Grand Slam Australian Open - Mens Final

Novak or Danill

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

It really did feel like he didn’t miss a thing from the baseline. He was unbelievable, just a rock. And he was hitting huge too. It was definitely one of his greatest performances ever .
He was dialed in tonight, I would say he was just about in the zone for him. Couple of minor hiccups, but his depth and placement on return was outrageous, his speed of rally shot was very quick and his serving was incredible.

It really did feel like he didn’t miss a thing from the baseline. He was unbelievable, just a rock. And he was hitting huge too. It was definitely one of his greatest performances ever .

Needed to be wasn’t as if Mededev was bad in the first set. The game at 5-5 was possibly the best returning game we’ve seen

Now that it is all done, was running the Aus Open worth it this year? With the amount of money that Tennis Australia has lost on it, the amount of negative publicity it attracted in some quarters, the lack of crowds (both during the 5 days and the rest of the tournament), I am not sure that it was.
From my own selfish perspective, 100% yes.

yes. The negative publicity won't stick long term. Massive financial hole, but that was happening regardless if it happened or not.

Yeah, this. Who knows what this means for the event in 2022 but that's impossible to predict.

Well Done to Novak, he's done it again.

One of the my least slam finals in a long time though, Medvedev was the one of the worst performances in a slam final in a long time.

Interviewers usually want people to say something from their own mouths. He knew exactly what he was doing with that question lol.
He was not interviewing anyone. It was a musing, a ponder. Groth could have quite easily spoken about how Djokovic's intensity after the match shows that he is determined in achieving the greatest goal. Novak was the same after his win in Australia last year. He has a clear focus that Groth could have spoken about and analysed.

From my own selfish perspective, 100% yes.
I went to the Kyrgios vs Thiem match which was great fun, loved the Tsitsipas-Nadal match, same as Karatsev's run through the tournament. The Muguruza vs Osaka contest was probably the best of the tournament. And Djokovic achieved #18, so ultimately that is what I wanted!

He was not interviewing anyone. It was a musing, a ponder. Groth could have quite easily spoken about how Djokovic's intensity after the match shows that he is determined in achieving the greatest goal. Novak was the same after his win in Australia last year. He has a clear focus that Groth could have spoken about and analysed.
Ah gotcha.
Yeah, an idiot.

Now that it is all done, was running the Aus Open worth it this year? With the amount of money that Tennis Australia has lost on it, the amount of negative publicity it attracted in some quarters, the lack of crowds (both during the 5 days and the rest of the tournament), I am not sure that it was.

Yes, big yes. It's giving some hope of normality to the other part of the world that not as lucky as we are.

It's not without hiccup but I think it's worth it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Pretty sure this was the first major global event to go ahead with substantial numbers of people in attendance since the pandemic began. It didn't go perfectly to plan with one player testing positive and ~70 players being stuck in their five-star hotel rooms for two weeks and five days of empty arenas due to an (IMO) ill-advised snap lockdown but on the whole it's fair to say that this was a success. The most important thing in running it was ensuring that it stays in Melbourne/Australia for the foreseeable future, there's been talk for at least a decade of China looking to land a major tennis tournament and the Australian Open is obviously the most vulnerable of the major slams.
And who better to boost China's chances of doing exactly that than their favourite Australian asset: Daniel Andrews. Considering how hard this idiot is trying to push through the belt and road agreement, its only natural he'd be happy to hand over the Grand Slam in exchange for another generous donation.

By the way, Melbourne Park is far better than the shitheap the Americans have in Queens.

This one means a lot. For the unjust USO20 disqualification IMO, for being written off after RG20, and most importantly for all the undeserved hate.
It was huge. A massive mental battle and this one on reflection is going to mean so much. The media, the fans, the injury, the red hot opponent, he has been through so much and to get #18 is a sign of his incredible mental strength.

This one means a lot. For the IMO unjust USO20 disqualification, for being written off after RG20, and most importantly for all the undeserved hate.

For being written off after RG20 - sure

For the ‘undeserved hate’ - highly debatable but sure, I accept it’s a matter of opinion

But you reckon the disqualification at the US was unjust? Even Djokovic himself and most of his fans conceded that was fair and written black and white in the rules. Not sure where you got unjust from.

For being written off after RG20 - sure

For the ‘undeserved hate’ - highly debatable but sure, I accept it’s a matter of opinion

But you reckon the disqualification at the US was unjust? Even Djokovic himself and most of his fans conceded that was fair and written black and white in the rules. Not sure where you got unjust from.

Disqualification was reasonable despite the fact the lines person put a lot of Mayo on it. Don’t have an issue with it though.

Back