be AA himself.

The other option would be Josh Dunkley, who has previously been in the squad in 2019, before having an injury-interrupted 2020. This relies on him being given sufficient midfield minutes this year, but if he does, I'd be fairly confident in him at least making the squad again, if not the actual team.

Totally agree with the Freo posters above, Cerra most likely as a debutante, Tabbs a possibility if he's fit and firing but the one I reckon would make a massive difference to our team would be Lobb.
Tabbs is definitely more of a chance for AA, if he could just hold his form from last year and Lobb makes the step up that he's shown glimpses of would pretty much solve our main deficiency.
Lobb almost has all the tools, very mobile and was 3rd in the AFL in contested marks in 2020 (behind Dixon at 1 and Tabbs at 2 ! ) with incredibly sticky hands. He just needs more consistency both within games and week to week - as well as sorting out his stutter run set shot routine.

As an athletic 206cm forward / relief ruck he could sneak into AA and be a huge bonus for the Dockers if he fires this year.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Luke McDonald and/or Jye Simpkin

Bailey Williams. Champion Data rated him the most improved player in 2020 by far. Won the most improved award at the Dogs and finished 5th in our best and fairest after previously being in and out of the side for the last few years. He's improved out of sight, to the point I'd rate him as one of our most important players. Statistically, he had a very similar season to Jayden Short, who was very unlucky to not be AA himself.

The other option would be Josh Dunkley, who has previously been in the squad in 2019, before having an injury-interrupted 2020. This relies on him being given sufficient midfield minutes this year, but if he does, I'd be fairly confident in him at least making the squad again, if not the actual team.

In terms of the most improved CD rankings I wonder where Ridley placed? I like Williams, really good player.

In terms of the most improved CD rankings I wonder where Ridley placed? I like Williams, really good player.
He was actually 5th, with Mitch Hannan, Will Setterfield and Josh Daicos ahead. Daicos I'd rate right up there but I was surprised by the other two being higher. On the eye test, I'd definitely have had Williams, Ridley and Daicos as the big three improvers this year

He was actually 5th, with Mitch Hannan, Will Setterfield and Josh Daicos ahead. Daicos I'd rate right up there but I was surprised by the other two being higher. On the eye test, I'd definitely have had Williams, Ridley and Daicos as the big three improvers this year

If Mitch Hannan was one of the most improved players in the league last year, he must have had a terrible 2019 as his 2020 was pretty damn ordinary.

From Freo my money would be on Matt Taberner or Alex Pearce.

If Mitch Hannan was one of the most improved players in the league last year, he must have had a terrible 2019 as his 2020 was pretty damn ordinary.
Pretty much yeah - it's purely based on the player's previous form, so a dogshit player becoming average can mean they feature high on this list. Hannan and Setterfield would be outliers for that top 5

Daniel Rich and Hugh McCluggage.

Rich seems to be continually overlooked despite doing everything a halfback needs to do, very, very well. Maybe now he has entered his 30's and he pushes towards 250 games he might get more recognition, especially if Brisbane go deep again this year.

Clugga has been in the squad the last two years without cracking the 22. However he may be spending more time inside this year rather than on the wing. Could work in his favour or against him. Selectors might continue to view him as a winger for the rest of his career?

Are these the same CD rankings that rate Mason Cox as an elite forward but none of Lynch, Kennedy, reiwoldt, Franklin or Cameron? The winners of 12 of the last 15 Coleman medals...

Remove this Banner Ad

Back