Round 1 team 2021

the correct way to display a team is

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Keays was a rare positive last year and great in the trial match again. Surprised to see him on the outer in so many of the teams posted here.
I can understand why, I mean he's a limited sort of player.

But he's not going anywhere yet.

Opposition defenders will be licking their lips to rebound out of that fwd line.

Would love to see Berry or Pedlar push their case for a round 1 gig too.

The red carpet defensive system will be in full effect. If we want to be good, it's Tex or Fog, not both. But Tex can't play 2s and we need games into Fog, so we'll have to suck it up.

Opposition defenders will be licking their lips to rebound out of that fwd line.

Would love to see Berry or Pedlar push their case for a round 1 gig too.
Yep one quick in Macadam and he’s not known for defensive effort. May as well install a travelator in their back half

Yep one quick in Macadam and he’s not known for defensive effort. May as well install a travelator in their back half
He WASN'T known for defensive effort, but you only had to watch him last year to know he's more than good enough in that area.

FF: Rowe, Himmelberg, McAdam
HF: Walker, Fogarty, Hately
C: Sholl, Crouch, Lynch
HB: Smith, McAsey, Milera
FB: McPherson, Butts, Brown

1st R: O'Brien, Sloane, Laird
Int: Schoenberg, Jones, Worrell, Keays

Em: McHenry, Pedlar, Murphy
Inj: Talia, Doedee

I think they play Murphy, but not sure who comes out, realistically. Maybe they decide they don't need the extra tall on the bench, but it limits our options.

Brown butts mcpherson
Smith mcasey milera
Scholl crouch jones
Mchenry tex lynch
Rowe tilthorpe mcadam
Rob sloane laird

Keays hately pedlar schoenberg

Emg
FOG worral hammil berry

Talia and doedee to replace butts and mcasey.
That fullback line sounds like something Andy McPherson would have been called in primary school

Sent from my SM-N986B using Tapatalk

Can't agree with your McAdam statement that he's not known for his defensive efforts, I actually think it's one of his very strong attributes watching him firstly for Sturt then the Crows SANFL and AFL.

Last edited:
Huh, do you actually watch our games?

McAdam is a repeat effort pressure player.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Assuming Talia does play opener and Doedee doesn't. Here are what I think are the realistic locks and leading contenders for round 1.

Defence locks (4)
Talia Brown McPherson Smith

Contenders
(1 or 2 of) Kelly Worrell Hamill Hinge
(1 of) Butts Mcasey

Midfield locks (6)
O'Brien Sloane Crouch Laird Sholl Keays

(2 or 3 of): Hately Milera Schoenberg McHenry
(1 or 2 of) Seedsman Jones Mackay

Forward locks (3)
Walker McAdam Lynch

Contenders
(1 of): Himmelberg Frampton
(1/2/3 of): Murphy Fogarty Rowe

Predicted:
Brown Talia Kelly
Smith Butts McPherson
Jones Sloane Sholl
O'Brien Crouch Laird
Lynch Walker Schoenberg
McAdam Himmelberg Murphy
INT: Keays, Hately, Milera, Fogarty

Would love to see Worrell or Hamill over Kelly but think they will play it safe with prospect of facing Hawkins, Cameron and Dangerfield.

Feels they really want Milera and Jones in so guess Seedsman and Rowe will be close ones who miss out. Could easily be Fogarty if doesn't show in next two games. Frampton must have some chance of usurping Berg too.

As good as they look don't see other first year players having a chance no matter how good they play in two warm-ups.

Assuming Talia does play opener and Doedee doesn't. Here are what I think are the realistic locks and leading contenders for round 1.

Defence locks (4)
Talia Brown McPherson Smith

Contenders
(1 or 2 of) Kelly Worrell Hamill Hinge
(1 of) Butts Mcasey

Midfield locks (6)
O'Brien Sloane Crouch Laird Sholl Keays

(2 or 3 of): Hately Milera Schoenberg McHenry
(1 or 2 of) Seedsman Jones Mackay

Forward locks (3)
Walker McAdam Lynch

Contenders
(1 of): Himmelberg Frampton
(1/2/3 of): Murphy Fogarty Rowe

Predicted:
Brown Talia Kelly
Smith Butts McPherson
Jones Sloane Sholl
O'Brien Crouch Laird
Lynch Walker Schoenberg
McAdam Himmelberg Murphy
INT: Keays, Hately, Milera, Fogarty

Would love to see Worrell or Hamill over Kelly but think they will play it safe with prospect of facing Hawkins, Cameron and Dangerfield.

Feels they really want Milera and Jones in so guess Seedsman and Rowe will be close ones who miss out. Could easily be Fogarty if doesn't show in next two games. Frampton must have some chance of usurping Berg too.

As good as they look don't see other first year players having a chance no matter how good they play in two warm-ups.
Why murphy? Mchenry had alot more impact in the trial game imo. Yeah he missed a few shots on goal but murphys no dead eye dick. In terms of pressure mchenry by the length of the flemington straight in that game.

Why murphy? Mchenry had alot more impact in the trial game imo. Yeah he missed a few shots on goal but murphys no dead eye dick. In terms of pressure mchenry by the length of the flemington straight in that game.
Tend to agree with you but can't see coaches going with that at round 1. Imagine he's behind Rowe and with them wanting Milera to be mid/forward his chance is lessened. Imagine team could be quite different midway through the season.

From what I've seen of Neddy since joining the Crows and prior at the Falcons/Vic Country essentially our coaching staff see him as a player they want in and around the contest far more than the small pressure forward role with his elite running power, kamikaze attack on the ball and ball carrier and the way he brings other players into the game when in possession.

My rolling best 22 from the preseason games, and factoring injuries into the mix as well:

B: Doedee, Butts, Brown
HB: Smith, McAsey, McPherson
C: Sholl, Crouch, Jones
HF: McAdam, Himmelberg, Hately
F: Rowe, Walker, Fogarty
R: O'Brien, Sloane, Laird
Int: Schoenberg, Hamill, Milera, Pedlar

E: McHenry, Keays, Lynch

I was wrong when I said the trial didn't change anything, it changed one thing, and that's Pedlar needs to be a best 22 player as soon as possible. He might be that superstar mid we're looking for to anchor this rebuild. Just some things he was doing in the trial were far beyond his years in quality. Lynch is the bubble player here and replaces Doedee if he isn't fit (with a shuffle that sees McPherson play the Doedee role and Lynch up to the wing). An unfortunate one for Tom, but I really loathe to drop any of the kids to accommodate him (I.e. Hamill or Jones). Keays is also in a similar boat where again, I loathe to drop Schoenberg or Pedlar to accommodate him.

I also want Thilthorpe in this lineup, though where is damn difficult to pick. I don't particularly want to give up on Fogarty as there is certainly a high-quality player there, as much as I'd be changing his role to a mid-forward in the Stringer mould yesterday.

It's also getting noticeably more difficult to pick a best 22, however, whilst that bodes well for a rebuild, it also indicates this season is going to be a slog.

Last edited:
Im still going with

F: Rowe, Himmelberg, Stengle
HF: Mcadam, Thilthorpe, Hately
C: Hamill, Fogarty, Schoenberg
HB: Worrel, Mcasey, Doedee
B: Mcpherson, Butts, Smith
R: Obrien, Laird, Scholl
Int: Sloane, Cook, Pedlar, Milera
Emerg: Talia, Walker, Lynch, Mckay, Frampton

I cant see Fogarty ever making it as a key forward, he hasnt really shown anything at the top level. Sure, he hasnt had much chance, but imho he hasnt got the body to be a key position player. I hope he gets a run in the middle or as a follower.

Cook ain't playing much footy at any level for 2 months.

Tom Doedee and David Mackay have both been ruled out of Saturday’s practice match against Port Adelaide but Mitch Hinge is a chance to play his first game for his new Club.
Doedee re-aggravated a groin injury last Monday and while he has resumed running he will not play against the Power at Alberton.
Neither will Mackay who was concussed in Saturday’s internal trial game at West Lakes and has been automatically ruled out for at least 12 days by the AFL’s new concussion protocols.
Shane McAdam (corked glute) and Sam Berry (stubbed toe) were both assessed after the internal trial game and are expected to play against Port Adelaide.
Hinge, who joined the Crows from Brisbane in the off-season, will be assessed after training on Tuesday and Thursday ahead of selection.
He dislocated his shoulder during training last Monday but scans showed he does not require surgery and he acted as the runner during Saturday’s internal trial.
Daniel Talia continues to make progress in his rehabilitation from knee surgery and is expected to be available in the early rounds of the season.
Meanwhile, first-year draftee Brayden Cook is aiming to be available for selection in Round Five of the AFL season after having a shoulder reconstruction last year.

Back