Prediction 2021 Best 22

Remove this Banner Ad

I think you've overlooked Chugg who was playing senior Tassie footy in 2020 unless I'm mistaken. From reports, his preseason will have him in contention. Might be competing for that 7th defender role.
Chugg definitely a smokey.

I'd even have Macrae as a possibility. On the other wing.

I think you've overlooked Chugg who was playing senior Tassie footy in 2020 unless I'm mistaken. From reports, his preseason will have him in contention. Might be competing for that 7th defender role.
Any depth for spots is good, I hope he at least makes some guys in the first team nervous. I’d be pretty stunned if a 19 year old who has only played in the Tassie league gets an immediate run in the AFL.

Hopefully Adams' set back is only minor and he lines up for round one.

I don't think round one will yield too many surprises. Our Victorian draftees have barely played any competitive footy in the last 18 months and so should be eased in through the VFL. The one drafted exception to me is Beau McCreery who played SANFL last year and the year before. Hopefully he can come in and play and kick a goal a game and be a good pressure source like Butler and Papley were early on in their careers. I'd much prefer we put games into McCreery rather than the known Thomas and C Brown who just aren't any good up forward.

B: Brayden Maynard - Jordan Roughead - Jeremy Howe
HB: Jack Crisp - Darcy Moore - Isaac Quaynor
C: Josh Daicos - Taylor Adams - Tyler Brown
HF: Jordan De Goey - Brody Mihocek - Jamie Elliott
F: Beau McCreery - Mason Cox - Will Kelly
R: Brodie Grundy - Scott Pendlebury - Steele Sidebottom
I: Will Hoskin-Elliott - Levi Greenwood - John Noble - Brayden Sier

E: Trey Ruscoe - Jack Madgen - Darcy Cameron - Chris Mayne

A fully fit side could be very competitive, however injuries will be very tough to cover.

The bold is spot on! That 22 -26 has the tools and talent to again be a damaging side and we will again be crossing our fingers that the injury curse is kind to us this year.

For mine I would love to see Ruscoe get a nod ahead of WHE, or at least force him to perform at risk of losing his spot. While I really like Will and what he can offer, we can't afford to carry him at the expense of a young guy like Trey, if he isn't performing. We don't have many 190cm+ forwards so we can't stunt the development of the ones we do have and carry "2020 WHE", Will needs to be performing well enough to keep a Ruscoe or Henry out of the side and not the other way round.

Also spot on with McCreery, aside from a gun KPF a speedy, pressure forward is the biggest hole for us. Hopefully they give him a crack at making the position his and not dropping him after 1-2 quiet games like they did Atu. Yes he'll have ups and downs but I'd like to see them back him and let him play every game he can in 2021, same mentality for Kelly.

I think the boat has sailed on that one.
Yeah well Buckley is probably gone at the years end then we will see.

If we want to win games we need to fix our forward line. Not writing off Kelly as he is a good prospect but in the short term he is much more likely to contribute to a successful side playing in defence as it is an easier role

If we want to win games we need to fix our forward line. Not writing off Kelly as he is a good prospect but in the short term he is much more likely to contribute to a successful side playing in defence as it is an easier role
I don't know about this. Moore is a totally crucial part of our backline (evidenced by his AA jacket), and I really don't know if it's worth messing with our best group for the sake of Moore maybe panning out as a forward.

I don't know about this. Moore is a totally crucial part of our backline (evidenced by his AA jacket), and I really don't know if it's worth messing with our best group for the sake of Moore maybe panning out as a forward.
End of the day we will struggle to make the 8 with this forward line. We need to be able to score to win games of football.

Last year 13th for points scored while conceding the third fewest.

From that forward mix we will lose DeGoey and Stevo who were our equal second highest goal kickers with 14 each.

We simply must address this issue of we will just fade into irrelevance

Or Moore will crack the sads at being moved from what’s become his favorite position and exercise his FA rights at the end of 2022 so he can get to a team prepared to play him defence. No more or less realistic than your hypothetical.

Or Moore will crack the sads at being moved from what’s become his favorite position and exercise his FA rights at the end of 2022 so he can get to a team prepared to play him defence. No more or less realistic than your hypothetical.

I only threw the Buckley thing out there as it is a change the would only come about with the change of coach

Our back 7 is probably our best line, let’s not mess with it too much. I’d like to see some speed and pressure forwards not Callum brown or JT. Some fresh meat who are desperate and will fight for every Possession. Let’s see what we’ve got in the next gen. WHE, JT, etc.... great back up but it’s 2010 time again. The new kids taking the spots of the old guard. Sidey, Blair, Beams coming in for Tarks and friends.

Our back 7 is probably our best line, let’s not mess with it too much. I’d like to see some speed and pressure forwards not Callum brown or JT. Some fresh meat who are desperate and will fight for every Possession. Let’s see what we’ve got in the next gen. WHE, JT, etc.... great back up but it’s 2010 time again. The new kids taking the spots of the old guard. Sidey, Blair, Beams coming in for Tarks and friends.
But in 2010 we had Cloke and Dawes with Jack Anthony putting the pressure on

Treloar will smash us round 1

Won't even play. I think if your missing three weeks of training for a calf injury, its more then just a strain, and unfortunately for Ad's his soft tissue history isn't anything to write home about, so l doubt they risk him straight up. Ironic he didn't play round 1 last year for us against the Dogs, and will miss round 1 this time playing for the Dogs.

Those saying their mids will smash us, well last year when we won by 52 points, the Dogs midfield contained all the guns, except for Libber, and our best performed mids were Adams, Sidey, Pendles, Mayne and Grundy dominated.

This season DeGoey may well be in the midfield more, we may see Rantall been given an opportunity first up, eventhough McCrae could well come in over the top of him and play straight away. With Daicos also, he may play more as a clearance player in the midfield, then the outside run on the wing. Obviously has the skills to be a terrific player inside heavy congested/contested traffic in the midfield. Tyler and Callum Brown play a role here as well. Either could play as a starting mid, but Tyler seems to me to have the more clearance ability as a mid. We saw his ability in traffic on a few occasions last season. Plus Sier is the wildcard. Can he stay focused and fit, if so he then becomes a genuine first picked mid every week. I think we are ok for midfield depth.

If we do want DeGoey more midfield, which l think is the plan, then Kelly and McCreery come in to play forward alongside Mihocek, Cox, Elliott and Thomas. WHE l would like to see play a roaming role between wing and HFF. McCreery could become an important factor, if the talk about his high pressure inside F50 comes to fruition.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Won't even play. I think if your missing three weeks of training for a calf injury, its more then just a strain, and unfortunately for Ad's his soft tissue history isn't anything to write home about, so l doubt they risk him straight up. Ironic he didn't play round 1 last year for us against the Dogs, and will miss round 1 this time playing for the Dogs.

Those saying their mids will smash us, well last year when we won by 52 points, the Dogs midfield contained all the guns, except for Libber, and our best performed mids were Adams, Sidey, Pendles, Mayne and Grundy dominated.

This season DeGoey may well be in the midfield more, we may see Rantall been given an opportunity first up, eventhough McCrae could well come in over the top of him and play straight away. With Daicos also, he may play more as a clearance player in the midfield, then the outside run on the wing. Obviously has the skills to be a terrific player inside heavy congested/contested traffic in the midfield. Tyler and Callum Brown play a role here as well. Either could play as a starting mid, but Tyler seems to me to have the more clearance ability as a mid. We saw his ability in traffic on a few occasions last season. Plus Sier is the wildcard. Can he stay focused and fit, if so he then becomes a genuine first picked mid every week. I think we are ok for midfield depth.

If we do want DeGoey more midfield, which l think is the plan, then Kelly and McCreery come in to play forward alongside Mihocek, Cox, Elliott and Thomas. WHE l would like to see play a roaming role between wing and HFF. McCreery could become an important factor, if the talk about his high pressure inside F50 comes to fruition.
I posted this weeks ago...before he was injured .

Given we're what, 26 odd days away from playing the Dogs, here's my almost final prediction on how we'll line up. Basically off of Jens training reports and the scratch match writeups, lol.

FB: Jeremy Howe - Jordan Roughead - Brayden Maynard
C: John Noble - Jordan De Goey - Josh Daicos
HF: Jamie Elliott - Brody Mihocek - Steele Sidebottom
FF: Trey Ruscoe - Mason Cox - Beau McCreery
FOLL: Brodie Grundy - Scott Pendlebury - Taylor Adams
INT: Brayden Sier - Nathan Murphy - Callum Brown - Jack Madgen

Given we're what, 26 odd days away from playing the Dogs, here's my almost final prediction on how we'll line up. Basically off of Jens training reports and the scratch match writeups, lol.

Adams to miss with injury?

Maybe greenwood plays ?

I like it. But I don't think Bucks will leave Mayne out to be honest.

At this stage, reckon WHE, Greenwood, Thomas and Mayne get picked ahead of the likes of Ruscoe, McCreery, Murphy and Madgen?

No room for the Twin Towers strategy by chucking in Cameron?

I reckon Jens training reports and the scratch matches will tell you who is going to get a chance to press for the round one spot in the Richmond practice match. I think we are trying for a 6Q match against Geelong and reports say they will try and give everyone three quarters. Given that match will therefore contain 40 players from each list and lots of youngsters it wont be full intensity. But it will tell us who is in line for a spot in the main preccie match. All the pre season performance wont mean anything much if they don't perform against Geelong.

You would think the Richmond game will be close to full on. Youngsteers pushing for a spot really are pushing for a spot in this game as their next step. If they get that chance they will still have to perform against Rich to get round 1 selection. You would expect Mayne , Greenwood, Thomas etc to have the inside running. They should be displaced by a weight of performance by the youngsters and that will come when the younger players get the chance to string a few games together.

C: Steele Sidebottom - Scott Pendlebury - Josh Daicos
HF: Jamie Elliott - Brody Mihocek - Will Hoskin-Elliott
FF: Will Kelly - Mason Cox - Beau McCreery
FOLL: Brodie Grundy - Jordan De Goey - Taylor Adams
INT: Tyler Brown - Finlay Macrae - Levi Greenwood - Chis Mayne

C: Steele Sidebottom - Scott Pendlebury - Josh Daicos
HF: Jamie Elliott - Brody Mihocek - Will Hoskin-Elliott
FF: Will Kelly - Mason Cox - Beau McCreery
FOLL: Brodie Grundy - Jordan De Goey - Taylor Adams
INT: Tyler Brown - Finlay Macrae - Levi Greenwood - Chis Mayne
IN - Sier,Noble
OUT - Greenwood,Mayne

Maybe Mayne for Noble is was close but Greenwood is easily in the team, especially for Sier

Would be interested in your reasoning around Greenwood v Sier? Greenwood is best 22 for mine but only as a tagger, as out-and-out midfielders I'd be selecting Sier ahead of him. Could they co-exist in the same 22?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back