Opinion New AFC HQ: Send in the Bulldozers! Thebarton is Happening!

What should we do?

• Total voters

hey shorty

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts TheBrownDog
Jun 15, 2005
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
AUFC, Everton, Sturt
Olsen "The deal on the table from the SANFL was just too good to ignore and in the end the deadline for the federal funding meant that we had to commit straight away rather than fully explore other options."

We all know what's going to happen.
I think we've got guaranteed funding from the feds

Jun 21, 2004
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
49ers, AFC Wimbledon, Utah Jazz
I think we've got guaranteed funding from the feds

We do, but the SANFL have funding of their own from the State Government for Thebarton and obviously they want to know whether we're putting our funding into their Thebarton Oval kitty or not before they decide what they're going to do.

I'm imagining that the SANFL may want to push on before the state election to ensure they get the money.

Last edited:
Aug 7, 2015
AFL Club
Adelaide
Olsen "The deal on the table from the SANFL was just too good to ignore and in the end the deadline for the federal funding meant that we had to commit straight away rather than fully explore other options."

Also didn't Olsen say a few weeks ago that he wanted it finalised by the end of Feb? It all sounds very convenient to me.
dum-dum-dummm-gif.442674

hey shorty

Cancelled
Jun 15, 2005
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
AUFC, Everton, Sturt
We do, but the SANFL have funding of their own from the State Government for Thebarton and obviously they want to know whether we're putting our funding into their Thebarton Oval kitty or not before they decide what they're going to do.
Olsen is the pres of the liberals here is he not ??

If he wants money for the club we'll get it.

hey shorty

Cancelled
Jun 15, 2005
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
AUFC, Everton, Sturt

Also didn't Olsen say a few weeks ago that he wanted it finalised by the end of Feb? It all sounds very convenient to me.
I think that was the CEO stuff from memory, which also can't be done due to travel restrictions

hey shorty

Cancelled
Jun 15, 2005
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
AUFC, Everton, Sturt
From what I'm aware the funding we have is Federal and the grant the SANFL has is state.
We'll end up with what we need from who we need it from.

I really don't like the ultimatums given to us, I mean the SANFL can't be that stupid. We pull out and the facility they get is but a patch on what it would be if we rolled into Thebarton.

Be careful of the hand that feeds you would be my recommendation

Oct 9, 2004
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
CDFC
We'll end up with what we need from who we need it from.

I really don't like the ultimatums given to us, I mean the SANFL can't be that stupid. We pull out and the facility they get is but a patch on what it would be if we rolled into Thebarton.

Be careful of the hand that feeds you would be my recommendation
Yes but that facility with funding is better than what they currently have.

hey shorty

Cancelled
Jun 15, 2005
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
AUFC, Everton, Sturt
Yes but that facility with funding is better than what they currently have.
It's in the best interests of the SANFL to have us there, they shouldn't be making demands.

Aug 17, 2007
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
The Autobots and Team America
I wouldn't mind that
I am just guessing, but the Supercars are gone and giving the land to us for our HQ would make it harder for an ALP Government to bring it back.

Olsen is still Liberal President......

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

bootrossbootross

minor rules infractor
Jan 6, 2021
AFL Club
Adelaide
Firstly, it wasn't Port Magpies 'greater vision'. Nice try to sneak that in.
Port Magpies decided to sell out SA footy. That's what happened. They screwed all of us over, and in doing so have directly led to the extended VFL competition we have now, where we have zero say in the league itself. So, yeh, thanks Port.

I have no interest in pre-1990 as far as AFL records go. Mainly because they don't exist. The AFL started in 1990. Any record before that is completely irrelevant. It would therefore be hypocritical to try and claim any connection to heritage before that.

Sam Newman's records at Geelong have about as much relevance to todays AFL game as his opinions do to todays society.

Port were proactive and tried to join the best competition at the time and the SANFL was left stumbling and bumbling. Not sure thats selling out given it prompted the lazy SANFL fatcats to actually get a team together like the fans wanted. Really we are all indebted to Port, which kind of sucks if you grew up hating them like most bipeds did. The current AFL was never going to be anything other than what it ís today - a big VFL. And we have 50 more years of it at least. FWIW and completely off topic - there is a way out - it just needs an Twiggy Forrest or some other billionaire to create a breakaway National comp that has 16 teams (6 Vic, 2 WA, 2 SA, 2 NSW, 2 Qu, 1 NT and 1 T) plays a proper full home/away season, awards ladder position to scoring teams (not just winning teams) and has finals locations based on ladder positions not corporate interests. Easy, but sorry off topic a bit...

I concur that VFL records dont belong in the AFL, but that is the way it is given we just have an extended VFL. So why wouldnt you want the SANFL greats to have representation amongst the any pre 1990 talk? I didnt like him as a player but it galls me every time they parade the 400+ gamers around and Craig Bradley is not there.

I dont ignore the F1 stars of yesteryear, or even Brocky, even though both of those sports are unrecogniseable from the time they competed. So I argue Sam's records are completely relevant, maybe just not to you (or me for that matter). They just need to be absorbed within context - which is all Im saying about embracing SANFL history.

Aug 4, 2004
on planet Crow
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
36ers
Port were proactive and tried to join the best competition at the time and the SANFL was left stumbling and bumbling. Not sure thats selling out given it prompted the lazy SANFL fatcats to actually get a team together like the fans wanted. Really we are all indebted to Port, which kind of sucks if you grew up hating them like most bipeds did. The current AFL was never going to be anything other than what it ís today - a big VFL. And we have 50 more years of it at least. FWIW and completely off topic - there is a way out - it just needs an Twiggy Forrest or some other billionaire to create a breakaway National comp that has 16 teams (6 Vic, 2 WA, 2 SA, 2 NSW, 2 Qu, 1 NT and 1 T) plays a proper full home/away season, awards ladder position to scoring teams (not just winning teams) and has finals locations based on ladder positions not corporate interests. Easy, but sorry off topic a bit...

I concur that VFL records dont belong in the AFL, but that is the way it is given we just have an extended VFL. So why wouldnt you want the SANFL greats to have representation amongst the any pre 1990 talk? I didnt like him as a player but it galls me every time they parade the 400+ gamers around and Craig Bradley is not there.

I dont ignore the F1 stars of yesteryear, or even Brocky, even though both of those sports are unrecogniseable from the time they competed. So I argue Sam's records are completely relevant, maybe just not to you (or me for that matter). They just need to be absorbed within context - which is all Im saying about embracing SANFL history.
Ah well, here is where you don't understand the history.

All SANFL teams had agreed NOT to join the VFL. The SANFL were holding out and in doing so, strengthening their bargaining position. They wanted a greater say in the competition. It wasn't lazy fat cats like you claim. Had they continued holding out, we wouldn't have the extended VFL like we do now. Port shouldn't be congratulated for being proactive. They should have been hung for treason (or at least permanently banned from the SANFL with all records removed).

After agreeing, Port went behind the other clubs backs and undermined the SANFL. They literally stabbed the SANFL in the back. In doing so, Port removed any and all negotiating power the SANFL had. Instead they had to go cap in hand and beg to get their team entered and do so in a rush. The VFL bias we see today is 100% thanks to Port's treachery.
On a side note, when the VFL subsequently turned their backs on Port and allowed the Crows to be formed, they also agreed to allow Port to be the second team from SA. The whole 'application' process that was done later and all the presentations etc... were a complete farce. Port had already been guaranteed entry.

Whilst I wish your Twiggy scenario would happen, the AFL have protected themselves so it isn't possible. All the clubs would have to be new entities as the AFL own all names and colours of the clubs. The players are also owned by the AFL are wouldn't be able to move until out of contract. It's just not possible.

Anyway, please stop pretending to be a Crows supporter. You are clearly a Port troll.

Oct 1, 2003
Adelaide, Australia
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
NFC AUFC MUFC Socceroos

All SANFL teams had agreed NOT to join the VFL. The SANFL were holding out and in doing so, strengthening their bargaining position. They wanted a greater say in the competition. It wasn't lazy fat cats like you claim. Had they continued holding out, we wouldn't have the extended VFL like we do now. Port shouldn't be congratulated for being proactive. They should have been hung for treason (or at least permanently banned from the SANFL with all records removed).

After agreeing, Port went behind the other clubs backs and undermined the SANFL. They literally stabbed the SANFL in the back. In doing so, Port removed any and all negotiating power the SANFL had. Instead they had to go cap in hand and beg to get their team entered and do so in a rush. The VFL bias we see today is 100% thanks to Port's treachery.
On a side note, when the VFL subsequently turned their backs on Port and allowed the Crows to be formed, they also agreed to allow Port to be the second team from SA. The whole 'application' process that was done later and all the presentations etc... were a complete farce. Port had already been guaranteed entry.

Whilst I wish your Twiggy scenario would happen, the AFL have protected themselves so it isn't possible. All the clubs would have to be new entities as the AFL own all names and colours of the clubs. The players are also owned by the AFL are wouldn't be able to move until out of contract. It's just not possible.

Anyway, please stop pretending to be a Crows supporter. You are clearly a Port troll.
Summed up very well, all Ports actions did were to guarantee Victorian run dominance of a 'national' competition.

In fact the SANFL in 1982 were the first state board to suggest a nation wide comp

bootrossbootross

minor rules infractor
Jan 6, 2021
AFL Club
Adelaide

Cool story bro, broette or brothey/them. I especially like how you tell me what I dont understand, and who I am, and who i support. I fell your view is tainted with negativity, not possibility, but that may just be my read of it.

Now it absolutely can happen, it just takes enopugh money and an uncompromised vision. There are many well known examples of this exact concept working, Id suggest the players would follow the money, because they are humans. Sporting contracts are usually not worth the paper they are written on and easily dealt with, besides most likely it would be the AFL left to carry the candle, not individuals.

i agree that dealing with the club names/colours/logos etc isnt a straight transition, but it doesnt need to be. Especially given 4-6 of the current Vic AFL teams need to be relocated/merged/relegated for a true national comp to work.

In any case, it doesnt even need to succeed - the end game could be to bring the AFL to the table and force a restructure of the AFL commission/competition structure - this would happen if the top 200 players in the comp expressed a desire to walk. Its entirely supposition on my behalf but I think most of the fans and the faithful would follow the players, and the clubs would be forced to make a choice.

Again, none of this is new or untried, the only way to guarantee it can never work is never trying it.

Jul 27, 2004
Las Vegas
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Norwood
I am just guessing, but the Supercars are gone and giving the land to us for our HQ would make it harder for an ALP Government to bring it back.

The only thing I can see that would allow us to go to Vic park, is you could build the Headquarters stuff on Fullarton Road or just off East terrace and still have the training facilities on the parklands.

So its a win for the council, oval upkeep paid by others and no new construction on parkland.

Last edited:
Aug 4, 2004
on planet Crow
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
36ers
Cool story bro, broette or brothey/them. I especially like how you tell me what I dont understand, and who I am, and who i support. I fell your view is tainted with negativity, not possibility, but that may just be my read of it.

Now it absolutely can happen, it just takes enopugh money and an uncompromised vision. There are many well known examples of this exact concept working, Id suggest the players would follow the money, because they are humans. Sporting contracts are usually not worth the paper they are written on and easily dealt with, besides most likely it would be the AFL left to carry the candle, not individuals.

i agree that dealing with the club names/colours/logos etc isnt a straight transition, but it doesnt need to be. Especially given 4-6 of the current Vic AFL teams need to be relocated/merged/relegated for a true national comp to work.

In any case, it doesnt even need to succeed - the end game could be to bring the AFL to the table and force a restructure of the AFL commission/competition structure - this would happen if the top 200 players in the comp expressed a desire to walk. Its entirely supposition on my behalf but I think most of the fans and the faithful would follow the players, and the clubs would be forced to make a choice.

Again, none of this is new or untried, the only way to guarantee it can never work is never trying it.

The reply of someone who knows they are well out of their depth.

Run along Port troll. No-one here is believing your cr@p.

The council is slowly turning everything south of the racetrack into gardens, woodlands, wetlands, and public walking trails/cycling trails/recreation areas. Nothing else is going in there, and the state Liberals really don't have a say.

Aug 17, 2007
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
The Autobots and Team America
The council is slowly turning everything south of the racetrack into gardens, woodlands, wetlands, and public walking trails/cycling trails/recreation areas. Nothing else is going in there, and the state Liberals really don't have a say.
Yeah I have noticed that. Turning into some decent usable space.

Could still fit our HQ there, but I know it won't happen. Was just a guess.

Yeah I have noticed that. Turning into some decent usable space.

Could still fit our HQ there, but I know it won't happen. Was just a guess.

If anyone wanted in there, the time to do it was 2007, just before the SAJC put up the abandoned signs, and when you could still slide dodgy things through the greasy Rann government with the right lubricant.

rocket18

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 9, 2009
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Goody Saints
I like how the Port Idiot reckons "its a cool story" that Port voted to not enter into the VFL at that time but to keep negotiating for a better deal. The VFL were hemorrhaging money and needed an SA team.

Port then undermined the whole process thinking how clever they were going behind the other SANFL clubs backs.

Meanwhile the VFL are sitting back laughing at how they played Port and got the SA team they wanted with conditions all biased towards the VFL.

This is factual, not a cool story.

Go Powah Bro.

Last edited:
Jun 21, 2004
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
49ers, AFC Wimbledon, Utah Jazz
VFL never wanted port, and used them to get what they did want

No better evidence that Port were played than the anonymous tip off that Mike Sheehan received about the whole thing.

After hearing Sheehan talk about it it's blatantly obvious that it was deliberately leaked by the AFL to give the SANFL a chance to come to the party.

Back