Position 2021 Defenders

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Martin also says the Blues are “desperate” to end their eight-year finals drought, having learned plenty from a string of near-misses in 2020, with Martin set to tag-team through the midfield and forward line this year alongside high-priced off-season recruit Zac Williams.

Martin is keen to push more into the midfield this year, looking at a 50-50 split along with former Giants defender Williams, who will have a different role at Carlton.

“It’d probably be 50-50, depending on how the game’s going,” he said. “He’ll go forward, I’ll go midfield. We’re just building that little combination I guess.”

Martin also says the Blues are “desperate” to end their eight-year finals drought, having learned plenty from a string of near-misses in 2020, with Martin set to tag-team through the midfield and forward line this year alongside high-priced off-season recruit Zac Williams.

Martin is keen to push more into the midfield this year, looking at a 50-50 split along with former Giants defender Williams, who will have a different role at Carlton.

“It’d probably be 50-50, depending on how the game’s going,” he said. “He’ll go forward, I’ll go midfield. We’re just building that little combination I guess.”

1613876178060.gif

Surely not what anyone jumping on Zwill wants to hear.
Gone from full time, to 50/50 already.
Probably be shuffled to the backline by round 3.
Probably nursing a hammy by round 5.

He's not in my team currently, been hoping for a reason not to pick him. Gun player but gets hurt so much, hardly seems to finish a game without the "band-aid" icon on FF. Used to be stressful watching GWS with him and Whitfield.

Andrew Birch hoddo
Neville Jetta??
Price is right, would he be a genuine option if (as seems more likely) Gould, Highmore and co. are not in rd 1 squads?
What happened to him last year?
Sadly he's lost all form over the past year or so. Looks like age has caught up with him. With the emergence of Rivers and Lockhart as the small defenders it looks unlikely he'll regain his spot in the team. In all fairness he was never really a good SC option even at his top. Great in his role as a player, but too few SC points.

Last edited:
Sadly he's lost all form over the past year or so. Looks like age has caught up with him. With the emergence of Rivers and Lockhart as the small defenders it looks unlikely he'll regain his spot in the time. In all fairness he was never really a good SC option even at his top. Great in his role as a player, but too few SC points.

Very good lock down defender.

Renton Roberts type scorer tho.

"Licence to thrill: Blues to unleash 'explosive' recruit in midfield" https://www.afl.com.au/news/547814/licence-to-thrill-blues-to-unleash-explosive-recruit-in-midfield

Id say Martin is the better forward, Williams the better mid, and it'll be more like 70-30. As the article says, Williams has been training exclusively with the midfield.

tumblr_my8hkuLpJX1qcbojfo7_r1_250.gif

Martin rabbiting on about sharing mid minutes with Wiliams and now Newman looks gone which might mean Williams is needed in defence more. Not really filling me with much confidence his role will change all that much at the Blues even if he does stay fit. Do not want.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Williams is underpriced even if he does play a bit of half back. 94 in 2018 and 91 after his first three games in 2020 playing mostly half back. Midfield minutes are a bonus but he's still a justifiable pick without them IMO, at worst he'll still be a cheap D6.

Williams is underpriced even if he does play a bit of half back. 94 in 2018 and 91 after his first three games in 2020 playing mostly half back. Midfield minutes are a bonus but he's still a justifiable pick without them IMO, at worst he'll still be a cheap D6.
Will score well when fit. No chance he plays 22 games though which is the problem.

What's the go with Dan Houston?

He's close to the same starting price as he was last season when a heap started with him.

Is he training with the backs or the mids?

He had a good end to last season after coming back from the suspension:
1613966375545.png

He's close to the same starting price as he was last season when a heap started with him.

Is he training with the backs or the mids?

He had a good end to last season after coming back from the suspension:
View attachment 1062844
As someone who avoided being burnt by him last season, you would think id come in with an open mind but i just cant bring myself to consider him strongly. I do agree that there could be potential but there are lots of young Port players pushing for more midfield time and im just not sure Houston will get enough time in there. Even if he does, i dont think he is good enough to really explode and increase in value so quickly that you cant really fit him in. Could be value, but definitely not for me. So he is a wait and see (at best).

Milera deliberately trips his own teammates. s**t bloke, cross him off your list.

As someone who avoided being burnt by him last season, you would think id come in with an open mind but i just cant bring myself to consider him strongly. I do agree that there could be potential but there are lots of young Port players pushing for more midfield time and im just not sure Houston will get enough time in there. Even if he does, i dont think he is good enough to really explode and increase in value so quickly that you cant really fit him in. Could be value, but definitely not for me. So he is a wait and see (at best).

Houston scored better as a defender last year anyway. Can't see myself picking him up but you could do worse.

View attachment 1062844
LOLOLOLOLOL ahhh yesss we know him very well.

Be Careful

bricktop5.jpg

Last edited:
I never got sucked in to the hype. 😎👍

I'm sure I picked some other spud though. 😭

Edit - Oh yes, Naismith over Gawn. 😜
pfft not even comparable.

Here's an insight into the steel trap genius known as Bollox's mind.
Had an ordinary looking D4 and very much still undecided the day before open. No idea why but the world seemed to luv Dan Houston. Surely they all cant be wrong. So Bollox the Magnificent makes a last minute change to bring him in.
69, 60, 73, 76.... :straining::straining::straining::straining::straining::straining::straining::straining::straining::straining::straining::straining::straining::straining::poo::poo::poo::poo::poo::poo::poo::poo::poo::poo::poo::poo::poo:

Hey, Naismith was cheap, like dirt cheap type of cheap. He also made SOME sense despite the obvious injury risk. Went 120 in his first game :p. Happy Dayz :thumbsu:
At least you knew you got it right and had that 1 game dutch ruddering the mob. Meanwhile, from the moment the season opened the Houston mob were publicly burning his effigy and defacing pictures of him with droopy dicks near every orifice.

Plus, (and here's the sealer) Houston became like a great dane had taken an enormous dump on my driveway and i spent half a season trying to back out around it. Every week there was a promise of improvement. At least Sammy Naismith forced a fast cleanup.

Sorry, but it just aint the same feeling.

No Milera's for me this year.

pfft not even comparable.

Here's an insight into the steel trap genius known as Bollox's mind.
Had an ordinary looking D4 and very much still undecided the day before open. No idea why but the world seemed to luv Dan Houston. Surely they all cant be wrong. So Bollox the Magnificent makes a last minute change to bring him in.
69, 60, 73, 76.... :straining::straining::straining::straining::straining::straining::straining::straining::straining::straining::straining::straining::straining::straining::poo::poo::poo::poo::poo::poo::poo::poo::poo::poo::poo::poo::poo:

Hey, Naismith was cheap, like dirt cheap type of cheap. He also made SOME sense despite the obvious injury risk. Went 120 in his first game :p. Happy Dayz :thumbsu:
At least you knew you got it right and had that 1 game dutch ruddering the mob. Meanwhile, from the moment the season opened the Houston mob were publicly burning his effigy and defacing pictures of him with droopy dicks near every orifice.

Plus, (and here's the sealer) Houston became like a great dane had taken an enormous dump on my driveway and i spent half a season trying to back out around it. Every week there was a promise of improvement. At least Sammy Naismith forced a fast cleanup.

Sorry, but it just aint the same feeling.

No Milera's for me this year.
Lolz...

capture.gif

Milera deliberately trips his own teammates. sh*t bloke, cross him off your list.

Houston scored better as a defender last year anyway. Can't see myself picking him up but you could do worse.
That is ordinary. Would be sitting out round 1 if I was coach.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back