Martin going to the Swans?

Remove this Banner Ad

BillHickman

Stuntman
Feb 18, 2021
AFL Club
Richmond
It really doesn't. Tony Lockett will likely be the guy remembered from the 1980's in 2080 and he didn't win a single premiership.

..and would be a greater legend if he'd won a GF with the Saints in the 90's. We'll agree to disagree. In AFL, premierships are regarded above everything else.

Pretty sure Douglas Haig wouldn't have been happy with finishing second...or lower.

Nov 23, 2000
Country Victoria
AFL Club
Richmond
It's how it goes, a team offered millions more and the player gets homesick.

The real win for Richmond here would be for the Martin story to be kept quiet until later in the trade period, Richmond trade their first round picks to Carlton for Cripps and then get two way better first round picks for Martin.
Cripps?
He'll be on Freo colours.

Feb 28, 2007
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
People who never saw them play can reel off Bunton, Reynolds, Skilton and Stewart because it's passed down that they are the only four to have won three Brownlows.

See I am not so sure. I think percentage wise very few people would have heard of guys like Burton and Reynolds. Skilton a bit more, mostly because he was 40 years more recent and still alive but I could easily see him being someone that most people have not heard of in a few decades too.

I mean look at this

I am not sure about anyone else but I don't start regularly recognising names until the late 1970's. I know everyone from the mid 80's onwards, but very few from the late 70's and earlier. If it is before the 1955 you can forget about it in terms of me having heard of any of those players, and I am willing to bet there are a lot of people on this forum who are in a similar boat.

I mean look at this guy

Got a couple of Brownlows, was captain of Richmond for 2 years, in the Richmond team of the century and is in the Hall of Fame, and yet I am willing to bet a huge percentage of people would not have a clue who he was. I may be wrong, but I think he has been largely forgotten.

Nov 23, 2000
Country Victoria
AFL Club
Richmond
MGreen?
Fabulous player.
Little mentioned, sadly, but has there been a better finals Ruck?
Underated outside of the RFC.
Ironically currently Nank is of the same status yet both played major roles in our clubs dynastys

Lippy The Lion

Draftee
Feb 21, 2021
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Just all rumor. I'm pretty sure he's a happy tiger who's still on a good coin and winning flags so why move?

Aug 18, 2009
AFL Club
Richmond
People remember players from 80, 90, 100 years ago because they were amazing players, but no one remembers the details. Someone like Polly Farmer was a great player, everyone knows that, but most people would not remember if he won 0 premierships or if he won 7. It ultimately does not matter to the legacy of Polly Farmer.

When you wind the clock back beyond the current generations life-time, I think people remember record holders

Appreciating some of these have been broken ...

Michael Tuck / KB (most games & 400 club)
Tony Lockett / Gordon Coventry (most goals)
Fred Fanning (most goals in a game)

etc ...

& in future, GAJ will be remembered as most player-adjudicated MVPs

Presuming the Norm Smith stays relevant, Dusty will be remembered as long as his name comes up at #1, or at least in the top-handful of BOGs in grand finals

Not sure Buddy has any all time records of note - 1,000 goals would be a nice modern-day achievement

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sep 13, 2015
Hillary Step
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
76ers
I can name the first person to win three Brownlow medals--- Haydn Bunton and that's without the 1930's-40''s having the media content that we have today. His name gets mentioned EVERY year during the Brownlow medal telecast.

In the same way that Andrew McLeod & Luke Hodge had been mentioned every year when discussing the Brownlow medal favourite. That discussion will now be Dustin Martin. Until someone wins 4 Norm Smith medals, players GF performances will be compared to Dusty.
To be fair Buddy will be remembered in a similar way as the most recent player to kick 100 goals in a season
I wonder which will happen first - another player kicking 100, or another playing winning 3 or more norm Smith medals?

Feb 28, 2007
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
To be fair Buddy will be remembered in a similar way as the most recent player to kick 100 goals in a season
I wonder which will happen first - another player kicking 100, or another playing winning 3 or more norm Smith medals?

Norm Smith's are pretty easy to get when your team makes the Grand Final a few times and you are undoubtedly the best player of that team. Sort of like Melbourne of yesteryear and Nathan Jones.

Plus none of the Richmond Grand Finals were close. Had Martin not played they still would have won. The best Norm Smith's are the ones where the player turns the tide for his team.

Apr 6, 2008
Sydney
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Subiaco, Everton, SF 49ers
I’m talking in 100 years like the Swans dude said. Can anyone here name the norm Smith/grand final award equivalent winner for the 1921 grand final?
It's unlikely that without going to Google any more than half a dozen people here can name any player at all from 1921. And there was no equivalent to the Norm Smith medal then, or even a Grand Final as we know them in that year. So it's also unlikely that people in 2121 will remember Buddy or any other player then. It's actually a bold assumption that Aussie Rules football as we know it will even exist in 100 years .

The media obsession with this guy is disgraceful. Wouldn’t have half the medals he has if they didn’t fawn over him like they do. If he was going he would’ve gone when he re-signed
Dunno the media had a lot to do with his four goals in last years Granny
Or the fact that only one other bloke has had 20+ Poss and multiple goals in three grand finals.
...it wasn’t a saints player

Sep 13, 2015
Hillary Step
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
76ers
Norm Smith's are pretty easy to get when your team makes the Grand Final a few times and you are undoubtedly the best player of that team. Sort of like Melbourne of yesteryear and Nathan Jones.

Plus none of the Richmond Grand Finals were close. Had Martin not played they still would have won. The best Norm Smith's are the ones where the player turns the tide for his team.
I’m not sure it’s very easy to win 3 of them. Only one player has done it in the 40 year history of the award.

As for your last point, you can’t really take away from a player for their teammates being good enough to not need them. What you’re essentially saying is if Richmond overall performed slightly worse, Martins achievements would be better.

KeilorUnder9s

Benclank01 Disciple
Nov 25, 2010
Jamestown
AFL Club
Richmond

You have a selective memory. You don’t reckon Martin “turned the tide” for us in 2020. But you probably didn’t watch the GF without the Swans in the game...

dean33

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 10, 2007
melb
AFL Club
Richmond

Hmmm 2 pt lead at 3/4 time and kicks 2 goals in the last to will his team over the line.
Pretty average really...

Back